can't sleep because of pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can't sleep because of pain can't sleep because of pain

Unread 10-19-2006, 06:29 AM
can't sleep because of pain

Hi,

Do any of you have adeno. endo. or fibroid pain that disrupts your sleep? I went to bed at 10:00, woke up at 1:30 and couldn't sleep the WHOLE night because of pain, sort of like labor pain without the contractions. I'm a mess today and this is interfering with my ability to function at work! This is the third month in a row this has happened. Nothing I can take over the counter helps with the pain. Thank goodness I only have one more month of this torture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 06:32 AM
Yes!!!

Jahee...
I know exactly what you are talking about. My bleeding is so heavy and the pain is so severe that it constantly disrupts my sleep. During my cycle the only time I can sleep is when I'm sitting in a reclining chair and reclined at just the right angle.
My poor dh didn't get any sleep last night either with me tossing and turning and moaning....

Cindy
Unread 10-19-2006, 06:41 AM

Cindy,

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I think my husband wants me to sleep in the guest room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 06:42 AM

I'm afraid I had it also. Nothing completely took the pain away, except of course having my uterus removed. However, Aleve would help. It just took 3-5 hours for it to start working !!!

Best wishes for surgeries that end all of your pain and suffering.

Kay
Unread 10-19-2006, 07:49 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to the pain....It truly does feel like labor and it at times can be unbearable...I have slept in my reclining loveseat for months now at least what I have slept. I have found the recliner helps me some and please talk to your doctor about pain management....My dh sleeps with me most of the time since it is a recliner and I have kept him up a lot of the time...He tells me it's okay and he would rather be beside me than not.....Soon we can both feel the relief of having our diseased organs removed.....Ibuprofen seems to help me the most with my abdominal pain...I take 600 milligrams every 6 hours rather I hurt at that time or not...My doctor tells me that keeping it in my system constantly helps the pain ....It seems to work....You are not alone and I have found out here that people do understand and it really helps.......Good Luck to you!!!!!!
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:03 AM

It is like labor --a constant pain that never goes away, only is reduced enough to function. I don't remember what a full night's sleep is anymore, but then again I've been an insomniac for so many years now. I don't like feeling like a hypochondriac, popping pills every few hours just to get through the day. I'll pay for this need of strong narcotics after surgery, but at least I have hope of a nice long snooze.

Lena
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM

I totally understand. My pain is so bad that I have been taking 1-2 Loratab 5/500 for a while now. Back in April, May and June I didn't stop hurting! My pain was constant from one period to the next. My lower back in the upper butt area and my thighs. They just ached and burned and the only way I could describe it was... just like labor pain but no breaks during contractions. I have tried heating pads, cool strip for the forehead, icy hot creams, ibuprophen, squatting, getting down on my knees and hands to see if the pressure would move, having my kids stand on my butt......nothing was working. I was going crazy! So I finally went back to the GYN and scheduled my hysterecotmy for Nov 28th. I just can't decide if I want the ovaries out of not.

I have waited so long b/c of my liver resection last July did a real number on me. I am still trying to bounce back from that.

I have adeno, fibroids, and multi cystic ovaries.......I don't know if I want the take HRT ie...I don't know if I should have the ovaries removed. The HRT may cause my liver tumors to grow. I don't want that surgery again.

What do you think? I want the pain to go away. I wonder if the ovaries are causing some of this pain or is it mainly the uterus? I don't want to leave anything but I don't want to be 33 in surgical menopause and not be able to take HRT.

Thanks for the VENT!

FNH
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM

A nurse friend of mine recommended 600mg Ibuprofen and 1000mg Tylenol which works beautifully but PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR PHARMACIST.
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:36 AM

I also know how you feel. I have tried Lortab, Tylenol PM's, you name it. I actually got Aleve PM at Target yesterday. Granted it takes a while to work, I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in 8 hours before. It really helped. When you continuously take meds to relieve pain or help you sleep, you gotta switch it up every now and then!! No, I'm not a druggie. But whatever works, works! We gotta go to work the next morning!!!!
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:46 AM

Hello, I had the same pain it does feel like labor pain, I had pain so bad one day I had my husband take me to the emergency room, I told the doctor it feels like I AM IN LABOR...... I had a ablation done last November it stoped the bleeding but the pain got worse. I had my LSH done 10/03/06, I am feeling 100 percent better. Hope everyone else gets the same results after the hysterectomy. Good Luck to everyone....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register