help...horses...recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help...horses...recovery help...horses...recovery

Unread 12-03-2007, 06:50 AM
help...horses...recovery

I foolishly thought I should be able to recover from a hysterectomy and large tumor removal as well as i did a C-section years ago.
I am so frustrated and depressed. If I don't move at all i feel better then I have in years. I can breathe and my high blood pressure is gone along with the tumor.
When will I be able to push on round bales, carry full buckets, ride and most importantly pick up horse legs and shoe?
2 weeks today for my surgery.
Driving does not seem to bother me but I tier out fast with just a little bit of walking.
The only help I have is my 11 yr old daughter, I feel even more upset over not helping her feed. She can't even ride her horse because he needs fronts shoes on the gravel roads here........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:00 AM
help...horses...recovery

Have you thought of just calling someone in to shoe him for you? Could you hire a student to help for another month at least? I have nigerian goats and they are enough to handle can't imagine a horse. Actually other day a small square bales fell down while try to knock 1 down LOL thankfully other thenjumping out of way I was fine.
! coffee can of food feeds them all. I just fill the jug up half full of water to carry out Good luck to you
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
help...horses...recovery

Check with your doctor, who will probably be absolutely HORRIFIED you're even asking. I went to Costco a couple of days ago and walked around there a bit pushing the cart, and I am still paying for it. My surgery was a week before yours, so IMHO there's NO way you're ready to do any of that, and it will likely be another month before you can even consider that level of activity.

Don't mess up your healing, because you can't go back and do it over again. I ended up having to have a TAH instead of an LAVH because I overdid it 12 years ago after my twins were born and there was too much scar tissue for the lap to reduce. There will be far reaching consequences to improper healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
help...horses...recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwhorses
I foolishly thought I should be able to recover from a hysterectomy and large tumor removal as well as i did a C-section years ago.
I am so frustrated and depressed. If I don't move at all i feel better then I have in years. I can breathe and my high blood pressure is gone along with the tumor.
When will I be able to push on round bales, carry full buckets, ride and most importantly pick up horse legs and shoe?
2 weeks today for my surgery.
Driving does not seem to bother me but I tier out fast with just a little bit of walking.
The only help I have is my 11 yr old daughter, I feel even more upset over not helping her feed. She can't even ride her horse because he needs fronts shoes on the gravel roads here........
Hi there
I completely understand your frustration! There aren't too many of us "horse people" on here...I feel your pain beleive me.
Fortunately for me we moved 3 weeks after surgery and my 2 horses were moved before the surgery to the new barn, I am now a boarder. So I don't have to worry about the every day tasks such as feeding and stalls etc..BUT I couldn't wait until I could climb back in the saddle. I waited 7 1/2 weeks, but to this day riding is a major effort for me. I tire very easily still, I can maybe lope my horse around the ring once or twice and I have to pull him up. Trotting I can last a bit longer but not much. I have 2 horses, one that I am trying to sell and the other is my 3 yr old, (the one I need to ride). I hurt every morning day and night, my stomach is huge, swells constantly, I am trying to be patient, I know its only been 3 mos, but I its still so hard when your such and active person and then boom, you aren't.
I take it your a farrier? Or do you just shoe your own?
Im sorry to go on about myself, as for your dilema, its only been what 2 weeks? You need to not lift anything over 10 lbs and rest, rest rest,
Get someone else to shoe the horse so your daughter can ride, right now you HAVE to take care of you. Beleive me, I understand! No lifting hay bales! No lifting water buckets, etc..You should be able to feed as long as you only lift the scoop. Anyway, sorry to say, its going to be a while before you feel normal, I am still waiting!!
hugs
Connie
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM
help...horses...recovery

I'm 61/2 weeks out from my TAH. I help my Dad with our Standardbreds. Fortunately, He's got another helper. When I had my 6 week check-up, Dr. said to wait untill I'm at My 8 week mark to do real heavy lifting (water buckets, hay, etc.)
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
help...horses...recovery

If you absolutely have to mess with round bales, and there's nobody to help, do you have an ATV or riding lawn mower, tractor, something that can do the pushing for you while you just do the steering? Could you get some small square bales delivered that your DD could break apart and throw out for the horses until you're able to help again?

I am almost 2 years out and foolishly thought a few weeks ago that I didn't need DH's help putting out a new bale, so rolled the sucker from the barn about 200 feet into the paddock pushing it over onto a pallet and plopping the holder over it to finish the job off, and just about died when I was done! Are there any neighborhood kids, relatives, anyone who could take the care of the really heavy stuff for you for a while? Could the buckets be filled where they need to be instead of having to carry them?

I felt guilty when my 15yo DD had to step up and take care of our mares while I recuperated (with a bit of help from DH - who is so not a horseperson, bless his soul), but she was wonderful about it. It didn't help that it was during winter so water had to be dealt with, but at least neither one of us even felt like riding during the cold.

As for their feet, I know it's an added expense but I'm going to second what someone else said about hiring a farrier the next couple of shoeings. You really don't want to be ripping inner incisions open (or the outer one!) and causing unnecessary adhesions.

I really hope you can find someone to lend you a hand. I would be more than happy to if I were anywhere near you! Best of luck and I hope you start feeling better soon.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register