not for sure what to do... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not for sure what to do... not for sure what to do...

Unread 11-13-2002, 08:27 PM
not for sure what to do...

Im 31, I have been suffering from disfunctional bleeding for the past 3 years. After my 3 child was born I had my tubes tied. And that seems to be when my bleeding problems started. I went to see my doc. and was placed on birth control pills to see if this would help regulate my periods. After 3 different types of pills, I got pregnant. I misscarried, and again was placed back on pills to help regulate. Not knowing what else to do and feeling like I was just being a pain to the docs, (a women whom complains about being on a peroid) I just delt with this. 2 years went by and I fianlly had enough, went back in and was placed on progestren. OF course this didnt help. I had a vaginal ultra sound, they did find a small fibroid as well as a few cyst. My options were to have a hysteroscopy, and the endometrail ablation. I had this done and still bleeding... So now my husband and I are pretty sure this is the right direction to go. But still have questions, from vaginal or to have the cut. Do we let the doc take my ovaries, or not? I have had 3 c-sections. Just don't know. I do know that Im tired of wearing a DIAPER, and we are active duty military so kind of feel like were being treated like ginney pigs with the treatments that they have tried. ANY advice .........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2002, 08:57 PM

Although you are in the military, can you see a private physician to help you decide whether or not to keep your ovaries and determine the best way to perform surgery in your case? It sounds like you don't have a lot of confidence in the doctors you have been seeing, and it's important to feel confident in your surgeon's skills.

There are some links posted on this page that will help you do some research into your options so you can make an informed decision.

Take care.
Unread 11-14-2002, 02:36 AM
31 too

I'm 31 too and am 4.5 weeks post op from an LAVH. I know it's early days but so far I'm feeling 100% better, I kept my ovaries as my surgeon wouldn't remove healthy ovaries and I'm considered too young to go through surgical menopause (I'm in Australia). Haven't had any problems so far with my hormones except for a small amount of acne and oily hair where my hair and skin were exceptionally dry during the last few years.

I think you should go for a second opinion if possible about the whole thing - even if it seems expensive because you can't go back once it's gone and I also think it's much easier to recover emotionally if you go into the operation feeling extra confident that you're doing the right thing

Hope everything goes well for you and can thoroughly recommend the LAVH as long as it's done by a surgeon experienced in doing the procedure this way.

regards
Xaviera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2002, 10:34 AM

Welcome,

Sounds like the options you have tried are pretty common. Our insurance companys require our doctors to run us through many options and tests. I'm not saying that it feels fair, just that we have to go through it too..and we're not in the military. I'm so sorry that during all this, there was the loss of a child that you and your hubby also had to deal with. It's time for you to get healthy and you are so right to be asking questions and fighting for your future.

If your ovaries are good and healthy keep them. You're very young and having your own hormones is the best. Unless of course your Mother and or sister had ovarian cancer.

If you can have your surgery vaginally the recovery is shorter and a little easier. But...if you have abdominal surgery your doctor can clean up any adhesions caused from your c-sections and he can take a good look at the ovaries and the total pelvic region. If you choose this, ask your doctor to use a barrier to prevent future adhesions.

What ever you decide, do get a second and third opinion. Everyone has a right to that. By the time you have talked with another doctor and done your reading and research you will feel more confident with your decision. Keep asking, keep reading and remember, you're not alone.
Unread 11-15-2002, 07:37 PM

Hi ksc
You asked about ovaries ... you are very young, so if your ovaries are healthy and you don't have a family history of ovarian cancer I would say keep them. The hormones produced by your ovaries are very important and you are many years away from menopause.

As for the incision... since you've had 3 c-sections, you need to have a serious discussion with your gyn about possible adhesions that may be present. I have read that gals who had c-sections sometimes have adhesions that make it difficult to remove the uterus through the vaginal approach. Whatever incision you may have, the recovery is still 6 to 8 weeks because all the internal healing is about the same.

Keep reading and asking questions and make the decision that is best for YOU.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register