Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy 1/5: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/5: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries? Upcoming hysterectomy 1/5: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries?

Unread 01-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries?

Yep, I had phoned that request in to the doctor's office before the surgery. So when she checked in with me before going to the OR, she asked if I was sure and I said yes. Ultimately I just had everything removed (had a bad pap yrs ago, so she didn't want me to keep cervix). She said she's going to slap a low dose estrogen patch on me. I thought she said she'd do that during surgery, but will need to check before I go home because I can't find one on me anywhere!

How are YOU doing?

Tee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries?

Do it!

Estrogen plays a huge role in lung cancer in never smoking women. I was 43 when I had that I just decided to get my ovaries out as well on 1/16 when I have my TLH. I said no at first but there is too much evidence for me to leave them. If I had ER breast cancer, they would tell me to remove them.

Go with your gut and good luck! I need to call my docs office today as well.

To The Other Side........
Unread 01-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Tee -

I am doing ok. Been a long couple of days though. I ended up staying over night at the hospital. Had a bad reaction to the anesthetic and got sick to my stomach twice - even after zofran and the patch. Feel pretty good. Right now just using ibuprofen for pain most of the time with the harder pain medication at night. Couldn't sleep last night and needed a sleeping pill. Asked my Dr this morning about it and he said lets get you started on the patch and see if the estrogen will help.

How about you!!! How are you doing and how did your surgery go?

I though I had posted my recovery update on the recovery thread but can't find it now. It was at 3 this morning though so that could explain it
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/5: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries?

Welcome to the other side!

Please be sure to join your sisters on the 5th - 11th January Progress Thread where you can continue your recovery discussion.

We'll look forward to seeing you in the main Post-Op Hysterectomy Support Forum too!

Best wishes for the smoothest of recoveries!

Unread 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/5: Is admission day too late to ask for removal of ovaries?

Thanks pooodle, I'll be sure to do that.

Hey B,

Mine went good. It was a long surgery and apparently my uterus and ovaries were cemented. Everything's out now, including ovaries and cervix. I came off the IV meds late yesterday afternoon/evening (surgery was at 7:30 am) and switched to a drug cocktail of percoxet and phenagren for pain and nausea. Am also wearing 3 patches: Scopalamine patch behind ear for nausea, nicotine patch on the back on my shoulder, and a low dose estrogen so that the loss of hormones don't mess me up. She's prescribing more and said I could use them or not. It'll be up to me.

On my way home in about 40 min! Hooray!

Tee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register