9 weeks Post Hysterectomy - Continued Episodes of bleeding and low back pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 weeks Post Hysterectomy - Continued Episodes of bleeding and low back pain 9 weeks Post Hysterectomy - Continued Episodes of bleeding and low back pain

Unread 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM
9 weeks Post Hysterectomy - Continued Episodes of bleeding and low back pain

I am miserable...
Those of you that have read my previous posts know that I have spotted almost non-stop since surgery. I began having episodes of new bleeding; not the dark almost brown old blood spotting, but bright red. After this happened a couple of times the doc checked my cuff, which he found to be nicely healed and could not find a breach (even pushed around on the seam with one of those HUGE q-tips to see if he could discover the source) No breach, no granulation. He cleaned out the old blood and put me back on partial restriction (I was obviously over-doing it after being released to full activity - vacuuming, mopping, raking & the like). This past week I barely spotted and I thought FINALLY... I just need a little more time to heal.

Well, yesterday my lower back was a little sore. I work from home and was blaming my desk chair. I took a couple ibuprofen along with my vitamins/supplements but my back continued to become more sore. Right before noon I went to the bathroom and there it was... the bright red bleeding. IF THE CUFF IS NICELY HEALED AND NO BREACH COULD BE FOUND THEN WHERE IS THE BLOOD COMING FROM?? I called the dr;'s office, in case he wanted to take a look while I had active bleeding, to ascertain the source. His nurse asked if I had a temperature. I hadn't taken it but told her I would... maybe I did... I was freezing and about to climb into bed with my electric blanket & heat pads. No temp. When she called me back she said they were calling in an antibiotic in case I had a UTI or if there was anything going on w/my cuff THIS drug would address either issue and prescription ibuprofen. The back pain was practically unbearable. She said if the meds don't relieve that it probably would be a good idea to go to the ER since they have no idea where the bleeding's coming from.

As it turns out last night I did end up with a 101.2 temp, my skin hurt, everything hurt, just miserable... I've messaged them letting them know about the temp, not sure that it would change anything...

I'm starting to notice a trend though, with each episode of the bright red bleeding I have low back pain as a precursor to it. Admittedly, yesterday's pain was the worst but it's interesting to me. Also, with the other times I could point to some strenuous activity about 24 hrs prior to it happening. This time I hadn't done ANYTHING to cause it. It's all so disconcerting and I'm wondering if I made a mistake having the surgery~ As I said, I'm back to work but I've had to cut my hours short to go to the dr. or just hurting too bad. So far my boss has been great, but I am 54. It's hard enough having to keep with the 20 & 30 somethings, let alone showing myself to be "broken".

If you've experienced this and can shed insight, experience, or just commiserate let me know...

I'm in a low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Re: 9 weeks Post Hysterectomy - Continued Episodes of bleeding and low back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinthe50s View Post
I am miserable...
Those of you that have read my previous posts know that I have spotted almost non-stop since surgery. I began having episodes of new bleeding; dark almost brown old blood spotting, but bright red. After this happened a couple of times the doc checked my cuff, which he found to be nicely healed and could not find a breach (even pushed around on the seam with one of those HUGE q-tips to see if he could discover the source) No breach, no granulation. He cleaned out the old blood and put me back on partial restriction (I was obviously over-doing it after being released to full activity - vacuuming, mopping, raking & the like). This past week I barely spotted and I thought FINALLY... I just need a little more time to heal.

Well, yesterday my lower back was a little sore. I work from home and was blaming my desk chair. I took a couple ibuprofen along with my vitamins/supplements but my back continued to become more sore. Right before noon I went to the bathroom and there it was... the bright red bleeding. IF THE CUFF IS NICELY HEALED AND NO BREACH COULD BE FOUND THEN WHERE IS THE BLOOD COMING FROM?? I called the dr;'s office, in case he wanted to take a look while I had active bleeding, to ascertain the source. His nurse asked if I had a temperature. I hadn't taken it but told her I would... maybe I did... I was freezing and about to climb into bed with my electric blanket & heat pads. No temp. When she called me back she said they were calling in an antibiotic in case I had a UTI or if there was anything going on w/my cuff THIS drug would address either issue and prescription ibuprofen. The back pain was practically unbearable. She said if the meds don't relieve that it probably would be a good idea to go to the ER since they have no idea where the bleeding's coming from.

As it turns out last night I did end up with a 101.2 temp, my skin hurt, everything hurt, just miserable... I've messaged them letting them know about the temp, not sure that it would change anything...

I'm starting to notice a trend though, with each episode of the bright red bleeding I have low back pain as a precursor to it. Admittedly, yesterday's pain was the worst but it's interesting to me. Also, with the other times I could point to some strenuous activity about 24 hrs prior to it happening. This time I hadn't done ANYTHING to cause it. It's all so disconcerting and I'm wondering if I made a mistake having the surgery~ As I said, I'm back to work but I've had to cut my hours short to go to the dr. or just hurting too bad. So far my boss has been great, but I am 54. It's hard enough having to keep with the 20 & 30 somethings, let alone showing myself to be "broken".

If you've experienced this and can shed insight, experience, or just commiserate let me know...

I'm in a low
I totally understand what you are going through. I am 51 and tomorrow will be post opp four weeks for me. I still experience bright red bleeding off and on and just when I think it stops its begins anew. About two weeks after my surgery I experienced the low back pain you described and fresh blood. I did have fevers also. I went to an emergency room and had a CT scan and it was discovered I had a either an abscess where one of my ovaries was our post operative fluid. Prior, I had been on Bactrim for my doctor thought I had a bladder infection but was put on Augmentin at the hospital. I've been taking it easy since my surgery but did attend church yesterday, with two services and requires a lot of sitting and woke up today with the fresh blood thing...it's disheartening, so I feel your frustration and especially needing to be on your game to compete against the younger competition. I would insist on a CT scan if I were you because you know your body best and if I had not taken matters in my own hands I'm not sure if my doctor would have taken the time to really hear my concerns that something didn't feel right. I wonder sometimes also if I did the right thing but then I remember how much misery I was in before surgery with migraines, heavy periods and mixed up hormones. Hang in there, trust your instincts, and you are not alone!
Unread 06-08-2015, 10:29 AM

I'm having the bleeding as well. I'm completely worn out with it. It has made me a nervous wreck. It started free week one and has continued. One day of pink spotting, then nothing, then bright red bleeding. I even passed a couple of clots. I'm right at four weeks and won't have another follow up until six weeks. I had the first at 2 weeks. I talked to my doctor then, I've called several times and says this is within the normal...as long as it's not as much as a period! Who's period? Mine before with streaming blood and clots as big as the top of a soup can or a normal period...whatever the case, I'm sure you both would understand if I told him to p*ss off! This can't be normal. I'm trying to remain hopeful while buying pads and awaiting the next bright red bleed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Re: 9 weeks Post Hysterectomy - Continued Episodes of bleeding and low back pain

I get it! All I've read and understand about the bleeding it's if you soak a pad in an hour that may indicate hemorrhage, so if you're not doing that don't let it get you, apparently it is normal, especially if you've had vaginal removal of the uterus etc. I also do the light pink, a few interesting clot things which I try not to dwell on....some women apparently go at this for weeks. Fear and panic well be the worst enemy right now especially at least for me, I was very healthy before....we got this, it shall be well and thank goodness for forums such as this! ��
Unread 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Ladies, thank you for coming in... I was beginning to feel all alone with this!
As luck would have it, I DID not improve, my fever ended up going to 103°. Went to the ER and the ER doc said it was highly unlikely it was related to my hysterectomy since he was able to push around on my abdomen with no discomfort to me, so he was not inclined to give me the CT, neither was he going to entertain the "why do I still bleed" notion since I was no longer having active bleeding. The verdict? Pneumonia! Freakin pneumonia!!! Seriously??!?!
Perhaps being that I don't seem to know how to slow down, the good Lord in His infinite wisdom is using this to force me to "be still"...
The clotting is normal when you've had bleeding since the vagina is water tight and if there's not a lot or pressure forcing it out, the clotting factor begins working on the leftover blood while it hangs out in the vaginal vault. I got really freaked out with my last clot, fished it out of the pot, it was rubbery in consistency... The doc explained all I just explained to you guys. Knowledge is power. Fire2ice is right, don't let it get to you unless your bleeding reeks of hemorrhage.
Should I have another episode of active bleeding I will insist on a CT.
I do so hate being on the "isle of Patmos"... Thanks girls, and keep me posted on how you're doing.
Unread 06-08-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Ladies, thank you for coming in... I was beginning to feel all alone with this!
As luck would have it, I DID not improve, my fever ended up going to 103°. Went to the ER and the ER doc said it was highly unlikely it was related to my hysterectomy since he was able to push around on my abdomen with no discomfort to me, so he was not inclined to give me the CT, neither was he going to entertain the "why do I still bleed" notion since I was no longer having active bleeding. The verdict? Pneumonia! Freakin pneumonia!!! Seriously??!?!
Perhaps being that I don't seem to know how to slow down, the good Lord in His infinite wisdom is using this to force me to "be still"...
The clotting is normal when you've had bleeding since the vagina is water tight and if there's not a lot or pressure forcing it out, the clotting factor begins working on the leftover blood while it hangs out in the vaginal vault. I got really freaked out with my last clot, fished it out of the pot, it was rubbery in consistency... The doc explained all I just explained to you guys. Knowledge is power. Fire2ice is right, don't let it get to you unless your bleeding reeks of hemorrhage.
Should I have another episode of active bleeding I will insist on a CT.
I do so hate being on the "isle of Patmos"... Thanks girls, and keep me posted on how you're doing.
Rockin, I appreciate your words and I'm trying to keep my feelings in check...which I sometimes describe as feeling like the woman of blood in the bible, she needed a miracle from Jesus to stop the bleeding! She got it...and I pray this will end for us all.
Now, pneumonia! I'm assuming they gave you antibitoics? I had pneumonia many years ago and it almost did me in. The first antibiotic was not sufficient. I ended up in the hospital with IV antibitoics and a strong oral antibiotic! Please please rest and if your fever does not come down and stay down go back to the ER. All the best.
Unread 06-08-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FibroidSuzy View Post
Rockin, I appreciate your words and I'm trying to keep my feelings in check...which I sometimes describe as feeling like the woman of blood in the bible, she needed a miracle from Jesus to stop the bleeding! She got it...and I pray this will end for us all.
Now, pneumonia! I'm assuming they gave you antibitoics? I had pneumonia many years ago and it almost did me in. The first antibiotic was not sufficient. I ended up in the hospital with IV antibitoics and a strong oral antibiotic! Please please rest and if your fever does not come down and stay down go back to the ER. All the best.
AMEN~!! Yes, sorry... Azithromyacin. The first round they gave me intravenously over the course of about an hour in the ER. It hurt a bit...Apparently that's why they have to put it on a timer. The remaining 4 pills they called into the pharmacy. The fever is gone but coughing (non productive so far) & still get wiped out pretty quickly (a simple shower is enough to wipe me out). I too have had before; mine 10 years ago, resolved without having to be hospitalized. Hopefully that'll be the case this time too~ :-)
Unread 06-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
AMEN~!! Yes, sorry... Azithromyacin. The first round they gave me intravenously over the course of about an hour in the ER. It hurt a bit...Apparently that's why they have to put it on a timer. The remaining 4 pills they called into the pharmacy. The fever is gone but coughing (non productive so far) & still get wiped out pretty quickly (a simple shower is enough to wipe me out). I too have had before; mine 10 years ago, resolved without having to be hospitalized. Hopefully that'll be the case this time too~ :-)
Good deal! Rest and take care of yourself!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register