Partial cervix removal during hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Partial cervix removal during hysterectomy Partial cervix removal during hysterectomy

Unread 09-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Partial cervix removal during hysterectomy

Hello, I had a robotic supra cervical hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. (I kept my ovaries but my tubes were removed). When I went for my post-op visit my surgeon stated that he had to remove the center of my cervix due to fibroids and endometriosis. I had had no abnormal pap smears and I was a low cancer risk (previous D&C and hysterectomy post-op report confirmed no cancer). I cannot find any information about a partial cervix removal procedure done during hysterectomy. The only information I can find is a cone biopsy done for women who have cervical cancer. Can you send me some information on this partial cervix removal procedure if you have heard of it? I am a little disturbed and shocked that it was removed when I was clear that I wanted to keep my cervix, but I would understand if it was medically necessary if I had more information. I was told that I have stitches in my cervix that will dissolve. I am wondering if the cervix will grow back intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Re: Partial cervix removal during hysterectomy

The cervix is the bottom of the uterus, so it may simply be that he cut lower than usual when doing your hysterectomy. Or, he may have removed more tissue from the inner layers to try to remove the fibroids and endometriosis. Or, he may have done something like a core biopsy. Or ... . You are likely going to need to sit down and talk things over with your surgeon and ask him to specifically explain. You might ask him to use a diagram to help you understand.

Based on what you shared, my guess is you had fibroids and endometriosis on the part of the cervix he removed. My guess is that he left as much of the cervical portion of the uterus as possible because of your request to keep your cervix. His other options were 1) leave the fibroids and endometriosis which could have possibly negated the entire reason for the hysterectomy, or 2) stop the surgery without completing the hysterectomy, close the incision(s), bring you out of anesthesia, explain the situation, find out your preference, and then reschedule surgery for a future date. A second surgery would have required reopening or creating new incisions, more anesthesia, more recovery, etc.

Your cervix is not going to "grow back" as it is the type of tissue that once removed it is gone, however, it should seal where the incision was made.

If you don't understand what your doctor did or why, don't hesitate to talk to him. He is the one who was in OR and who had to make decisions about what was best for you based on what was found.

Unread 09-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Thank you for your response. I plan to ask more specific questions when I return for another follow up in 3 weeks but in the mean time wanted some documents to read on the procedure. Perhaps this is not the site for that. I do appreciate your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety51 View Post
Hello, I had a robotic supra cervical hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. (I kept my ovaries but my tubes were removed). When I went for my post-op visit my surgeon stated that he had to remove the center of my cervix due to fibroids and endometriosis. I had had no abnormal pap smears and I was a low cancer risk (previous D&C and hysterectomy post-op report confirmed no cancer). I cannot find any information about a partial cervix removal procedure done during hysterectomy. The only information I can find is a cone biopsy done for women who have cervical cancer. Can you send me some information on this partial cervix removal procedure if you have heard of it? I am a little disturbed and shocked that it was removed when I was clear that I wanted to keep my cervix, but I would understand if it was medically necessary if I had more information. I was told that I have stitches in my cervix that will dissolve. I am wondering if the cervix will grow back intact.
I am almost in the same situation, I had no problem, or at least not one that was explained to me) with my cervix. I am so confused and my doctor is the kind that won't really take the time to talk you through what he's done. Have you found any helpful information?
Unread 10-03-2015, 05:08 AM

Jess, I haven't found anything since my post but I haven't had the time to look because I returned to work this past week. If I do find something, I will post a link for you if permitted on this site. I also have a follow up in 2 weeks and am going to get the doctor to explain more. I am very happy with my procedure and doctor but if I hadn't questioned him about the cervix specifically, I would not have learned that part of it was removed. The only info I've found so far on this is specific to women with cervical cancer, which is not me. I am so glad that you reached out to me. I was beginning to feel like some odd hybrid experiment was done on me. I still have spotting if I do too much and fully expect to have mini periods and such but all of that is worth it to me to hold on to what cervix I have left for support and sexual function. Thank you so much for your response and for making me feel like I'm not so alone in my situation.
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:42 AM

The original plan was to have my cervix taken. My cervix was partially left. The reason behind that is my uterus and cervix had grown into my bladder. My dr did not want to nick my bladder. Think of cutting a tree down it leaves a stump. He left part of my cervix essentially like a tree stump.

I will still have a pap every year. I had my ovaries removed so no mini periods for me.
Unread 10-20-2015, 06:05 PM

I am posting information that I gathered from my 6 week follow-up visit regarding the partial cervix removal. I asked my surgeon to elaborate on the procedure and he was very accommodating. He even drew a detailed diagram, explaining all that was removed and why. He readily admitted that the procedure does not have a name, which is why I could not find the information on-line. The surgeon described the procedure as an inverted cone, where he removed the tissue that would potentially bleed and give me a mini period. He left the muscle intact that would provide support and sexual function. I was very pleased with the visit but need to wait a couple more weeks (8 total) before resuming intercourse, weight training and abdominal exercises. I will need yearly pap smears, but he told me that the lab reports will most likely indicate that there are no endometrial cells present because he removed them all or most of them.
Unread 10-20-2015, 06:11 PM

Thanks for taking time to share this info!

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register