I am so scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am so scared I am so scared

Unread 11-09-2010, 06:24 AM
I am so scared

Hello I am a new member here. I am 27 two kids and I was told last week that having a complete hysterectomy was a option for me. A little background on my situation. In March of this year I had my period but it was extremely heavy an severely painful,since then I have been bleeding irregularly,painful intercourse,no desire,no energy at all and passing blood clots. I had a pap smear in May it came back with severe cervical dysplasia I had a colposcopy to remove all pre cancer cells,it was successful.They also placed me on birth control to try an regulate my periods and reduce the amount of blood loss. I have been to the doctor about 5 times since then with severe cramping an bleeding. I had a ultrasound done 3 weeks ago it didn't show anything abnormal,but my doctor said my uterus was a lil inlarged but not to much. She suggested that I start thinking about having a hysterectomy she said she thought I would feel a lot better after it was done. I will be having a D and C in December to try an help with the bleeding. But if that doesn't work we will be scheduling a hysterectomy the first of the year. So my question is do you think a hysterectomy is a good idea for me I don't want any more kids I already have my tubes tied. It sounds great to get rid of the pain but the being put to sleep and the emotional part really scares me to death. I just need some advice. Also the D&C I have never had and am dreading it also. Thanks in advance and sorry this was so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Re: I am so scared

Hello and welcome to the site. I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your periods... many of us have been there & can sympathize with your pain.

I had a d&c years back...the doc was pretty sure it would fix the heavy/lenghty periods. It worked for 3 months... after which time my period came back with a rengance. He had put me on birth control at the same time as the d&c... unfortunatly for me, neither proved to be of much help.

Because you do not want more children, you have already went one round with pre-cancerous cell removal and it sounds like you are ready to move forward with life minus the painful periods... I would atleast say you are doing the right thing by researching your options.

This site is a great place where you can ask questions, read the stories & questions shared by others and get real - down to earth stories from women who are either facing a hysterectomy, or those who have already had one done.

Did you doc say if she would leave your ovaries or atleast one of them?

I can tell you that the birth control measures never did anything for me expect make things worse. Only in the past year did I learn that with adenomyosis, birth control can actually make bleeding worse instead of better. When I think back to all the docs who told me "there is no way birth control makes your period worse" ... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply.. My doctor wants to take both ovaries because in the past I have had very large cysts,and she recommends doing a complete hysterectomy. I constantly hurt in my lower right side where my ovary is the pain never goes away! Today i have sit an cried all day,I hurt so bad and I am just sick of not feeling good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2010, 08:13 AM

I bled heavily... my periods never came on a normal cycle so some months I'd barely have a weeks rest before another one would rear its ugly head. Heavy bleeding... more like gushing. Pain so bad that towards the end I was taking very unsafe amounts of medicine desperate to find some relief. Being mortified when I went out shopping fully "armored up" tampon + pad and knowing the moment when both items failed .... not having enough energy to crawl off the couch some days. Constant headaches and my mood were like a roller coaster ride from hell.

Living life in constant pain isn't living life. You wake up every day and exist.... but you miss so much of your life, skirting around things you'd like to do because the pain is so great and even once the period passes.... the constant fatigue leaves you feeling like you are treading water in quick sand.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Oh, hon...you are NOT alone!!!

I have been almost completely where you are now, and I recommend you do the hyst and skip the D&C. Try to do it vaginally if at all possible, so you will be able to enjoy the holidays. Ask your DR to leave your ovaries---okay, just read about the cysts...TRY to keep one?!?

Read my story here: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=422367 and you will see I went through the same.

My TAH was 10/30. I am up and moving, although I am tired...but I DO tend to OVERDO myself! But the fact is that I AM NOT BLEEDING. IS IS SO NICE TO KEEP ON THE SAME PAIR OF PANTIES ALL DAY. It is WONDERFUL to not be getting blood drawn just to see if I need a transfusion! I have my life back!

Yes, surgery is scary. But in some way, you are taking control back of your life just by having the surgery.

Make sure to let us know what you decide. But, IMEO I suggest you do the hyst as minimally invasivally as you can and get your life back!
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Thank you so much I will be reading your story!
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM

One thing though----I would suggest a 2nd opinion, if nothing else than at least as to type of hyst and opinion on the ovaries. Even if you like your Dr, a 2nd opinion is wise and often gives more info that's helpful. Best wishes on your decision.
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
One thing though----I would suggest a 2nd opinion, if nothing else than at least as to type of hyst and opinion on the ovaries. Even if you like your Dr, a 2nd opinion is wise and often gives more info that's helpful. Best wishes on your decision.
Agreed. If anything, it will give you more confidence in your decision!
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM

I have seen the other doctors in the clinic 4 to be exact an they all tell me the same thing my biggest fear is being put to sleep..lol..thats the only worry I have.I can deal with the pain afterwords because I know once its over I should feel a ton better.
Unread 11-09-2010, 10:18 AM

I speak from my experience only... but you might wish to see a doctor in a different office for a true - unbiased second opinion. I saw a doctor who was in practice in the same office as my original gyn. He pretty much parroted everything that my original gyn had said. I finally took the plunge, did some research and found an absolutely amazing doctor who is a little more of a drive ~but~ he offered me an immediate plan of action - refused to allow me to stay in pain - and promised to be with me through the entire journey as we tried to figure out what was wrong.

Now...with that said, if you are comfortable with the doctor who would be doing the surgery & you are at peace with the decision & the plan of action....then the 2nd opinion may be one that you can skip.

Being put to sleep scares most people....for me it is the not knowing. Not having some leve of control over what is going on around me kinda scares me. You can talk with your doctor & they can even make time for you to talk to the anesthesiologist who will be attending you in surgery. Most of them come with a great bedside manner and can answer any (and as many) questions that you have which will hopefully offer you a new found level of comfort towards that aspect of the procedure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register