No Post-Op Appointments? (and other surprises) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Post-Op Appointments?  (and other surprises) No Post-Op Appointments? (and other surprises)

Unread 11-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Re: No Post-Op Appointments? (and other surprises)

I didn't get any of that information at the pre op appointment either...but I did learn that they use gas for the lyproscopy not the abdominal, so I won't have gas issues. That was a good thing to know...assuming its true.

I won't see my surgeon/OB until the morning of the surgery for last minute questions, so I'll be sure to ask all that you posted.

In my recent experience talking to two nurses who just had hysters last month..they returned to work at the 2 week mark and even had sex on the 4 week mark, all to find out they ripped their inner stitching and had to return back to bed rest.

Take advice with a smile but know that everyone heals differently and at their own pace...and I was warned by both these nurses (who knew better) to not rush anything.

I was also told not to bring my own meds to the hospital day of like Gas X. I was reading my hystersisters list for the hospital and she crossed that off of my print out. That's when I learned they don't use gas for abdoms, just lyproscopic which I am not having.

The nurse prac did say that stool softeners will be given post op, and to take those when I get home due to constipation along with narcotic pain relievers-if it becomes a problem so that was spot on.

I had to stop my OTC herbals and my birth control pills (but I had already stopped 2 weeks ago)

and I got yelled at for no secondary protection birth control measures. LOL

As far as the bath/exercise restrictions, I had none of those either and she said, "when you're feeling up to it, don't push it, do as you may."

Like you said, we'll see how it all plays out post op.

Boy, it's tough to be a princess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Well, if it helps, I used "Cntrl F" through the first few pages of my group Recovery Thread, looking for the search word "TLH." Maybe it will give you a better idea of what to expect. (It was not a surgery I had, so these experiences will relate to you better than my own).

TLH is minimally invasive and one of the fastest healing surgeries of the bunch, however keep in mind you'll have stiches in your vaginal cuff, which needs time to heal.

I found 6 patients with TLH with remarks on their operation. The reports that only those 6 posters provided, from surgery date to day 13, is outlined below:

Surgery Day: (4 reports)
- I person on IV Torodol, Percocet. Went to the bathroom with nausea and felt like passing out. Colon working ok.
- 1 person went home with Percocet and stool softener and was constipated.
- 1 person initially had no pain control, then after complaining in great pain, given narcotic.
- 1 person had nausea, no other comments.

Next day: (5 reports)
- 1 person felt good but had blurry eyes and stomach ach.
- 1 person took Percocet and stool softener.
- 1 person released, did not need stool softener.
- 1 person released with Motrin. Narcotics provided by doctor but not needed.
- 1 person needed no pain meds, BM good.

3rd day: (3 reports)
- 1 person previously on Percocet for 2 days now off and using Aleve.
- 1 person just released after spending extra day in hosp, lot of gas pain. Taking Oxycontin and Percocet. No BM.
- 1 person previously on Percocet has no report if continuing meds or not. Has Swelly Belly, Gas Pain, and pain when bladder is full. (later will report a UTI).

4th day: (5 reports)
- 1 person who was on meds for gas and bladder pain reports a newly discovered UTI and put on antibiotics.
- 1 person who was previously on narcotics for gas pain, tried to drive, jumped and experienced pain.
- 1 person reports feeling great, not need meds, sleeping a lot and having family cook for her.
- 1 person driving, never needed pain meds.
- 1 person driving, walking slow but far distance.

5th day: (1 report)
- 1 person who previously felt like "superwoman" before, now feels worse, but does not need meds. Prohibited from baths by doctor.

9th day: (2 reports)-
1 person who had great recovery, never took pain meds, continues to feel good and has follow up appt in several weeks.
- 1 person reports a good experience with recovery, getting more energy each day. Restrictions include no lifting, pulling or pushing. Has follow up dr. appt.

11th day (1 report)-
1 person who previously reported at 9 days feeling great, went to the mall and felt fatigued, went home to cramping and spotting.

13th day (1 report)
- 1 person who previously reported up and down recovery, feeling superwoman then less well at 5 days, now feels she pushed activity too much going to Sams Club. Experienced pain and burning in stomach and back, small bleeding. Took a narcotic to feel better. Has a new symptom not previously experienced - diarrhea.

Summary:
I noted 3 out of 6 patients which reported absolutely no problems and had textbook recoveries, however extended data on those 3 is not available. The farthest date reported by that group is 9 days. The farthest date I reviewed in the recovery thread was 13 days, otherwise it would have been more time consuming. Interesting data, though.
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm having the lap supracervical hysterectomy (keeping cervix and ovaries) and I've been told the same thing about the recovery being pretty simple. I don't know about the no post-op appt thing yet, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM

I would definately not take baths/go swimming. If you keep your cervix, they may dialate it, and you risk an infection. If you have a vaginal cuff, it will have stitches and you risk an infection.

I would find another doctor. You *might* be fine, and he could be right, but will he respond appropriately if you aren't? That would be my fear. I would hate to have him blow you off if you need help post-hysterectomy.
Unread 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Wow! I think the Dr. is either being too optimistic in his discussions with you, or he is clueless about what his patients are actually going through. Although it would be wonderful if everything goes this well for you, but with what I've heard from others and read here, I just don't see what he is telling you to be reality.

I'm having an abdominal, but even other women I've talked with that had a lap or vaginal, it was still a few weeks before they were feeling well enough to go back to work at even a desk job full time. Most were talking about lingering fatigue that was pretty disabling even after most of the pain was gone.

I'm only staying one night in the hospital, but I will have a f/u appointment at one week and then I don't know when after that time--have to check that out--but I can't imagine their not wanting to see me at least one more time after that. And your doctor doesn't even want at least *one* f/u appt????? I think that's a little scary. I want a doctor to reassure me that everything is healing well ... or to catch something that might not be healing before it becomes a big problem.

And, the "no exercise/activity" restrictions--is he nuts????? What if you are like me and routinely lift 50 pounds bales of hay and and push wheelbarrows around taking care of horses? My doctor didn't know I had horses, so I was very specific when I asked about limitations with caring for them--they don't want me lifting anything over 10-15 pounds or so until at least 6 weeks after surgery, and no 50 pound bales of hay or water buckets, or pushing a heavy wheelbarrow until around 8 weeks. Seems like most doctors just ask what you do for your job--they forget to ask about other activities that may be MUCH heavier than your day job. But, it sounds like your doctor isn't even considering your job in this!

To tell you that you don't have any activity restrictions and not doing a f/u exam is borderline malpractice, in my opinion--you could do some serious damage to yourself if you took that literally and did some type of heavier or strenuous activity--thinking that it was OK. Yikes!

By any chance have you talked with anyone who had him for their surgeon to find out about their experience? I think that would be a good thing.

Good luck. Regardless of what the doctor has said--rest and take it easy so you can heal.
Unread 11-13-2010, 11:57 AM

I just had a total hysterectomy (one ovary remaining) and during pre-op several restrictions and cautions were covered....even being I had a laproscopic procedure. Things like, no driving for 10 days or until pain meds are ceased; walking as tolerated; no bath for one week; take stool softners because pain meds constipate and a few others. I was also told that most women feel better 3-4 weeks after surgery. Post-op was scheduled before I left the hospital.
.......so I don't know?? and good luck
Unread 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM

i didn't have laproscopic or abdominal and had horrid gas pains, gas wasn't used, i think it is your bowels getting used to working again

and yeah everyone's recovery is different

what i did was prepare for the worst, that way i had everything covered

as far as baths, oh man one of the ladies on here wasn't told not to take them and ended up with a horrible, horrible infection
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM

My initial gut reaction is with the majority: "Find a different doctor." He sounds a bit over-optimistic to me, or perhaps he hasn't asked enough questions about you to know what you do and how you'll handle recovery. Also, is he going to be available and accommodating if you do need attention after the surgery? At least get a second opinion.
Unread 11-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Please call your insurance company. I believe one or two post ops are covered by your insurance. Your surgeon will be paid for them because they will be included in the total cost.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM

No post-op care? That's absolutely insane! Proper post-op care is at least as important as the surgery itself in order for you to heal and recover properly. You need a surgeon that isn't going to treat a *hysterectomy* as if it's nothing more serious than a flu shot. At the very least get a 2nd (and possibly a 3rd) opinion to talk about post-op care.

And back to work the next day? Seriously? I couldn't even stay awake to watch a DVD the day after surgery. I wouldn't trust this doctor at all. It sounds to me that either he doesn't have nearly enough training or experience to do the procedure or that he just plain doesn't give a **** about the well being of his patients.

My surgeon said that if I was bleeding or spotting after surgery he'd see me once-a-week until it stopped. I haven't had anything more than pinkish discharge so I'm seeing him at 2 weeks. I suspect there will be another post-op visit at 6 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register