Scheduled Vaginal Hyst rocovery question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled Vaginal Hyst rocovery question Scheduled Vaginal Hyst rocovery question

Unread 06-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Scheduled Vaginal Hyst rocovery question

I will have my surgery on July 18th (a Wednesday) I took off the rest of that week but will be planning on returning to my desk job of scanning papers that Monday. This is my 4th abdominal surgery (tubal ligation, exploratory and then gastric sleeve) and with all those I was up and back to 85% normal in 3-4 days. Do you think it is realistic for me to be planning on going back to work? I am in a temp to hire position and just started last week so can not really take more time than that off. Should I quit now or try to go back? If I have to take more time than that, they will replace me and I want to land the perm. position here, its a great company and my hubby also works there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Re: Scheduled Vaginal Hyst rocovery question

Everyone is different, but for me at day 4-5, I was still laying in bed with pain and nausea, and unable to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time.
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:57 AM

Oh dear, please don't be offended but you are definitely being unrealistic expecting to be able to return to work that quickly. remember even though the procedure is being done as a minimally invasive surgery it is still a MAJOR operation. you will have a lot of internal upheaval and damage, major organs removed, and other major organs disrupted.

I was scheduled for TLH (I ended up TAH) and was still given an approx 4 weeks before i could consider returning to work.

Somebody posted here the other day "You only have one chance to recover" don't push yourself too hard, and DON'T use the narcotics to get through the day if you return that quickly as you're likely to well and truly over do it without realizing it. Just remember, just because you can't see the effects of the surgery, doesn't mean they aren't as major.

Good luck with your recovery, i know it is a pain if you have to leave the job, but remember "You only have once chance to recover".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM

I agree with the others. I have had a terrific recovery, but I was still flat on my back with a few short walks throughout the day on days 3-4
Please plan on taking it very easy.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM

I had a good and speedy recovery. I didn't take narcotic pain meds, but took Aleve for 3 wks. I could have returned to office work at 2 wks. But not the first wk. I was still feeling sleepy and doing little. I was thinking in a fog and couldn't concentrate to read. So, could you do it? Probably not, or at least not up to your norm. Should you try anyway? One thing, if you go back and your brain is mush, will it mess up future attempts at a job there, or result in problems with the temp agency? I'd give it some thought before you commit to it. I know sometimes there is no choice, it's work or not eat, but this has a strong potential for not working out. Good luck, I hope you can get it to work out somehow.
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM

I had da Vinci so my experience was different but I would have been fine returning 3-4 days post op. When I had my 1 week post op check my doc said my recovery was pretty standard for his patients. . I'm like you and seem to recover quickly. When I had my gallbladder removed on a Friday I was back at work on Monday.
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM

I had a TVH, but have had abdominal incisions before (gallbladder, emergency ectopic pregnancy). I had my surgery last Wednesday and there's no way I'd have been able to go in yesterday. Not even half a day.

I have a desk job that is very sedentary, but just sitting here at my home computer visiting here and another forum, I get tired after about an hour. I've been doing most of my posting here on my iPhone because it's just comfier doing it on the couch!

I would talk to the company, if you haven't already, and see if you can get a few more days off. Who knows, you might be able to go back, but if you're not, don't push it.

Best wishes in whatever you decide!
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM

I'm scheduled for a TVH on July 18th too but I'm planning to take the full 6 weeks off. I had my gallbladder out in March and took 2 weeks off for that because I felt like I had the flu from the anesthesia. I would think it will take a good week to get the anesthesia out of your system. I understand if you don't have that much time to take off but I wouldn't push it!
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM

While a hysterectomy is common surgery, it is still major surgery. You are losing an organ. You only get one chance to recover. Please don't rush yourself. It takes time to heal. Hugs to you!!
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM

I'm concerned that your hopes are incredibly optimistic. I returned to my desk job 8 weeks after my TVH. And it was brutal. I understand you want this job but be very careful not to return to work too soon.

At day 6, I still hadn't managed my first BM, was too nauseous to eat much, had gas pains that doubled me over and couldn't sit for more than a couple minutes. I ate my dinner standing up at the kitchen counter for almost a week.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register