My name is Tina & I'm a hystersisters-aholic - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My name is Tina & I'm a hystersisters-aholic My name is Tina & I'm a hystersisters-aholic

Unread 06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
My name is Tina & I'm a hystersisters-aholic

Vega, your mom rocks!

Weiser, thank you for that input. I was able to get a 4 hour nap without any sleep aide....woohooo. I'll call the doc in the morning about it. Also this is my first day without a pain pill, YAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM

Tina,

You could always call a 24 hour drugstore (walgreens) and ask the pharmacist about the those drug combinations or ask what could you take while on vicodin.
Unread 06-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Liz, good idea.
Unread 06-16-2006, 06:19 AM

Tina,
Try benadryl or a generic form without the tylenol or aspirin. It's the active ingredient in excedrin pm that makes you sleep. It does have the opposite effect on some people though and causes you to be hyped up instead. If you've taken the excedrin pm in the past and it worked for you, then it probably won't do that. Hang in there on the sleep, it gets better around week 4-5 for me. My doc says us wonderwomen are so used to being go, go, go that when we are finally forced to stop and take it easy, it really mucks with our sleep cycle. I think it's hormonal also, as I was having lots of insomnia before surgery. Now, that I'm therapeutic on ERT, I'm sleeping like a baby.

I can understand about the needy dog, I have seven hairy children(3 dogs and 4 cats). Seemed like every time I did finally get to sleep, here came one or the other for attention. My rottie, Bella, had her hyst and hip surgery while I was off with mine and was content to lie in the bed at my feet the entire time. She was really in shock when I had to go back to work.

Ah, banana bread. I'm sitting here having my morning coffee and that sounds lovely. Might have to whip up a batch soon. My name is Rachel and I, too am a hystersisters addict. My usual morning routine is to have my coffee while I check out the news of the day. Now, I check in here to see how everyone's doing. It saved me from going completely insane while I was recovering. I'm almost 3 months out now and can tell you ladies that it gets so much better. The fatigue is finally abating and the swelly belly isn't quite so swelly. Don't take the 6 week mark as the final note in your healing though. I still get sore if I lift a lot and find that I swell more at the end of the day, or night if I'm working. I don't regret a thing though and know that each day is going to bring me closer to the day that I'm free from the pain and hassles I have faced most of my adult life. Best of luck to everyone on your healing and sleeping, and banana bread for everyone.
Rachel
Unread 06-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Yes, I admit it too...

I'm a hystersister-aholic! And NO, I am NOT ashamed! In fact, I love the site, kept me sane and I don't know how I will handle the withdrawals when I have to go back to work and can't check in here first thing in the morning......
Add to that the fact that I just checked and have no frozen bananas so I'll have to venture to the grocery store to buy some. But I do have chocolate chips-those are yummy in banana bread.
As for insomnia, gravol works well for a lot of people so you might want to check into that, Tina. Of course, check with your doc or pharmacist to see if it interacts with anything else you are taking.
This sasquatch (sp?) got rid of her fur after about 2 1/2 weeks. Standing in the shower, in my tub, I put one leg up on the tub ledge, if that makes sense, not sure what to call it. Anyway, pushed Swelly to the side and shaved the leg that was up. Switch legs and repeat-its only a little bending, but then I also didn't have an abdominal incision. One big thing I do advocate is having one of those no-slip bath mats in the tub. Don't want to break anything by slipping.

Unread 06-16-2006, 08:42 AM

I feel kinda bad cause I never missed a day shaving, I almost passed out but I did it. I had an LAVH though, so it is probably quite a bit easier as far as bending goes.

I had more time to be a hyster sister addict in the pre-op and early post-op days, but I still like to come here as often as I can. I still have my questions and feel an obligation to try to be helpful to anyone I can, I wish it were more cause I love this site!!

I make terrific banana bread! I put oatmeal in mine and love it warm with butter! Yum!!

Betts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register