PMS after hyst?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMS after hyst?!? PMS after hyst?!?

Unread 11-10-2003, 06:35 AM
PMS after hyst?!?

This may seem like areally dumb question, but I am wondering if after a TAH, (I am keeping ovaries unless things change during surgery) will I still have PMS? I am pretty sure that I'll still get the hormonal fluctations, but will there still be the physical effects? (ie:bloating, headache, fatigue, joint aches ect..) I know for me personally, that is the WORST part. I feel 'normal' great, actually, for the 9-12 days out of the month and thats when I am actively menstruating. The rest of the time, I'm a raving PMS'er. I know, it's backwards...most women are miserable during their aunt flo's visit, but I rejoyce when she arrives. I can tell you to the DAY, when I am going to start. Now mind you , this is not based on counting calendar days, I know because of my increasingly worsening symptoms. I actually become incapacitated some months....I can never tell how bad it will get. I tell my DH, "it'll be in 4 days" and I'm ALWAYS right. I am actually apprehensive for the surg. due to this, because I am soooo used to looking forward to that week to two week period (pun not intended) in the month, that I think it will completly throw me off. I am scared that I will still have all of the symptoms of PMS, but no relief. Any experience? Thanks in advance! Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2003, 06:52 AM
PMS after hyst?!?

HI Rachel,

I'm having a TAH/BSO on December 12 specifically for the purpose of stopping my PMS symptoms. I've been diagnosed with PMDD (premenstraul Dysphoric disorder), which is a disabilitating extreme form of the emotional side of PMS that lasts for 3 weeks out of 4 for me. However, to relieve the PMDD, the ovaries have to go, too. You sound like you might have similar symptoms. You might want to take a look at the article at http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030415/1743.html and discuss it with your doctor.

Good luck!
Unread 11-10-2003, 06:53 AM
PMS after hyst?!?

I kept my ovaries & right now my breats are swollen & hurt. At least I don't get the cramps anymore but I do get the bloating as well. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2003, 07:53 AM
PMS after hyst?!?

Rach,

From all I've read on here, you can still have PMS symptoms if you keep your ovaries. It sounds like it's not usually as severe, though.

s
Cat
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
PMS after hyst?!?

Hi Rach

I used to get headaches, breast tenderness, irritable, very moody about a week or so before my period. I haven't noticed that at all since my hyst. Today I am feeling very clumsy - bumping into doors, dropping things, not typing very well, etc. and figured it is about the time I'd be on my period. So other than that, I would have had no way of knowing. I have kept one ovary. I feel like my moods have never been on such an even keel. Hope it all works out for you.

Shelley
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:32 AM
PMS after hyst?!?

I feel like I have been more balanced mood wise also since my surgery.
I do feel some pre menstrual symptoms- but not as pronounced as before.
Hopefully, your surgery will balance everything out for you. Take Care-
Unread 11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
PMS after hyst?!?

Hi Rach

I had a TAH on Sept. 26th, and I kept my ovaries too. I *do* experince PMS symptoms, only not NEARLY as horribly as I did before my TAH!

I am in fact, in PMS right now. My breasts are swollen and tender, I'm a little bloated but not as bad as before, and last night I kept getting mad at my hubby for little things and grumbling about him quietly to myself, whereas before the surgery, if I got mad at him during PMS I'd scream at him and throw things, then break down crying, then get all lovey with him, then scream again..... etc., etc., etc.

This is my second "PMS" since surgery. It's so much better, that both myself and hubby think this alone was a good enough reason to go for the hyst.!

Jenn
Unread 11-10-2003, 04:56 PM
PMS

Hi Rach,

I kept one ovary and still have PMS. Mine was bad during ovulation and then before my period and then my period was bad AND I had horrible pain. It's been 3 months since my surgery and this month the breast tenderness was almost gone but I was bloated and swollen 7 days straight. Plus I have odd days here and there during the month when I seem to get bloated for no apparent reason. I am hoping to balance all this with progesterone cream and herbs.

Overall I feel MUCH better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register