Definition of Abreviations? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Definition of Abreviations? Definition of Abreviations?

Unread 06-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Definition of Abreviations?

I just finished reading a post with all of the abreviations used on the sight. Very Helpful. QUESTION: how about help with a few definitions? I am having my cervix and uterus removed vaginally. My mother calls this a "Partial" Hysterectomy. Since I'm keeping my ovaries what is my official abreviation? (Surgery is Mon.6/30 7:30am yikes!) What are the definitions for SAH & TVH. Thanks for any info you can send my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 01:42 AM

Hi! I think I can help... having your uterus and cervix removed vaginally is a TVH = Total Vaginal Hysterectomy. A partial hysterectomy is when you keep your cervix, and that's done abdominally. It's also called an SAH (Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy).

Good luck with your surgery, I'll look forward to 'seeing' you over in Post Op!
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-28-2003, 05:11 AM

And just to add a bit to what Linda has already said, your mother is incorrect. The term "hysterectomy" refers to the removal of the uterus only, with partial or total meaning whether the whole uterus (which includes the cervix) or only part of it is removed.

If the ovaries are being removed also that is another term: salpingo-oopherectomy, or abbreviated SO. If both are removed it is bilateral or BSO.

So yes, you are having a Total Vaginal Hysterectomy, or TVH.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks for my Title

Just goes to show, Mothers don't always know everthing! She kept specifying that I was having a "Partial" meaning I was keeping my ovaries, meaning I wouldn't "go through the change"!
Old Wives Tales....glad to know my new title, I'll have to go into my profile and update. Busy getting my house in order for while I'm away! Thanks for all the Well Wishes. More later....
Unread 06-28-2003, 10:07 AM

If you're keeping your ovaries, in theory you won't have symptoms of menopause. However... there are a few things to be aware of. The ovaries get a large part of their blood supply from the uterine artery, and when the uterus is removed they lose that blood supply. That means that in some cases, the ovaries may shut down or go into "shock" after the surgery. Often this can last weeks or months, after which they may "wake up" and start working again. That means that if it happens to you, you may have some menopausal symptoms for a while and might even want some type of temporary hormone replacement.

Also, even if your ovaries are working following your hysterectomy, they may produce a little less (so you may still need just a smidgen of estrogen to prevent vaginal dryness) or they may work fine but then you may go through menopause a few years earlier than you would have if you hadn't had the surgery.

It's impossible to know for sure before the surgery what may happen. Hopefully your ovaries will come through it just fine and keep plugging away for many years to come, as has happened for many ladies here. But there are also many threads in Post Op and in the Hormone Jungle from ladies who have to deal with "sleeping" ovaries and temporary HRT. You might want to ask your DR at your Pre-Op what he/she plans to do if it happens to you.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-28-2003, 11:28 AM
More educated by the day

Linda, thanks for all of the info. I've been so busy getting things ready that I haven't done a lot of homework about my procedure. I remember reading somewhere on the sight about the above mentioned "worst case scenerios". It is good to know all the possibilities, to be prepared mentally for what your body may go through. My Doc is not real talkitive, if I didn't ask a question it is my own fault that it was not discussed. I've learned a lot from the Pros on this sight. Much more comfortable atmosphere than the Dr.s office. Linda, I bet your Kitty missed you when you were gone....I have 2 cats and a toy poodle who is velcro'd to my ankles. I love your photo! Regards, Deb (mylil6)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register