Worried about anatomy afterwards! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about anatomy afterwards! Worried about anatomy afterwards!

Unread 07-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Worried about anatomy afterwards!

Hi Girls,

I'm a little nervous. Surgery (TAH, Sept. 21st) I can handle (I HOPE!), but I am not too sure what is going to happen "after" on the inside. Bear with me, I'm really not sure how to word this correctly. I suppose they don't just leave an opening into the abdominal cavity, but do they just sew everything closed where the cervix was? I am confused on what happens to your actual canal itself. For lack of a better phrase, "Does it ever end?" I am kind of embarressed to ask, but so far I haven't been able to find a web site addressing this, and I hope I can find someone who knows (or at least has a link for me). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 01:09 AM

Have no fear! This question is asked on here on a regular basis. It is something we have all wondered and our doc's don't explain it unless we specifically ask.

Imagine a tube sock with the end twisted. When you look in from the bottom (vaginal opening) this is what it will kind of be like. And from reading on here I have learned that unless your DH is extremely well-endowed he will not be able to tell the difference. We only "lose" about a 1/4" at the end.

Hope that helps! And feel free to ask anything. I assure you we will not be shocked or think badly of you. We are here for each other!

God bless and take care!
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:53 AM

Hi Sporty,

I noticed that this is your first post, and wanted to you to Hyster Sisters and to tell you that I'm glad you decided to post!!

Please go back into your control panel and add your surgery date to your profile so you'll be on the calendar and will receive a special greeting from HS, and if you haven't already, be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:17 AM

When they remove the cervix, they sew up where it was.

Where the uterus was becomes an empty space. However, a normal size uterus is only the size of a pear, so your organs just naturally settle into that space where it was.
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:33 PM

I too have had this question, not trying to be rude, but my husband is VERY well endowed and pain during intercourse is what has started this very long journey. Now it is pain and medical need that brings me to where I am. But, I am nervous about the "end" and if once again I will be in pain after everything is done. I have not had the courage to bring up "size" with my Dr., I brought my husband to a consultation appointment with me and was hoping he would bring it up, but he did not. Now I don't see my Dr. again until the day of my surgery. Should I be worried?? Once you are "sewed" in there, do you just have to live with it? I am kind of afraid I will blurt it out as I'm laying on the table all doped up! Too many things to worry about!!

Dove
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:57 PM

chudgins,

If you feel uncomfortable talking with your doctor maybe you can call his nurse and explain your situation and she can talk to the doctor and get back with you. She may even be able to answer your questions herself. I have asked my doctors nurse some embarrassing questions and she just answered them flat out and didn't even blink an eye. As my nurse told me she has seen and heard it all and there is nothing to be embarrassed about, I think that you should be fully informed on the physical out come of the surgery before you are laying on the table or regretting later on for not asking.

Take care,
Unread 07-15-2004, 03:11 AM

Hi,
I asked my Mom, who had a hysterectomy years ago, this very same question. I was very worried about sex, but I figured it couldn't get much worse so.....

Anyway, my Mom said that even though she could feel him, "bottoming out" (her words) it did not hurt at all. The vagina is very stretchy. I read somewhere that the average female vagina could accomodate 12 to 14 inches.

Maybe taking a piece of string the length of your SO's endowments with you to surgery and saying "make me at least this long inside"

-Missy
Unread 07-15-2004, 07:47 AM

Missy, you made me laugh! Though that is a good idea! Muniera, you are right, I don't want to go through this and not have a positive outcome because I was too embarrassed to talk about it. My girlfriend is going to be my OR nurse, so I was going to tell her to make sure he does this, but I don't know if she would feel right about saying "hey you need to make it........long to accomodate her husband". Oh well, I will figure out a way to get the info to him, maybe slip him a note! Just kidding. Thank you girls for the advice.

Dove

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register