Blood clot scare last week, 2 weeks after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood clot scare last week, 2 weeks after hysterectomy Blood clot scare last week, 2 weeks after hysterectomy

Unread 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Blood clot scare last week, 2 weeks after hysterectomy

This happened a week ago.. But I was 2 weeks post op.. Doing well. Besides I had a pain in my chest that lasted a couple of days. So I called as my instructions told me too.. And it led to an elevated blood test and combining that with hrt, recent surgery and chest pains, they had me do a CT scan to rule out blood clots. It came back fine.. No clots. This is great news..

However.. I'm wondering how many people have come through here needing this done? I'm only 32 and I'm really freaked out now by the amount of radiation in that lung scan.. And worried it will lead to cancer down the road... Especially Breast cancer since it exposed my chest. What do you all think? I had just had the abdominal ct a month prior which found my cysts.

I know they say the benefits outweighed the risks.. But I can't get this out of my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Re: Blood clot scare last week

Try not to worry so much about it (I know, easier said than done sometimes).

In my situation, I was having upper abdominal issues in 2013 so my GP ordered an abdominal & pelvic CT scan. I also had other tests done, barium swallow and ultra-sounds. The BS test revealed that I had acid reflux and the pelvic CT showed that I had swollen fallopian tubes (hydrosalpinx). Off to the gynecologist I went. To make a long story short..... she wanted a repeat of the CT scan to see if the complex abdominal masses had changed in size so I had another one done last May. The end result was that I needed a total hysterectomy because of my age, the complex masses and a rising CA-125 blood level. When the gyne/oncologist went in, the Stage II endometriosis that I was diagnosed with in 1987 had now become Stage IV and it was mess! I too, could make myself sick if I kept dwelling on how radiation my body was exposed to with these tests or I could look at it as Godsend that I did have those scans done. Fortunately my pathology reports came back to say that everything that was removed was benign. (sigh of relief) So in my case, I felt that the benefits outweighed the risks and the surgery is now behind me and I can concentrate on healing. I hope this helps you.

Take care
Unread 01-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Re: Blood clot scare last week, 2 weeks after hysterectomy

I'm struggling most withy the lung ct scan because it was high dose and exposed my breasts. This was after the surgery. I was fine after the abdominal one. This one has just had me so worried.

Have you had others besides those 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM

I guess I'm mostly just wondering if this is common here after a hysterectomy..the blood clot and lung ct?
Unread 01-07-2015, 03:37 PM

Eveidently it is a common side affect with any abdominal surgery. I did end up with a pulmonary embolism in my left lung? My sister in Law is a nurse and says it is very common.

That never crossed my mind when i was searching surgery etc. I am slender, normal BP, normal, Cholesterol and i was up and walking the halls the next morning after surgery making laps around thr nurses station every time i was up to go pee which was a lot, but i guess that didnt help me avoid it. Mine showed up 9 days post op.
Unread 01-07-2015, 05:44 PM

I went to my GP (surgeon is 2 hours away and said if I had any problems to go to my local ER) 4 days after my surgery for shortness of breath and wheezing. He did a chest Xray and did blood tests and told me if there were any problems he would call me the next day but he felt sure it was just my asthma acting up. The next day he called me himself (I panicked!!) and said did I have anyone here that could take me to the CT scan place right away the blood test showed elevated something..sorry I can't remember what but it indicated blood clots) ? I said we live an hour away but would leave right away..so off we went. i had the chest CT scan and my Doctor wanted me to wait at the CT scan place for them to read the CT scan and then report to him and then he would tell me what to do. He called and the nurse brought me the phone and he said CT scan showed pneumonia and no blood clot so i was able to go back home..thankfully!

Now I have started my Brachytherapy sessions and they did a CT scan which included the chest also. I certainly pray that all this doesn't lead to some other cancer...
Unread 01-07-2015, 05:54 PM

It honestly makes me feel better to know others have gone through it. I was really healthy too.. Except for chest pains and an elevated blood test.. It's called the d-dimer test.

I'm not sure of your ages.. But I am only 32 so it really concerned me. But my doctor today said the risks are very small and unlikely with only a couple of scans. But I still struggle with the anxiety. I'm seeing a counselor though. This has all been very traumatic for me because it happened so fast.. And 2 months before my husband and I were discussing another child. It's crazy how things can turn upside down. I pray we all stay healthy for a long long time after this.
Unread 01-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Anyone else out there with this experience?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register