Fibromyalgia and Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibromyalgia and Hysterectomy Fibromyalgia and Hysterectomy

Unread 09-26-2003, 11:11 AM
Fibromyalgia and Hysterectomy

Hi----I was wondering if anyone out there with FM has had a hysterectomy and how they did. My neurologist said I should expect a longer recovery time.

I dont want to go into the surgery already in pain,but I cant take my motrin from now until the surgery.Of course the stress isnt helping the FM pain either.

I see there are a few here with FM on the boards who are having their surgery around the same time as mine. Looking for input or other information from other ladies who are dealing with this or have experienced it in the past.

I am having a TAH on 10/01 for stage 3 endometriosis.

Thanks kangaa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 12:08 PM

I had a TVH on 7/21/03 & I have Fibromyalgia. My GYN allowed me to take my meds right up to the morning of surgery. The Dr. that gives the "Goofy Gas" even gave me special drugs when they were putting me under. Everyone was fully aware of my condition. While in the hospital I had no problems either. I was even able to take my meds while in there as well.

As for when I got home... That was an entirely different story. I had no issues as far as my surgery site was concerned (swellybelly etc...) but boy did my fibro flare up for about 2-3 weeks. I was in constant pain. It finally started to subside on its own.

Check with your doctor about when you get home from the castle. Listen to your body in regards to Fibromyalgia.

Good Luck
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:12 PM

There has been recent discoveries in this area linking fibromyalgia with endocrine system disruptions. As you may already be aware, firbomyalgia is considered a "womens" disease and as such, was generally dismissed by the greater medical community. In the not so distant past, women who complained of fibromyalgia were given antidepressants, if anything and told to seek counseling. (BTW antidepressants are proving to further complicate female problems.) Thankfully things are changing. Too slowly but getting there.

Here's the big question for researchers today: does fibromyalgia contribute to female health problems or is it a missed symptom of female problems? Until recent years, the endocrine system's importance to our overall health, (men and women) has been kind of ignored when it comes to the ovaries/testes but new findings are setting the medical communtiy on their ears. The endocrine system, which runs your entire body, is made up of the pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, kidney and ovary/testes glands. ALL of these organs are needed to run your entire body the way it was intended. However, it used to be (and still is by many) the medical communities belief that our ovaries were only responsible for reproduction, and therefore disposable. NOT true! Some researchers have told me that what they are now finding out about the complexity of the ovaries (and importance) is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

If you have not already done so, I encourage you to seek more information on this link before you submit to a surgery that may not improve your overall health at all. You can always go "forward" but in this case, you cannot go "back."

Wishing you good health,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register