Tamoxifen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Tamoxifen

Hi ladies,
I have a question. I was told by my doctor that I need a hysterectomy because of Fibroid tumors and because Im on Tamoxifen for the next three years and theres a risk of cervical cancer. Im now told that she will take everything except my cervix, since the whole point of having this surgery is to eliminate the risk of cervical cancer, shouldnt the cervix go too????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Tamoxifen

Hi,

I would ask her why it is staying. I am not sure the reason to keep it. It sounds like it should go if there is a risk of cancer, but I would go over this with her to be sure what she is going to do.

s
Unread 07-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Tamoxifen

Hi,

I'm on tamoxifen too and have not heard of it increasing cervical cancer risk?

However, there is a link between hormone positive breast cancer and ovarian cancer (that is why my doc recommended removing my ovaries) and also tamoxifen itself can cause problems with the uterus - it kind of encourages growth there - so it increases the risk of uterine cancer. My doc also said he thinks that the tamoxifen caused the fibroids to grow so rapidly.

Hope this helps? I think you need to clarify things with your doctor.

xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Tamoxifen

I would suggest you check out the stats and side effects of tamoxifen. I took if for 2 1/2 years (stopped 1 1/2 years ago) and I'm pretty sure it contributed to my current problems, but that's an entirely different story.

When looking at stats, a person has to be careful. On one hand, tamoxifen is said to DOUBLE the chances of uterine cancer (I'm not sure about cervical cancer). But by doubling, that means it goes from a 1% chance for the general population of women to a 2% chance, so in that respect, it's not such a big deal.

If you are still premenopausal and having your ovaries out, you might be able to switch from tamoxifen to the newer aromatose inhibitors which are showing great promise (and I believe with less side effects than tamoxifen) in bc prevention.

Lots to think about, I know. Good luck sorting it out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register