dizzyness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
dizzyness

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I have noticed that when I am laying down for a while on the couch or my bed and then just get up all of a sudden, I sometimes get really dizzy.... to the point where I need to sit back down for a second, and then I'm totally fine and then I can get up and walk around.

I do not at all get dizzy when I am laying down or sitting down.... it's only when I get up after laying down for a long time.

My guess is that I'm getting up too fast, and not giving myself enough time to adjust from laying down to standing up, so nothing to worry about other than maybe I should get up slower!

It's not like I just POP up off the couch because I can't do that yet. But, I will be laying down, and I'll kind of roll over, and push myself up and then just stand up. So, I just wonder if I'm doign this too fast.

I just thought I'd ask just to see if all of you thought this is just a matter of me getting up too fast, or if you thought maybe this is worth calling my doctor about? I'm not too worried, but I've read a couple posts off and on about some people having dizziness, and then it just kind of got me thinking....

I do remeber in the hospital, every time I went to get out of bed (when the nurses were helping me), I'd sit up and start to skip the "sit up on my bed before i stand up stage" and my nurse would say, "OH, don't stand up yet... let your body adjust. We don't want you to faint."

So, I THINK maybe I'm just getting up too fast.... does it sound like that to all of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
dizzyness

Hi again LTR

The dizziness can be from a number of things - Do you have a cold or allergies that would cause fluid in the ears? Sometimes that will upset your balance. Also, if you have a blood pressure cuff at home I would check your pressure. Dizziness can occur when your blood pressure is low. Laying around, inactive, can also impair your balance. I don't know if it's anything to panic about since it goes away. You definitely want to sit up, let your body adjust to the upright position, then stand so you don't fall over and hurt yourself. Do mention it to the doctor when you see him/her. If the symptoms get worse don't wait for your next appointment.

Unread 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
dizzyness

No, I don't have a cold right now and i don't suffer from allergies at all. I feel totally healthy right now. I do not have a BP cuff, so I can't check it.

I'm guessing it's the laying around and being inactive because that is so totally opposite of my normal life-style. Or, like I'm guessing.... that it might have to do with just not letting my body adjust to the upright position.

I'll keep an eye on it and if I feel it does get worse (which it hasn't at all), I'll call the doc.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM
dizzyness

Hi LTR!

I don't lay down during the day so I can't relate to that (I recline), but for the past couple of days when I wake up in the morning I feel very dizzy/lightheaded. Now you have me wondering if maybe I'm getting up too fast after sleeping all night. I am quite fast at getting out of bed now so maybe it is because I am not giving my body time to adjust. I know I have low blood pressure so maybe that might be why as well. GoodThoughts raised some interesting points... Thanks!

Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM
dizzyness

LTR -

I just started feeling this way yesterday and it has continued today. I am also just trying to move slower but I also thought when I see my Dr on Tuesday I will ask them to check and ensure I'm not anemic still. I got blood in the hospital but I know dizziness can be sign of that. Maybe if it continues you should check that also. Plus when I was in the hospital my pottasium was low and they had it hanging round the clock for the last three days. I'm going to have that checked too although I'm not sure what symptoms that would give.

Good Luck and I hope it clears up for you,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM
dizzyness

Starbgirl,

First of all, I hope you are feeling better and recovering well!!

This might be kind of a dumb question, but how long does it take to become anemic? The reason I'm asking is I was in the ER on Feb. 11, and they took my blood and checked for all sorts of things, and they told me my iron was fine, and I was never told there was any concern of anemia (amongst other things).

So, that was 11 days ago. I have no more post-op bleeding. So, my question is it is possible to become anemic in just 11 days? I have been experiencing this dizziness that I describe in my first post for more than just a couple days... I'd say I've been experiencing it for a week now.... but also, within the last week, I have started to feel better, which is why I probably can get up off the couch faster.

Anyway, just wondering about the amenia part.

Take care!
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
dizzyness

Hi Loves to run,
I'm having the exact same issue, but it is getting better as I get more active. When we used to travel between Germany and the US, (military) I always had a couple of days of feeling like dirt from the jet lag and laid around a lot. On those days I had the same kind of dizziness if I got up too quickly from lying down. In my case, I'm confident it is lack of activity and low blood pressure.

I hope feel better soon!
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
dizzyness

LTR -

I don't know??? When I was in the hospital for my abscess I wasn't bleeding that I knew of but I was getting more anemic by the day?? Strange.

I am feeling better. Today is day 3 with no percoset - yea!! I hate that stuff. I'm sure I'll have days when I still need it but for now I'm happy. I saw my Dr on Wed. It's the first time I saw him since my surgery because he was on vacation and I was seen in the hospital by the other surgeon and my Dr's partner. It was scary to hear him tell me about what happened. I was in bad shape! In any case I cannot physically return to work until the end of March!! Luckily I have worked for my company for 13 years and although it is not the scope of my job, they are going to allow me to work full time from home the WHOLE time!! I am so grateful as being a single mom, I was scared of disability, just 66% of my pay. So next week I am going to do 24 hours and if that goes well (and I think it will) I will be back full time from my bed from there on. I am so happy becasue I am SOOOO BORED

I hope you are also feeling well,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register