I am scheduled for abdominal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am scheduled for abdominal hysterectomy I am scheduled for abdominal hysterectomy

Unread 10-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I am scheduled for abdominal hysterectomy

I am having an abdominal hysterectomy (incision as opposed to vaginal) due to a pretty large fibroid (6cm) and enlarged uterus (over 10 cm). My gyn is planning to leave in my ovaries and cervix, if they are healthy-looking. (all indications are that they are ok) I am wondering what to expect postop. Will I have bloating, gas, swelling? Much incision pain? A long recovery? I would appreciate input from others who have gone through similar surgeries. Thanks. (My surgery is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 9th)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2006, 02:16 AM

Bloating-you bet, gas-you bet, swelling-oh yeah!! nausia-maybe, pain-definately....but will you feel better afterword...yes. Once you start healing, even though it hurts you will definately be better off for it. Don't be scared, and best wishes. Everything will be fine, and you will be a new woman after recovery time...or that is what I hear anyway. LOL
Unread 10-04-2006, 05:46 AM

I'm up for my TAH this afternoon....I'll let you know how it goes.I do expect to have lots of bloating, gas, and some swelling...incision pain will be bearable with pain meds (had 3 c-sections....that part can't be much different) I'm not really sure what to expect as far as internal pain, but I'm sure it will be manageable too. Just take it one day at a time and follow dr instructions and you will get through it fine. I"m wishing a smooth and happy recovery for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2006, 05:47 AM

Good luck with your surgery Hlg. All the things you mention are part of recovery from hysterectomy. Swelly belly is not painful, it looks worse than it is. The important thing is to have some comfie clothes on hand that still make you feel attractive. I always find that I feel better if I take the time to look like I feel better than I do.
Gas is part of any surgery where there is an incision. As embarrasing as it is, it's important to let it out whenever you can, you'll feel a lot better. Some fizzy drinks like gingerale encourage burping. Some women use GasX. Your first BM can be a little difficult so it's very important to take a stool softener, drink lots of water and increase the fiber in your diet. Once you can you should get up at least once every hour and walk around as it helps to get things moving.
There is pain with this surgery but with pain relievers it is manageable. I found them to be a double edged sword though because the longer I take them the more depressed I become and the more difficult it is to have a BM so I alternated with prescription strength Motrin until I could completely stop the narcotics for pain.
The recovery from this surgery isn't the easiest but before you know it you will be feeling better and happy that you went through it. Just think, no more periods!!!
's
Michelle
Unread 10-04-2006, 07:54 AM

I am 13 days into my recovery and to be honest the incision and abdominal muscles are not really a problem. You will have gas and swelly belly. However, most of my 'discomfort' has been associated with going to the toilet (try not to become constipated) plus I don't seem to be able to sit or lay comfortably. Not because of the surgery just because every part of me aches from laying or sitting on it. What you thought wa a comfortable chair or bed isn't when you are in it almost 24/7. I am walking around but there is a limit as to how much of that you can do. My recommendation to anyone having this surgery is to get a recliner as I truly wish I had one now.

I have a very neat 6 inch bikini line incision 1 inch below the hair line. I am very please with that. Every day I feel better than the day before and my swelly belly is smaller each day. I am looking forward to no periods and, please God, a flat stomach again.

Good luck with your surgery
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM

hlg, here are some helpful hints for your ab surgery:

1. Comfy pants
2. Lots of pillows
3. Get a chair for the shower. It takes a lot out of you taking that shower.
4. Get a belly band. I have one that I ordered from hystersisters and one from the hospital.
5. If you can get something to help you out of bed, i.e. attached a rope to help pull yourself up, that would be of help. I know it sounds funny, but if you are by yourself, it helps.

I think that should help you. I am sure the other sisters have things to offer as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register