Scared out of my mind - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared out of my mind Scared out of my mind

Unread 01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Scared out of my mind

I just had LAVH w/SO on Friday. I'm taking Motrin every 6 hours for unrelated back pain. I took myself off the codiene on Sunday, but found I needed something for my back.

I just got home from shopping and lunch out. I am wearing my regular cloths (they're actually looser than before surgery thanks to the bowel prep )

I've had all the same thoughts, but my recovery has been easier than some of the periods I've had and the pain from my complex cyst.

My doctor prescribed xanax before my surgery because I was suffering from anxiety. If I didn't communicate to him what I was feeling, he wouldn't have been able to help me. I had to step past the vain worry that my doctor was going think I was mental or weak. Truth was I was scared.

I remember nothing about my surgery. They gave me something to relax me in pre-op waiting, and then something to make me sleep in the OR. I woke up and a nurse was sitting by my side telling me it was over.

The worst part was the wait for surgery. I figure I'll address whatever else comes up if/when it comes up. For now I'm going to be optimistic and go with the hope that I won't have pain during intercourse anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Scared out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora96
I had an abdominal hysterectomy on December 15. I have to admit that I did not feel as bad as I thought I would - the worst has been that I lost a good amount of blood during the surgery (doc said I was a bleeder) and because I'm a "youngster", they opted not to give me a transfusion. So, I'm a bit anemic and am recovering from that at the same time!

Before the surgery, I had questions and concerns I thought were weird - what would a total removal of my reproductive organs do to my skin? Would I start losing hair? Growing more hair? Would I look really old at 41? Would I no longer be attractive to my husband? And since I was losing my "womanly" parts, would I still be a woman when everything was said and done? I was really scared out of my mind and felt really awkward talking to my doctor or his staff about it - they were so busy being positive with me (of course things would go well and of course I'd be fine) that I didn't really expect they would give me less than positive answers if that was the truth. Iwish I'd found this community prior to my surgery.

I had to have my hysterectomy due to endometrial cancer - I know in the long run I'll be thrilled not to have those periods anymore (I swear, the last one I bled so hard it looked like a murder scene) but there is still some sadness... which I think is normal.

Good luck!!!!

CJ
I am encouraged to hear your news. I too will be having an abdominal hyst on Jan. 16. I have all the same emotions as all our sisters. Yes, I am fearing what they may find when they get inside. I am more nervous about the recovery process I think right now. I am 46 and also have the unwomanly thoughts. And Victoria Secrets had decided to send me a catalog every other day this week. Just what I need... Not feeling to sexy these days can ya help me out. As the day gets closer the mind wanders further. I'm encouraged to hear it wasn't as bad as you thought. That gives me a little peace. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:09 PM
You've Struck Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly2791
I just became a member today. I will be haveing my surgery on January 24 and I am soooo scared. I understand that this is something that needs to be done for health reason, but I feel like I am loosing a part of me. I wont be complete after its over. Any others that feel this way. I cant eat, sleep or even function right now with all the questions I have. I have a very low threshold for pain and that all so scares me. To make matters worse, I was told all along that it would be taken out vaginaly only to be informed today at my pre-op that I have a 10-12 week uterus and it might not fit, but they wont know until they go in. Is any ones else experiencing these fears and questions too. Help I could really use friends right now. Thanks Jilly
Jilly your going to find everything you need here with the sisters. I just joined this week and won the jackpot! I always wished I had a sister and I have lots. And now so do you. All the support and compassion you can handle is given freely right here. Isn't it amazing?
We're all going to be just fine. Keep the faith.

gadecko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Scared out of my mind

Hey I was told on Tuesday that I need a hysterectomy. I want have a surgery date until tomorrow. But I am scared to death too!!!!! I was told that I will need a abdominal hysterectomy. So I share in your fears. Best wishes.
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
My Date Is Set For January 24th Also...

...and I'm ALSO pretty darned scared!
(Just had a crying spell a few minutes ago too.)

I just subbed into this site today.

I have had endometreosis for a long time, the doctor thinks it has probably been there for many years, but started hurting more since I went off the pill when I turned 40, three years ago. I had been on the pill since the age of 16 and never had kids. Never really wanted to (hubby never cared if we had them or not either), but now, knowing it will be impossible, I believe I am dealing with some kind of weird 'womb seperation anxiety' or something. I cry at the drop of a hat when I see babies now. What's wrong with me???

I read the names of the operations here, but have forgotten already. All I know is they will take both ovaries, the fallopian tubes and the uterus, but the doc said he wants to leave in my cervix because all my PAP's have always been good.

I will have a 'bikini cut' and he wants to start me on estrogen and testosterone after surgery. My libido has been slim to none for years now and anything to help would be a boost right now!

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL!

Thanks for being here ladies. I wish all well who have had this done or will be going through this.

Love & Peace,
J.

(PS-I still don't get the deal about "The Castle" though... Guess I need to read through more stuff here.)
Unread 01-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Scared out of my mind

hi there jilly,
well i guess that we are all here for you and that we all hope for a smooth recovery i go in for my operation today and like you i am scared to death, i dont know what to expect and i dont know how i will cope but i will deal with those fealing when i finally get there. I know that i have been very taerful because like you i feal that i am loosing a part of me that helped me bare my children and i wanted more children but that isnt to be. I have three lovely kiddies and a great hubbie who are very caring, but i also feal sorry for my husband because what is ex going to be like for him when i am done and dusted? Will he find me unattractive or will he love me even more (which is hard to do)? i cant eat, sleep and function right now and i even burn food that i have been cooking all my life. But i have been told by my doctor that if i find it hard to sleep tonight then he will give me sleeping pills, ALL HAIL SLEEPING PILLS!!!! LOL

june
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Scared out of my mind

Good Luck, today. The waiting is the hardest part!
Unread 01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Scared out of my mind

I know you're scared, I remember being so terrified that I couldn't even think about it. My only other surgery was an exploding appendix. I was in agony going in to surgery and in a great deal of pain for a long time afterward.

So you can imagine how "delighted" I felt learning that I needed NEW surgery. But you know what? It wasn't bad. I went to sleep, I woke up, three days later I was home. Two days after that I threw away all the pain meds.

Big huggs to you - see you on the "flip side" of the board!
Unread 01-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Thank You!!!

Hearing these things is so encouraging!
Thank you all for being so supportive!
I am so glad I found this place!

J.

(P.S.- I see many of the posts here refer to one's partner as "DH"...what do those initials stand for anyways?)

Unread 01-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Scared out of my mind

DH stands for Dear Husband. For a complete list of frequently used abbreviations on the site, Click Here.
And the is a much nicer name for the hospital, as we are going to allow you to be a once you leave!
Best wishes to you and I hope you are finding the information and support you need here at the site!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register