loving pilates! feeling amazing! (2013) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Pilates

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

loving pilates! feeling amazing! (2013) loving pilates! feeling amazing! (2013)

Unread 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
loving pilates! feeling amazing! (2013)

After much research, I knew I would need to be intentional about strengthening my core and pelvic floor following surgery. I read every post about pilates and decided that the Winsor videos would be a great starting point. I found a set of 8 videos including the 20 minute work out on ebay at a great price. In the last 2 weeks, I've started with the 20 minute work out 4-5 times a week and already feel my abdominal muscles are significantly stronger. I'm looking forward to some weight loss as well! Very much recommend it! So, anyone else doing pilates? If so, what are your results, which work outs are favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Re: loving pilates! feeling amazing!

I do Pilates as well but go to a class twice a week. I have gained a tremendous amount of strength in my arms and my core since starting last April. The instructors are tough and we never have the same workout twice. I can tell you that I really dislike the swimming exercise because it tends to hurt my lower back. I have a curve in my upper back and we worked today to figure out how I can do the swimming without strain on the lower back since it is so beneficial to work out that curve. All of the other exercises are fine. I am quite impressed that I can do a two minute plank now with ease.

As to weight loss, I am sure it supports it but hard to tell if it is making a difference since I have been losing for the last 4 and a half years through counting calories and walking. I have only 3 lbs to go to get to my goal of 130.

I am glad you enjoy Pilates. I know I get a real workout through those exercises.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Jealous!!!! Way to go ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
I do Pilates as well but go to a class twice a week. I have gained a tremendous amount of strength in my arms and my core since starting last April. The instructors are tough and we never have the same workout twice. I can tell you that I really dislike the swimming exercise because it tends to hurt my lower back. I have a curve in my upper back and we worked today to figure out how I can do the swimming without strain on the lower back since it is so beneficial to work out that curve. All of the other exercises are fine. I am quite impressed that I can do a two minute plank now with ease.

As to weight loss, I am sure it supports it but hard to tell if it is making a difference since I have been losing for the last 4 and a half years through counting calories and walking. I have only 3 lbs to go to get to my goal of 130.

I am glad you enjoy Pilates. I know I get a real workout through those exercises.
Way to go on your weight loss goal! I am seriously impressed by the 2 minute plank. Wow! Having just started, I struggle to do 30 seconds.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:31 PM

how long are y'all waiting after surgery to do this type of exercise?
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_I_am View Post
Way to go on your weight loss goal! I am seriously impressed by the 2 minute plank. Wow! Having just started, I struggle to do 30 seconds.
Thank you! You will get there in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by des731 View Post
I had my surgery 3 years ago and I just started Pilates last April so it was nowhere anytime soon after my operation. The best thing is to ask your doctor.

What I did though, is walk, walk, and walk. I had started walking for weight loss about a year and half before my surgery and continued to this day. Walking is one of the best things you can do for your body.
Unread 11-16-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by des731 View Post
I started at 3 months post op with very gentle stretching. I had DVH so my abdominal muscles weren't cut. My doctor gave me the all clear at 10 weeks. She said to ease into activities, stop if it hurts, protect the pelvic floor when lifting.
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM

That's awesome that it's working so well for you! I've been doing a Pilates class once a week for a long time, and barre classes (combo of weight/strength/pilates/yoga) and I was just thinking that I need to step it up to more than once a week after my surgery. I'm having a hysterectomy and rectocele and cystocele (anterior and posterior) repairs. So I will look for a video to supplement my class.
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonic View Post
That's awesome that it's working so well for you! I've been doing a Pilates class once a week for a long time, and barre classes (combo of weight/strength/pilates/yoga) and I was just thinking that I need to step it up to more than once a week after my surgery. I'm having a hysterectomy and rectocele and cystocele (anterior and posterior) repairs. So I will look for a video to supplement my class.
After a lot of reading, I looked for Winsor videos. They were highly recommended by many of the hyster sisters. I really like the 20 minute work out.
Unread 04-22-2017, 07:26 PM

For those of you who would like to try and/or do Pilates before making an investment, look at fitnessblender.com. They offer free online exercise videos for many different kinds of exercise, including Pilates, for every level, and as short as 10 minutes. They even have one for post abdominal surgery/post natal patients to slowly rebuild your core.

I have just started really concentrating on my core/abs and I do still pay attention to what my body says. I started doing Zumba again at about 15 months 2-3 times a week and on the days with no Zumba I walk our subdivision roads (many inclines since we're in the mountains for about an hour). Whatever you're doing take care to listen to your body and be patient with yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register