Question on Fibroid Size | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on Fibroid Size Question on Fibroid Size

Unread 01-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Question on Fibroid Size

In reading through different posts, I'm curious about fibroid size in relation to necessity of hysterectomy. So many of you have very large fibroids, and it makes me wonder about mine.

I was diagnosed in July with 7 fibroids, ranging in size from 1/2cm to 2-1/2cm. My doctor said the largest was bulging into the uterine cavity, most likely the culprit for the heavy bleeding and clotting and severe cramps. They described my uterus as "big and lumpy", and double the size it should be.

She told me I could opt for a vaginal hysterectomy, but during the surgery, they might have to switch to abdominal because of the size of my uterus. With this in mind, and, because I wanted to keep my cervix (and ovaries, I only want to lose what isn't healthy), I decided to go the supracervical abdominal route. My surgery is scheduled for 1/29, and, as most others have felt, am scared and still worry if I'm making the right decision.

I guess my question is - how bad do my fibroids sound in comparison? I haven't had another ultrasound, but at my pre-op physical last Monday, my doc said my uterus had grown, and was now to my navel. I never asked her what the "pregnancy size" was, but I'm going to call her today to see. Do all Drs. size it in this fashion?

Any feedback would be helpful...Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Question on Fibroid Size

Hi there I can remember just how I was in those days before my surgery. Hopefully, the trip to the castle won't be as bad as you imagine.

I had my surgery to remove a very large fibroid (by the time I had my hyst, my uterus was the size of 4 to 5 months pregnancy). However, when my problems started, 4 years earlier, the same fibroid was very small: in 1998, after I ended up in the ER, bleeding hopelessly, it couldn't even be detected through an intravaginal ultrasound!!! I needed a hysteroscopy for the gyn to see it. Still, it was causing a whole lot of problems: very heavy, almost constant bleeding and clotting, hormonal unbalance that resulted in unexplained weight gain, bloating, joint pains, total absence of libido and unbelievable mood swings.

From all the research that I did, prior to, finally, agreeing to have a hyst, it wasn't as much the size of the fibroid that mattered. It's wether or not the fibroids are causing symptoms. That said, size will have an impact: a very big fibroid, like mine, can result in a prolapse (I ended up with a rectocele) and can put stress on your other internal organs, such as the bowels and bladder.

While you might be going through the very normal pre-op jitters, if you have any doubt as to whether or not a hyst is the right thing for you, please, do reconsider your options. Should you decide, later on, that the hyst was the right thing, you can always reschedule... but you can't, ever, get your uterus back.

Sending lots and lots of s your way and wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers. Whatever your decision, we'll be with you, every step of the way.
Unread 01-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Question on Fibroid Size

each surgery I had was due to fibroids, the TAH was brought on my several small ish ones. I don't recall ever having some of the giant ones I've read about on this site.

However, it's important to remember that everyone reacts differently to the fibroids in their bodies. One person may have no adverse effects with a huge one and another person may be utterly incapacitated with one the size of a grape.

My TAH was done because of my fibroids, correctly put, because of my recurring fibroids, not necessarily the size. My myomectomies were done because hmmm, 1st one a fibroid on a stalk had come through my cervic (shall we talk MAJOR cramp!) the others were because of excessive bleeding, clotting, irregular cycle (sometimes it felt tlike the bleeding never stopped), back pain, general discomfort and most importantly (to me) anemia.

Sometimes you don't realize how bad you felt until they are gone. It's a very difficult decision to make. It's normal to be nervous before any surgery. But do be sure you are OK with your decision prior to your surgery.

BSQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Question on Fibroid Size

At the time we made the decision to have a hysterectomy my doctor said I had at least one 2.5cm and a polyp. I decided to have the surgery to end the constant flood-type bleeding. It's important to remember that you're having surgery to correct the problem(s) and prevent future issues as well. Women with fibroids, even large ones, can live for many years with no problems from them whatsoever. The decision to have a hysterectomy is different depending on every woman's situation. When you and your doctor decide the time is now then you've made the right decision.
LAVH on 1/13 and feeling great! By the way, afterwards my nurse said that the uterus has numerous small fibroids too. I'll never have to deal with that awful bleeding again. Hallelujah!
Unread 01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Question on Fibroid Size

Sometimes it's not even the size of the fibroid, but the location. The last straw in my decision to have a hyst was the fibroid growing through both walls of my uterus. If I had a myomectomy, it would have left my uterus really messed. Fibroids can grow in, through, outside the uterus. Each one has it's one set of symptoms and problems. Some women live their whole lives with fibroids and never know that they are there. Obviously, not us!?!

Best of health to you.
Unread 02-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Hello!

Hi,

How are you feeling? I noticed we have the same birthday and my surgery was on 1/26/04....we need to discuss!

Be well!
Unread 02-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Question on Fibroid Size

Thanks to all who replied. Meg, how are you feeling? I had my hysterectomy on 1/29. Everything went very well. My ovaries looked fine, so my doc left them. I wanted to keep my cervix, that also was fine, so she did a supracervical abdominal surgery. The first couple weeks were tough, but things are getting so much better now. I've just been taking it real easy, as I want everything to heal the best it can.

After the Pathology report came back on my uterus, I was certain I'd done the right thing. I had 10 fibroids, 4-7 endometrial polyps, and endometriosis. My doc said each alone can cause heavy bleeding and cramping, and I had all three causing my nightmares every month! I am so looking forward to recovering fully and getting my strength back. People are already telling me that I look healthier, that my color is so much better. Probably because I didn't lose a gallon of blood this month!

I hope all went well for you, and you are well on the mend.

Cool that we have the same birthday - it's not far off, is it? The recovery time is actually going fast. I'm thinking of my birthday as my 6 week mark. Something to celebrate!

Take care,
Donna
Unread 02-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Question on Fibroid Size

Hi, Donna!

I know exactly what you mean about not looking so pale and anemic anymore! I had 21 day periods and my last one was 44 days...I was a blanched as snow!

Yes, you are right, March 12th is the magical 6 week point! Just reached the 4 week post-op date today and feel better already (but not yet perfect!)

Hope you are recovering well, too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register