Having a TVH on the 8 will i need to buy more.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having a TVH on the 8 will i need to buy more.... Having a TVH on the 8 will i need to buy more....

Unread 08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Having a TVH on the 8 will i need to buy more....

Will i need bigger more comfy undies?
Will my tummy swell up if it is just a TVH
Will it be painful to have elastic waist band on my tummy after surgery?
Will I get to wear my socks during the procedure ?
Will they make me take off my pedicure I just paid 23 for....
thanks

I am making my preop shop list and am going to go take care of it to night.... WOW the 8th sure is creaping up FAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM

I was glad for the granny panties even though I didn't have a big abdomina incision. I had swelly belly quite a bit for a few weeks now it's back to normal until evening comes or I do too much. Anything too tight was uncomfortable ~ I wore lots of jammies and drawstring pants until recently. I had to take my socks off for surgery but they kept me covered with warm blankets. I had a fresh pedicure and it wasn't a problem but I did have to find a way to get my fitted toe rings off ~ interesting challenge! Good luck and I hope all goes well!
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Hi Christi,
Undies? Yes. The best advice I received on here was to buy undies 2 sizes too big. The unfortunate thing is...they still fit after a year. yikes.

Swelling? probably...hopefully yours will go down.

Elastic waist band? well...i'm still wearing them after a year. I had to buy new clothes. hopefully, though, I'm an "exception", not a rule...

Socks? It depends on the hospital and your doc. Sometimes they give you those really COOL support hose...you can always call them up and ask. You probably won't notice about your own socks anyway....they might let you have the hospital footies...

Pedicure? I have no idea. you might want to check your doctor on that one, just to be safe.

Good luck with your surgery! I had to send dh out to buy more grannie panties because for the first several weeks, I had to cut the elastic so they wouldn't hurt me.
I also got some men's gym shorts (the $3.44 kind at Walmart) that are cotton and have the elastic waist band. Those were very comforatble. I also got some real cheap (men's) sleeveless shirts too. you'll want to think Cotton and Loose...

Take care and best wishes~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Hi Christi,

My experience was a little different. I also had a TVH, but I found that I didn't need larger undies. My usual ones were comfortable.

The only swelly belly I experienced was about 2 weeks post-op as I became more active and was up and around more during the day. I would only notice it in the evening and it would be gone by morning.

Elastic around my waist didn't bother me. My jeans didn't bother me either.

I didn't wear socks during the procedure but I did have TED stockings that covered my feet. I was also covered with nice soft warm blankets and that worked well for me. As for the pedicure, I was told by the hospital that I couldn't have nail polish on my fingers or toes. Each hospital is different, so you will want to check with them regarding their policy.

So, as you can see, we are all very different.

My best to you for an uneventful castle visit and recovery!

s, Deb
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:09 PM

I had a TVH in May. Hospital said no Pedicures and no polish allowed before surgery. I could wear my socks durning the procedure. Never had any swelly belly, wore my own undies with exercise pants home. Hospital did provide me with a mesh type undies to wear in the hospital with a "LARGE" kotex attached. (That was overkill - as I only had a slight discharge that lasted for maybe 2 days tops).
After a couple of days of lounging around at home I was back into all my regular clothes. Could drive after 1 week and could walk as much as I wanted to.
My surgery was a great success - and I hope yours will be too. Take Care and Good Luck.
Ann
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:11 PM

thanks for the info i will ask at my preop also.......
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Hi There!!

I just had my TVH on Friday..here's what I suggest:

One size bigger undies - yes
I have the tiniest bit of swelling - just enough so that my pants are "just" tight - Nothing you can't deal with
Righ now, I prefer to have elastic waisted pants. From the castle I wore jammy bottoms and a T-shirt
I wore hospital socks duringt he procedure
You shouldnt nedd to remove your pedicure as long as they can see at least one natural finger or toe nail.
If you have any other questions, please ask since everything is still fresh in my mind...Good Luck!
Unread 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM

I wore my own undies, I wear them below the waist anyway, so they didn't interfere with my lap incisions.

I had a little bit of a swelly belly, not much at all. Wearing stretchy shorts 11 days post op, but can wear my regular clothes if I wanted to, but stretchy shorts feel better, I think it is mostly abd distention from not being so active.

I had a pedicure, manicure and mini-facial 2 days before surgery. Left clear polish on finger nails, red on toes. They never touched my clear polish, the pulse ox machine worked fine.

You will probably not be able to keep socks on. They put support hose and the inflatable massagers on my legs in pre-op. Bring your socks anyway, you'll need them while you're in the castle - make sure they're slip proof though.

To make your privates feel better, cuz you also will have some vag bleeding too - get thicker Kotex - the thin ones don't feel too good, I found the thicker ones gave me some cushion down there. I used the thinner pads when I was using an ice pack.

Hope this helps, good luck and best wishes!

lesuregal
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:08 PM

ok taking notes here.... Bigger undies check thicker pads... will get those.......... THanks you ladies are the best...
Unread 08-03-2005, 09:46 AM

:P thanks ladies i am off to wal mart to get theese items

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register