No diagnosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No diagnosis? No diagnosis?

Unread 02-16-2001, 01:10 PM
No diagnosis?

Hi there again.

I introduced myself earlier today. Sorry for "bothering" you again but, I was soooo excited to find this site and "talk" with you all!

I have a question..... As I look around at other posts I notice that most everone has a "diagnosis" before Hyster.
I am concerned now, because my Dr. never really gave me a specific diagnosis.
He only explained that my rt. ovary was enlarged and that the uterus was more that twice the size that it should be and had "a lot of tissue" inside. He has suspected endo but, during a previous lap failed to find any "evidence". He did find and release adhesions that he said could be due to endo but, never finalized any thought....He also said that my appendix was curled back on itself as if I had had appendicitis before??
I have had constant "crampyness", pain in my right side (like a charlie horse in my ovary?) terrible lower back pain and heavy periods sometimes lasting 10-12 days, and recently rectal bleeding (even without BM or constipation) So without a doubt (or a diagnosis) I am more than ready for my surgery on 2/28/01!
Has anyone had any of these symptoms as well? I would love to know if I will ever know what is causing all of this though it will not change anything. But, I am curious?...
Has anyone else ever had a Hys. without being diagnosed?
Do they always have a diagnosis after surgery????

Thank you again for all of you help!!!!!!!!!!
What a wonderful group of ladies!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Syndi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2001, 02:02 PM
No diagnosis?

Syndi,
My Doc has tried to find every explantion of why I have such heavy bleeding. I have been on hormones, birth control pills (my tubes are tied even!) and more hormones. I had Colposcopy nothing showed up, Ive had a D &C because I actually almost bleed to death. Was stuck in the hospital for that, three weeks ago along with a transfusion, still no reason. After researching and finding this sight (Hugs to the sisters) in Jan I was well informed when I went for me Post op. I had periods every two weeks lasting about 9-12 days. The last one was so bad I almost died. Still no explantion. and my doctor agreed with my decision right away. I got my date MARCH 8 at noon. I',m baffled actually because I've only had trouble the past five years and one of those years was when I was preg with my 4th. I was in and out of the hospital and also ended up with HBP Which i Still have. Maybe cause im getting old. My doc has several test scheduled for me before the surgery. I am having and ultrasound and an IVP. My pre-op is the 22. Blood work tons of that, he is also checking to make sure my blood levels stay up because they were so low. I see him once a week. He is also doing a pap smear as I hope to keep my cervix and ovaries. All I know is I would do anything at this moment to stop going to the toliet every 15-30 minutes to see if I am bleeding. FYI I babble all the time on these boards and I read others as well get respnonses to mine. keep Babling and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I wish I didn't have to wait until the 8th !
Unread 02-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Welcome Syndi

Hi

I think you have a probable diagnosis, you just don't know it. I saw my operative report and it said why they were doing surgery and some of the reasons were queries. For example Query: ovarian cancer. There are ways to diagnose things that aren't understood. For example, Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding. Nobody really knows what that is, it's just a name for bleeding that is not understood.

So I doubt that your doctor is taking you into the operating room without giving a reason. You just might not know in medical terms what the reasons are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2001, 04:48 PM
No diagnosis?

Hi Syndi, I have to agree with arctic. In some cases doctors just speculate until they get in there. I had a diagnostic laproscopy three years before hysterectomy and they found endo at that time, so my doc knew that I atleast had that. Sometimes they just arent sure. Adenomyosis is usually diagnosed after your surgery in pathology. So things may look normal going in and then they find out that you had that, and adenomyosis is very painful. You have descibed having the same pain as most of us on here. I also had the terrible lower back pain and that was due to endo on some ligaments.
Be patient and I'm sure when you get your pathology and surgical report back you will have a diagnosis. It's just hard sometimes for them to give answers before.
Unread 02-16-2001, 06:30 PM
Thanks soooo much!!!!

Thanks to all of you who have replied.

I have learned sooooo much here at this site from all of you!

I have had a pretty miserable day today....I figure that it is a sign to convince me that something really is wrong. I guess that you all know that you start to think that you are crazy when you have been told time after time, test after test that they can't find anything "wrong"!
At this point I don't care what it is....Just Fix it!!!!

I get in a "fog" when my Dr. starts to get technical and ramble on. I really should get better at listening, I guess. I know that he has reasons for doing the surgery..He is a great Dr.! I really do like him and I know that he listens to me (at last I found one) He tells me everything that he sees "wrong" and how he wants to fix it but, I guess that I just want a "name" to call "IT"! Maybe I just want to know that there is something "Medically" causing ALL of the problems and that it isn't "all in my mind"?

Thanks again to all of you.
I know that I was led here today...It was no accident that I stumbled across this web site only 1 1/2 weeks before my LAVH! When I needed answers and advice the most .... I can't thank those of you who have been through all of this and much much more who "patroll" the message boards and offer your "expertise" and "support"!!!!!
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!

Syndi
Unread 02-19-2001, 08:40 AM
No diagnosis?

Syndi, I am also frustrated because I am due for my hysterectomy this Thursday without receiving a diagnosis. It looks as if I am one of those women who have dysfunctional uterine bleeding with no known cause. I have been treated with hormones, had a d&c, 2 endometrial ablations and I still bleed! I am hoping that the doctor will actually find something this time, but if he doesn't, at this point, all I really care about is that the bleeding stops.

Take care,

Laura
Unread 02-19-2001, 09:09 AM
No diagnosis?

I didn't have a positive DX until after surgery and the path reports came back. He thought he knew but the test couldn't show it. I have great pain in the right ovary and my uterus was very enlarged, beside the other stuff....
The prolapse (rectal) had to be fixed at the same time.

It ended up as adenomyosis and an acute appendix. So glad they took it, would not have wanted another surgery. Dr. said he would not be able to tell about appie until they got the path reports and sure enough....it was bad.

I had it all taken out Jan 26th. So glad I did. Good luck in your searches. Ask your doctor, they can give you more info.

God bless you,
Queena

TAH BSO AP APPIE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register