Do I have a bad doctor... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I have a bad doctor... Do I have a bad doctor...

Unread 12-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Do I have a bad doctor...

I had a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy with my cervix and appendix removed 6 weeks ago. I went in for my check-up today, and my doctor didn't even do a vaginal exam. I thought I had read on the check points page that this is usually done. He only looked at my incisions and said they looked good. I told him how my stitches are just now coming out and he said that was normal. It is weird because yesterday there were 2 little blue ones and today I would have sworn they were worms if I didn't see the knots tied in them. Has anyone else had this happen? I also told him that I think I have a yeast infection and he just gave me pills without checking me. I have never had one before, and am wondering if the itching could have something to do with the stitches. Please let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2006, 06:34 AM

I can't believe you had no internal exam..wow! I saw my gynecologist and my oncologist at 4 weeks...both did internal exams! I was told I was healing well, didn't need to see the oncologist again and no need to see my gynecologist for 3 months! Do you have another appointment with your doctor soon? Perhaps the yeast infection you susupected you had is why you weren't examined...though I would think the doctor would check it out. (I've not seen a doctor for such an infection, so I'm not sure how they "test" or check it out.) I wouldn't automatically assume you have a bad doctor. Could be that it just wasn't time to examine...if you have another appointment in a few weeks. Here are some hugs to make you feel a little better: I hope everything starts to clear up soon and you are feeling better than ever! Happy New Year to you!
Unread 12-29-2006, 09:24 AM

Hi sma39
You aren't alone in how your dr handled your checkup. Most drs do the exam, but some don't. I don't understand why they wouldn't. I think if my dr had done that I would have asked how he can know if things are healed if he didn't look. If you feel good it's probably fine. If you have any doubts or concerns I would suggest you ask him to do an exam.
It isn't unusual for them to use more than one type of suture material and they can be different colors. I didn't ever see any of my stitches. I had some that needed clipped that were like fishing line, but know some of mine were yellow because of the yellow discharge I had.
We're all different in how quickly they dissolve, so he's probably right that this is normal for you.
I hope you're feeling good and have no further problems. If you do call and let your dr know.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Hi. I saw my Doctor one week post-op and all he did was look at my insicion. He then told me he did not need to see me again. Well i still have not had a pap smear since 2005 so i was a little concerned as well. I asked some of the ladies here if this was proper protocol and some said yes. So my advise is call your OB or go see your regular doctor. If you truly feel that you need to be checked be firm with your OB and tell him your concerns (write them down before you go). Sometimes we (the patient) think that our doctors know best but i have found out the hard way that they don't always so go prepared with questions and be direct with them. If you feel like he is not listening, call him on it. Hope this helps.
Unread 12-29-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your responses! No, I am not supposed to see him again, so I guess I will just ask my regular doctor if I feel I need checked. I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year!
Unread 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma39
I also told him that I think I have a yeast infection and he just gave me pills without checking me. I have never had one before, and am wondering if the itching could have something to do with the stitches. Please let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks!
I just had my 2 week check up and noticed a smell and itching (but no discharge). During the internal exam my dr. said, "You have a bit of odor" (which of course embarassed me because I am queen of taking a shower before I go see a doctor). I said, "Yes, and I'm starting to itch". She said it wasn't uncommon to get a yeast infection after surgery because our natural flora is off due to betadine being such a harsh cleanser (I had a LAVH). Of course, during the exam she also told me it looked like my vaginal cuff was infected, so she gave me antibiotics for that as well (which will cause another yeast infection, so she gave me treatment for 2 yeast infections--one now and one after I finish my antibiotics).

I haven't had a yeast infection for over 15 years, so I wasn't sure if that's what the smell and itching was all about or not.

If you have other issues, I think I would go back to the doctor (maybe he thought since you weren't having issues he didn't need to do an internal exam, but that seems kind of sloppy-doctoring to me).

Hope you feel better!
Unread 12-29-2006, 04:03 PM

Sorry you are having problems! I found that when I saw my GYN, I had to ask if I wanted to know anything. I had to ask questions such as Am I healing ok? etc. I think my doc is a genius and I trust him. He did a great job. He just doesn't talk much. If you don't trust your doc or feel comfortable with him/her, maybe it would be better if you found another one. Just my two cents, sister. All the best to you.
Unread 12-29-2006, 04:19 PM

I was checked at my appointment and told my doctor my concern for the odor and he told me that it would go away that the odor was from the stitches. The odor is going away, an I am glad of that. In fact at my appointment I had written down 29 questions that I had for him. And he went over every question with me. I was examined, and I would have felt funny if he hadn't. He told me he couldn't answer a couple of my questions, such as "can I return to all activities?" till he had examined me. I also asked if I had an infection and I didn't just the stitches thing . I would ask my regular doctor to check me out.
Unread 12-29-2006, 05:16 PM

Not doing a pelvic exam is concerning. At my 6 week check up (two days ago) my dr. saw that some of my stiches at attached to the wall of my vagina. I think he said the tissue was granulated and he applied some silver nitrate which helps with healing the tissue. He used a large q-tip and scooped up the stiches. I don't think it would be out on line to ask for an internal exam just for peace of mind. You went through a lot and it is nice to know that it all looks ok.
Unread 12-29-2006, 07:07 PM
hi

I had the internal exam at six weeks. However around week 4 I did get a yeast infection. I was itchy and had a white cottage cheesy ( I know yuck ! discharge. I took one pill which cleared it up! To give yourself peace of mind, I would insist on an internal exam.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register