supplementation suggestions, please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

supplementation suggestions, please supplementation suggestions, please

Unread 01-06-2017, 06:46 PM
supplementation suggestions, please

I am likely going to need something to start balancing my hormones, somewhat, after my next post-op check. I do not plan on H.R.T...only on natural/supplemental supports. My surgeon will release me back to my primary doctor, if all checks out OK at the end of the January.

My doctor is very natural-minded, but I would like some of the best support options to discuss with her.

Right now, it is mostly about the hot/cold flashes and emotionality. That could change, I suppose.

What worked well for you, personally!? How!? What didn't!?

No EOs, please.

Thank you, in advance, ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Re: supplementation suggestions, please

I am a Stage 3 breast cancer survivor, so I cannot use any type of HRT. I just had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, but chemo forced me into menopause 2 years ago after starting treatment. I suffered with unbelievable hot flashes, insomnia & felt like I lived in a fog. I tried every supplement I could find, essential oils & finally agreed to try Effexor (an antidepressant), because I was so miserable. It helped, but I hated that I was taking it. All of this was under the care of my oncologist. About 4 months ago, I saw my OB/GYN for my annual visit, & she recommended Relizen, which is non-hormonal supplement made from a plant from Sweden. She gave me some samples, & told me I could order it online. It was a complete game changer for me. Thankfully, I have been taking it for months, & so far, I feel AWESOME after my hysterectomy.
Unread 01-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dental Chick View Post
I am a Stage 3 breast cancer survivor, so I cannot use any type of HRT. I just had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, but chemo forced me into menopause 2 years ago after starting treatment. I suffered with unbelievable hot flashes, insomnia & felt like I lived in a fog. I tried every supplement I could find, essential oils & finally agreed to try Effexor (an antidepressant), because I was so miserable. It helped, but I hated that I was taking it. All of this was under the care of my oncologist. About 4 months ago, I saw my OB/GYN for my annual visit, & she recommended Relizen, which is non-hormonal supplement made from a plant from Sweden. She gave me some samples, & told me I could order it online. It was a complete game changer for me. Thankfully, I have been taking it for months, & so far, I feel AWESOME after my hysterectomy.
Thank you, Dental Chick. I will have to look into it.

Good luck with your recovery, and I am happy to hear you are a survivor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Any other ideas...from anyone!? I really want several ideas to sort through, before my appointment.
Unread 01-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Hi mbrhealth,

I'm using dhea which I know you cannot use.

But I'm also sleeping best since the hysterectomy and using pycnogenol and magnesium to achieve that.

i started using pycnogenol because I was diagnosed with macular degeneration and its supposed to help the retina. I later found out it also can help meno symptoms when I started trying to figure out why my night sweats had completely stopped. It doesn't affect hormones, but it seems more like it affects serotonin. It also seems to make me more calm during the day.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Unread 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
Hi mbrhealth,

I'm using dhea which I know you cannot use.

But I'm also sleeping best since the hyst and using pycnogenol and magnesium to achieve that.

i started using pycnogenol because I was diagnosed with macular degeneration and its supposed to help the retina. I later found out it also can help meno symptoms when I started trying to figure out why my night sweats had completely stopped. It doesn't affect hormones, but it seems more like it affects serotonin. It also seems to make me more calm during the day.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Thank you, 6andcounting. I also use magnesium, for sleep. I will look into the others. I am hoping to find something, soon...to discuss with my doctor. Thanks, again.
Unread 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM
supplementation suggestions, please

I have a great friend who's a naturopath and she immediately suggested I start on a product by CanPrev called Meno-Prev. OmegaJolly by New Roots and Maca by Natures Sunshine. I had a full hysterectomy in March 2016. So far so good. I still get some of the hot flashes but no more if not better than some friends of similar age (50) who haven't had hysterectomis. Good luck!
Unread 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

I am a Stage 3 HER2 + and ER+ Breast Cancer survivor as well. So yeah, no HRTs for me either. I am curious if any of the supplements that have been mentioned help with the vaginal dryness as well. I have occasional hot flashes and have been having the "crazies" this week...but have been told to really watch out for the dryness.
Unread 01-30-2017, 12:25 PM

I'm in the same search you are. 6 weeks post op. Having merciless hot flashes, in clusters at night. Insomnia. Still abdominal pain. And now I've added brutal headaches. Constant headache for four days, migraine level first day and today. I've had only a couple headaches until now in recovery. I'm now taking black cohosh, vitex chasteberry, DIM, 5htp mornings, melatonin with GABA at night, d3 with k2, plus Natural Calm magnesium.
I've had it with no sleep, unrelenting pain and cluster hot flashes. The only thing that touches the headaches is caffeine which cannot possibly be helping the lack of sleep.
I was using Young Living Progessence oil before the tumors took over my life causing the hysterectomy. Not sure if it would help my thyroid with progesterone production now or not, but willing to try.
After several crying fits over the misery this morning, it really is helpful just to know we are not alone in this surgical menopause.
Unread 01-30-2017, 12:31 PM

Pycnogenol 100 mg totally takes care of the sleep issue for me. I'm able to sleep late on the weekends for the first time in 15 years or more. IDK why.

this from Web md:
* Menopausal symptoms. Early research shows that taking pycnogenol by mouth decreases menopausal symptoms, including tiredness, headache, depression and anxiety, and hot flashes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register