i'm squirming to get back in my workout routine | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i'm squirming to get back in my workout routine i'm squirming to get back in my workout routine

Unread 08-04-2005, 01:44 PM
i'm squirming to get back in my workout routine

i'm having a tough time not doing anything that i used to do before all this-i was a gym junkie prior to and now i had to stop cold turkey.....is there anything i CAN do that will be allowed? i did my aqua stretches, but i'm wodering if any type of yoga will work-i'm needing an added sence of peace along with all this-hard times. looking for good times....aren't we all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM

I went back to yoga at four weeks post-op and was back on the stationary bike at about the same time. Go slow and short at first, don't push it, and if you do a yoga class, tell the instructor about your surgery beforehand.

Just to make you inspired (or jealous, depending ), I am 5 months post-op and exercise six days a week - 1 hour power yoga or stationary bike or 3 mile run every day but Wednesday.

Take it easy...
Unread 08-04-2005, 03:18 PM

You sound just like me. Working out at the gym was my life prior to my surgery and holding off for six weeks was hard - especially since I felt so good. What I did was start walking around my neighborhood at four weeks. I worked up to a two mile walk pretty quickly but just kept it at a pretty easy pace. Just do what feels ok and no more. I was back at the gym a couple of days before my six weeks and it was wonderful. Be patient, it will be here for you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Just wondering... did you girls notice that you had an easier recovery because you were in good shape? I did, and I truely believe it was because of exercising for years on a regular basis. I went back to the gym at my 4 week post-op - But I started walking the day after I came home from the hospital.
Take Care and Drinks lots of water...
Ann
Unread 08-04-2005, 04:20 PM

you know my doc praised me for being in such shape and guaranteed my recovery to be speedy if all went well-and i feel so much better knowing that i'm not the only one who feels this good this warly-i thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me and was wishing for too much. well obviously not!!!! so there is hope and i'm so happy-thank you for sharing your successes-look out gym----here i come<well, in a few weeks anyway...>
Unread 08-04-2005, 04:42 PM

beams,

Yes, my GYN was very impressed with my uneventful and virtually pain free recovery. She told me that it was mainly due to my physical fitness - though my age, general health, etc. helped out a lot.

I started back at easy exercise (with my doctor's OK) at two weeks - gentle daily yoga stretches and 15 minute slow sessions on the treadmill (no incline, 3.0 mph). I also started walking in the hospital and have walked each day since. My dog went on several daily walks the five weeks that I was home, now he is back to one good 30 minute walk a day. I am sure he wishes that I never went back to work. LOL

At six weeks, I gradually started to build back up to my normal routine... Hang in there and ask your doctor what you CAN do. Just listen to your body, start out slowly, and get your doctor's OK.
Unread 08-04-2005, 05:37 PM

i am the exact same way, I am 16 days post op and up to a bit over 3 miles a day walking semi brisk... I really want to start light had weights but am a bit leary yet, buy may at 3 weeks... any one try this? I am wondering about light jogging but again the " bouce" kind of scares me quite yet, maybe ill just increase the distance walking Good luck to all
Unread 08-05-2005, 02:18 PM

I waited quite a while - almost 4 months - to "bounce", and it still hurts a bit sometimes even though I'm 5 months post-op. I stayed on the stationary bike for a long time and was pleasantly surprised that I was in pretty good cardiovascular shape when I finally decided to run.

Like other posters, I firmly believe that being in shape before surgery let me recover much more quickly. I was back at my fairly physical job at 4 weeks, and that was really important to me since I am self-employed and no work meant no income.
Unread 08-05-2005, 02:58 PM

Thanks Julie, how soon did you start the stationery bike? I take it you kept the level low as that does put some strain on the abs from pushing so hard on the pedals.. Thanks
Unread 08-06-2005, 09:25 AM

I was on the bike at about 4 weeks, on the lowest level for about 20 minutes to start. I barely broke a sweat, but I had to start somewhere.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register