grooming down there... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

grooming down there... grooming down there...

Unread 10-01-2010, 06:16 AM
grooming down there...

This is kind of a TMI subject, but...

So, for those of you who choose to groom your girl, and have had a TAH, what are you doing about shaving? My incision is definitely in my hairline. Which I normally have shaved. Prior to my surgery, they told me no shaving of course, so I stopped, resulting in a growth of 1/8 inch or so. So, they didn't even shave it at surgery and cut right thru the hair anyway! Granted, because I have always shaved that area, there wasn't a lot of hair, but it was still there. So I've been trying to shave around my incision....and it's totally fine, not getting irritated, red, anything. But I was just curious if anyone else experienced this.

Did anyone else not get shaved and get cut right thru their hair? How are you grooming or do you just not worrying about it? I wonder why on earth they didn't shave it prior to cutting it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Re: grooming down there...

I would not think that shaving "around" your incision would be bad. I am a groomer and had to the night before I went to the hospital, but I had a LAVH so no incisions around there.
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM

I should have just done the same thing (groomed before the castle). I know if you're not used to grooming, there's a higher chance you can mess up (ie, nick it, get an ingrown hair, etc.), but that upper area I'm talking about has been getting shaved literally since I was a teenager. It's as smooth as my legs even when it's growing back in...just looks like an ugly prison scar with a beard now with that incision! lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2010, 06:41 AM

I guess we just let it grow out until we can braid it..LOL! I am scared to DEATH to shave down there...I will have to wait until I am brave enough to take a bath , I am thinking with an experience like I had shaving my legs , that would NOT work out so well..
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I should have just done the same thing (groomed before the castle). I know if you're not used to grooming, there's a higher chance you can mess up (ie, nick it, get an ingrown hair, etc.), but that upper area I'm talking about has been getting shaved literally since I was a teenager. It's as smooth as my legs even when it's growing back in...just looks like an ugly prison scar with a beard now with that incision! lol!
My DD had surgery two years ago at the age of 10 to remove a baseball sized ovarian cyst from her left ovary and a golf ball sized one from her right. So she had an incision that went literally from her left hip to her right. Even at 10 (she is 12 almost 13 now) she has been a groomer. After her surgery that was hard for her. I am going to have to tell her about the prison scar and beard. She is going to LOVE that.
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWoman222 View Post
I guess we just let it grow out until we can braid it..LOL! I am scared to DEATH to shave down there...I will have to wait until I am brave enough to take a bath , I am thinking with an experience like I had shaving my legs , that would NOT work out so well..
Hahaha! Oh come on...let hubby walk in seeing a bunch of shaving cream down there with you tangled up in a towel bar holding a razor!

Unread 10-01-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hahaha! Oh come on...let hubby walk in seeing a bunch of shaving cream down there with you tangled up in a towel bar holding a razor!

THAT would be hilarious!!!!
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:22 AM

lol! Thanks for the chuckle, ladies. I've been a groomer and although I had davinci no one at the doctor office or hospital told me not to shave prior to surgery-even though there was the possibility of TAH.

As soon as I got home and showered I resumed grooming. I wouldn't imagine that I would have done anything different with the bikini incision since I did it after each c-section as well.
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Yeah, my pre-op instructions specifically stated not to shave the surgical area prior to surgery. So I didn't want to forge the question to my male nurse doing the pre-op "soooo....should I STOP shaving it??" lol! So, I just did. I figured with my luck maybe I would slip and cut it or something and wind up with a canceled surgery or whatever they do!

Yes, the first thing I did upon returning home from the castle was shower and shave EVERYTHING!!
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:13 AM

I mustered up all the guts I could and "waxed" everything the day before surgery.
I have done many times before, but I was nervous that time and I don't know why?
After the surgery I was so grateful I did, one less thing to deal with. I can't stand hair.... especially in those parts lol

I have a friend who works in the OR that told me that most ladies come in "fully groomed" and if they aren't they cut through the hair, apparently more infection happens if they shave it for you?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register