Hot flashes | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Hot flashes

What a great site, tyavm for being here and allowing me to share my anxieties
I was wondering how soon after surgery you ladies started experiencing hot flashes?
I am day 4 post op, had a TVH & BSO. I came home 2 days after surg, really don't stay too long in front of computer as yet but it sure feels good to be able to set here and read what others are saying. I am 49 YO, since the surg have been having some hot flashes, they are not so bad I can't stand them so far, altho I confess the AC stays on alot and my daughter complains of freezing.. *sigh* lol
The hysterectomy scene is truely a real jungle.. I dunno what to do far as hormone therapy, thought I would wait and see how 'needed' that becomes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Hot flashes

Hi flatbush,

I had my first hot flash on the 4th night after surgery and first thing next morning I insisted on some HRT. They gave me Premarin 0.625 and I have not had another hot flash since. I have since been to see my GP and she changed the Premarin for some gel stuff called Sandrena - which is a bio-identical product. I continue to be symptom free

There is some really good information on this site in the Hormone Jungle section - unfortunately the exact products they recommend are not available here in Australia.

I made a decision before my op that I was not going to wait for symptoms and see what I could 'handle' - I wanted any help that was available.

Good luck!
Unread 08-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Hot flashes

Hi How long it takes for symptoms to appear depends on the individual... I had a huge hot flash as soon as I got into my room after surgery (they'd forgotten to put the patch on me in the Recovery room).

We all have some stored estrogen reserves built up prior to surgery... estrogen can be stored in abdominal fat cells, so in general, ladies with more around the middle may have a longer 'grace period' before the hot flashes start, though it's not that simple. It also depends on how close you were to menopause prior to surgery, and how fast you use up the reserves you had (more active ladies, or those under more stress, use estrogen at a higher rate).

Do keep in mind that the hot flashes are just the most easily noticed symptom... other things can be going on behind the scenes. There is a huge potential for bone loss during the first year after a BSO if you are not on calcium plus estrogen or one of the bone building meds. Also, having hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings can make your recovery a whole lot more difficult (for you and for those around you! ).

I'd give the DR a call and let him/her know about the hot flashes. I'm assuming you discussed the HRT decision with the DR before the surgery, but if you didn't, you might want to visit the Hormone Jungle Articles page for info on the options that are available:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=174

I hope this helps! Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.
s,
-Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register