Upcoming hysterectomy Friday 1/9: having panic attacks | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy Friday 1/9: having panic attacks Upcoming hysterectomy Friday 1/9: having panic attacks

Unread 01-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy Friday 1/9: having panic attacks

and not sleeping well. I'm taking my meds but still jolting awake very early just trembling. . Can I get some positive LAVH stories that it's not going to be as bad as I think. I'm scared of the drugs and loss of control (have had it before) and the pain (only have had abdominal cuts). Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreeve View Post
and not sleeping well. I'm taking my meds but still jolting awake very early just trembling. . Can I get some positive LAVH stories that it's not going to be as bad as I think. I'm scared of the drugs and loss of control (have had it before) and the pain (only have had abdominal cuts). Please?
Well, I had my surgery 12/29, and I can tell you I've slept much better having it behind me! I have struggled with anxiety for years, and the weeks leading up to my surgery were borderline intolerable... For me, and for my family. I couldn't sleep, I was impatient, I had a breakdown every other day at the least. Once it was over, I just had recovery to deal with. Nothing like the overwhelming anxiety during the pre-op period. So, the good news is, you're almost there! And frankly, you just don't know how your day is going to go until you get there, so I can honestly say all my worry and dread was ridic... The day comes, you deal with the pre-op stuff, and FINALLY you are asleep! We have it easy at that point! Then, when you wake up, it's one challenge at a time. I have handled the other side MUCH better.

One tidbit: my doc did not want me taking any anti-anxiety meds the morning of surgery. She said to take my thyroid pill with a small sip of water, and nothing else. (I was allowed half an Ambien the night before - was up pooping gatorade / miralax much of the night anyway because of her extreme choice of bowel prep...) She wanted any other meds to be handled by the anesthesiologist. Because my surgery was on a Monday morning, I didn't get a night before call from said anesthesiologist. When we met with him in the morning, he said he would have been fine with me taking a Xanax and or Klonopin that morning, so my morning stress mountain could have been a molehill. 😕 Hence, I suggest asking your doc if you can have the anesthesiologist approve your taking whatever you need 1) to get some sleep Th pm, and 2) to help you thru the waiting in the morning. That couple hours before you sign anesthesiology disclosure papers and start getting something thru your IV can be long.

Seriously focus on being glad you'll have this behind you and can let the healing begin come Friday afternoon. 🎉👍
Unread 01-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Re: Surgery Friday having panic attacks

Thank you. Sounds like you're doing well. I'm sure it's much worse in my head than its going to be. I have to do 2 enemas night before. But said I could take my anxiety meds that night. I'll ask if I can take in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you. Sounds like you're doing well. I'm sure it's much worse in my head than its going to be. I have to do 2 enemas night before. But said I could take my anxiety meds that night. I'll ask if I can take in the morning.
Do some special things for yourself these next couple days... Go get a massage, a mani/pedi, shop for a couple new soft pillows for your recovery area. Think of this as a blessing - eye on the prize - and pamper the princess!

And YES, though recovery is S L O W, my anxiety lessened tremendously just as soon as I realized I was in recovery.

You've got this!!
Unread 01-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Re: Surgery Friday having panic attacks

Quote:
Hi ((Sreeve)). I hope that you are feeling better today. Has you stomach settled down? I had dvTH -- my recovery went very well. I did have some gas pains but they only lasted a day or two. This was my first laporoscopic surgeryy so I wasn't sure what to expect. You are still having major surgery even though you won't have the abdominal incision. They are still doing the same things on the inside. There will be pain and discomfort -- mine was controlled well by the meds. I was off the oxy after 3 days. My incisions (had 4) were sore but not really bothersome. I hate the feeling of loss of control -- that was the part I dreaded most this time. I told the anes. that and he changed one of the meds they usually use. Don't be afraid to talk to them and let them know yout fears -- they are there to help you.

We will see you on the otherside. You will be ok -- honest.
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy Friday 1/9: having panic attacks

Hi there. I absolutely understand the anxiety you are feeling. I had a TAH on dec 17th. I can honestly say that I think the pre op is worse than post op. I think us women are prone to thinking about every possible senerio. Once you get to the hospital and get through all the questions they can give you something to calm you. I was dealing with a lot of heart palpitations but once at the hospital I felt a bit calmer and didn't feel I needed anything.

Before you know it this will be behind you. I am 20 days post op and getting around pretty good.......tired but good. Good luck to you.

Keep the faith.
Unread 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM

Hey do you know what med they changed?? I'm definately talking to anesthesiologist. Hoping I get a good one. My tummy is still backed up. Called dr today and she said to try some magnesium. At least Thurs it will get all cleaned out with the enemas. Lol

Hey how bad is the pain down in the lady bits?? Feel like cramps or something?? My husband says lap
Holes feel like you did a ton of sit-ups but that the gas hurts. My dr promised to get as much out as he could and I've got my gasx n essential oils ready to go in my bag
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:07 PM

100 degree fever tOnight. Feel like I can't win. Sent email to surgeon.
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Hey do you know what med they changed?? I'm definately talking to anesthesiologist. Hoping I get a good one. My tummy is still backed up. Called dr today and she said to try some magnesium. At least Thurs it will get all cleaned out with the enemas. Lol

Hey how bad is the pain down in the lady bits?? Feel like cramps or something?? My husband says lap
Holes feel like you did a ton of sit-ups but that the gas hurts. My dr promised to get as much out as he could and I've got my gasx n essential oils ready to go in my bag
Hi Sreeve. He didn't tell me what they were changing. When I told him that I would feel like I was having a nightmare and of control he mentioned that one of the drugs they used could cause that and he changed it. I didn't have the problem this time.

After the first couple of days I really didn't have a pain in my lady parts. It was more of an achy discomfort. The repair work bothered me more and that was soreness. I didn't want anything to touch down below. We all recover differently -- some have more gas pain than others. Moving around really does help to work it out of your system.

Quote:
100 degree fever tOnight. Feel like I can't win. Sent email to surgeon.
Honey, I am so sorry that you are running a fever. Please keep us informed on how you are and what your surgeon says. Please take care of you and rest -- we are here for you.

Unread 01-06-2015, 09:10 PM

I have been struggling with panic for years. At one point I was scared to even go out.

I had lavh and the first 2 days was in a good amount of pain but meds helped it.

The pain I have now is cramp like. Nothing compared to period pain.

I was such a basket case before surgery. And christmas on top of it...it was hard emotionally. I would flip out so often that my husband jokingly said "i am going to strangle you before the surgery" I realized I was freaking myself and my family out.

I even went online and looked up statistics and found that I was more likely to be in a car crash then have a bad outcome in surgery.

Yes some people have had horrible complications. But I decided that being pain and not being able to have sex was ruining my quality of life. So I banked on the 80% that have relief and a good recovery.

A week before there was a mix up and I might not have been to get the surgery. Then I got upset and said no I want it.i realized I was letting fear control me and needed to have the surgery.

Please feel free to message me. I have gone thru many surgeries with panic. Hugs

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register