Questions about fibroids and 2nd opinion. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about fibroids and 2nd opinion. Questions about fibroids and 2nd opinion.

Unread 02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Questions about fibroids and 2nd opinion.

I am a little overwhelmed at the moment. I have had fibroids, bleeding, and pain over the last 2 years which has become unbearable the 3 months. After scheduling my LAVH with my OBGYN for March 14, I had some blood work done with my family physician she is suggesting a 2nd opinion. I think she has based this on the fact she felt I should have been put on Lupron to reduce fibroids size(9cm for one of them) and OBGYN sent my blood work results to me with no instruction to increase/regulate iron levels(I was @ 10.0 hemoglobin).

I was really finally coming to terms with emotions/reality of putting this behind me, and now I feel in a tug of war.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Re: Questions about fibroids and 2nd opinion.

Second opinion is always good. It does seem that your gyn sort of didn't address iron levels which is a common problem with abnormal bleeding. I think Lupron is something some drs are more prone to using and some are less prone to using.

You still have 3 weeks to have a second opinion, I would find someone who can see you in that time and see what they say. I would also ask lots of questions of all the drs such as why you can't have the fibroids removed without hyst, what are your other options, would hormones help etc.

I ended up requesting additional tests. I had a regular ultrasound to diagnose the fibroids but also had a histosonogram to get a better look. The better look showed I was not a candidate for any other procedure due to the location of the fibroids and the high number of very small ones. For me, hormones aren't an option so my only choice was to live with pain and bleeding or have a hyst. I know that I made the only decision I could make and don't regret it one bit.
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:05 PM

It's never wrong to get a second opinion. If you have any questions, you need to get them answered before the surgery so that you still have time to make a fully informed decision. Questioning the decision after the surgery will only leave you agonizing about situations that cannot be changed.

However, if you feel that the decision is the right one for you, then you need to settle things for yourself. Because of fibroids, my uterus was the size of a pregnancy at 19 to 20 weeks. I was not put on any medication to reduce the size of the fibroids. I had bloodwork done, but was not instructed to regulate iron either. My surgery went very well, and I had a really good recovery.

Good luck as you go through the process of deciding what is right for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Thank you for your response. I have a second opinion scheduled on Tuesday, but only to confirm how to proceed. I know this is the best option for me.
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlygig View Post
Second opinion is always good. It does seem that your gyn sort of didn't address iron levels which is a common problem with abnormal bleeding. I think Lupron is something some drs are more prone to using and some are less prone to using.

You still have 3 weeks to have a second opinion, I would find someone who can see you in that time and see what they say. I would also ask lots of questions of all the drs such as why you can't have the fibroids removed without hyst, what are your other options, would hormones help etc.

I ended up requesting additional tests. I had a regular ultrasound to diagnose the fibroids but also had a histosonogram to get a better look. The better look showed I was not a candidate for any other procedure due to the location of the fibroids and the high number of very small ones. For me, hormones aren't an option so my only choice was to live with pain and bleeding or have a hyst. I know that I made the only decision I could make and don't regret it one bit.
Unfortunately the size and location of the largest fibroids doesn't make me a good candidate for removing fibroids only. I do have a 2nd opinion scheduled for Tuesday, but after processing things last night, I am really behind my decision to proceed on March 14.
Thank you for you response. This site really helps during this difficult time.
Unread 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM

I had large fibroids and heavy bleeding, but luckily no pain.
My Doc sent me for an ablation first, which it was hoped would sort out the problem, and I would never have another period.

My uterus was at the top of the scale for this procedure, so it did not work as well as with most women.
The gaps between the periods lengthened but the bleeding was still heavy.

The largest fibroid was 10cm. I think that was why I was recommended to have the hysterectomy.
It takes a general anasthetic, and a couple of days from work. the ovaries remain so no menopause or HRT worries.

It may be worth asking your second opinion Doc whether this is an option for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register