New to the boards | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to the boards New to the boards

Unread 09-14-2001, 02:38 AM
New to the boards

Hi,
I found out on Wednesday that I will need a hysterectomy-I had a D&C and hysteroscopy. Will see the Dr. on the 24th and discuss plans for surgeryand biopsy results. . At this point he doesn't now if he will be able to do it vaginally-the fibroids are larger than he thought. Never been cut for surgery and very nervous. He also isn't sure at this point if he will leave the ovaries-this makes me nervous too since I am only 36. I do have a small cyst on my left ovary, so possibly that concerns him. What are your thoughts and suggestions? I have ordered the Hyster Sisters book and hope that gives me lots of insight. One of my fibroids is sitting on my bladder and makes it very uncomfortable for me. I wonder if he will have to do anything to the bladder?
Thank you all for your thoughts and God Bless everyone during this trying time.
Thoughts and prayers to everyone.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2001, 02:50 AM
Welcome to our site!!!

Hi Jody!!!

you have come to the right place for answers to your questions this site is a godsend!!!

I had a TAH on aug 30 due to lots and lots of fibroids, adhesions and cysts on my right overy... I am 38. I am looking foward to no more pain and heavy periods as I had been suffering for more than two years.

the only thing that was left for me was the left overy so I would not go thru instant menopause and so far it seems to be working quite well...I had a bikini cut from c-sections and that is where the doc went again. If you have fibroids on you bladder then yes the doc will fix that. You say you have cysts on your overy also and I would think that the doc will remove that overy also so as not to have future complications.

there are lots of pull down menus for information and lists of questions that you can ask your doctor.. the ladies here are wonderful at answering questions no matter how trivial they may seem to us at the time.... so keep on posting we'll help you thru as much as we can...

Dawn
dtoolgrl@yahoo.com
Unread 09-14-2001, 04:38 AM
New to the boards

Jodycat,
Between now and the 24th, please write down a list of questions for your doctor. You have some very good questions here in your post. Only your doctor can answer those. Sometimes women go for a 2nd opinion. Take your written list of questions in with you to the doctor. Most doctors are glad to see that you have come with questions.

It's normal for you to feel nervous. You have come to the right place. You will learn alot here in Pre-Op. So stick around and know that we are here for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2001, 04:53 PM
New to the boards

Hello and welcome to hystersisters Linda. I'd never had surgery before this and it was pretty scary pre-op. However, everything went smooth.

The list of questions for dr. is great idea. I made list after list of things to do, what to buy, what to ask etc. I had fibroid and cysts on both ovaries so had everything out. Please discuss the pros and cons with your gyn.

We'll be with you every step of the way.

Again, welcome aboard and glad you found us.
Unread 09-14-2001, 07:48 PM
New to the boards

Welcome Linda!

I am glad you found us!

Advice... check out the Ladies in Waiting pull down menu's if you have not already. Great info!!

Traci
Unread 09-14-2001, 08:41 PM
New to the boards

hi linda
i am also 36 and just had a d & c hysteroscopy last saturday. i had pleaded with my doctor to take my uterus out several times even right before they rolled me back for my d & c . she said no every time i asked. well, after my d & c she came into the recovery room and told me i needed a hysterectomy! i almost felt like laughing (they had just given me a shot of morphine). she worked on my fibroid for over 3 hours (she had told me it would take an hour). she got it down to the size of a golf ball, and said it was also as hard as a golf ball. (funny, my husband just took up golf!) i go to discuss the hysterectomy surgery with her on monday the 17th. i have been all over the internet researching, and by doing this, i have made a list of questions for my doctor. she plans on taking my cervix out, and i'm just not sure about that. luckily, my ovaries are fine, but have been told by a coworker who had one ovary removed that she feels better than ever. good luck to you. if you feel anything like i do, it's only got to get better!
julie
Unread 09-14-2001, 11:18 PM
New to the boards

Hi Julie

In the pull down menu's there is a great list of pre-op questions! A few I had not thought of.

I think it is on the main home page under ladies in waiting.

Good Luck!

Traci

Really funny about the golf thing..... lol
Unread 09-15-2001, 06:46 AM
New to the boards

Hi Everyone,
I thank you for your thoughts-it really help to have people like you to go through this with. I am very nervous about the surgery and wish my appt. with the Dr. was before the 24th, but I will just have to be patient. I know that if it was vaginal, I would heal alot quicker, but if he has to do an abdominal, I will just have to get through it the best I can-that is what makes me nervous. I am a very fast paced person and I know from the reading I've done that this will slow me down. I like to work out at the gym and I know it will be quite a while before I can resume that. It makes it difficult now to work out because of all the pressure on my bladder-I got up 5 times last night just to go to the bathroom. That is why I just want the surgery over with so quickly.
I thank you all once again and God Bless everyone.

Linda
Unread 09-15-2001, 06:54 AM
New to the boards

Make sure your dr knows about your bladder problems. Lots of times sisters are referred to urologist and have to have surgery postponed till the bladder checks out ok. If any work needs to be done additionally for the bladder you need to find out before not after surgery.
Unread 09-15-2001, 06:59 AM
New to the boards

Dear Linda,

I was also scheduled for surgery after a D&C and hysteroscopy, it was then the found out I had endo and the D&C that should of been less than an hour turned into almost two!! He said I was loaded and that when they open me up they may find alot more!!! I just can't wait to be done and over with this, like yourself I enjoy going to the gym and am very active in sports!!! Finally have both my kids in college and have time for myself, but I guess the fun will have to wait for a couple of months! You have found a wonderful site here, since I have joined I have gone from anxious to relaxed because almost every question I have come up with the wonderful sisters have helped answer, and for those with no answer I have a list for my pre-op visit, Oct. 1!

Good luck to you and I pray you get your surgery date soon!!

Brenda
:halfmast:
TAH/BSO
October 10th

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register