new at this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM
new at this

I am new to this so bear with me please! I had a hysterectomy on Friday, April 27th. I know it's only been 12 days, but I didn't know that I would feel this crappy! I'm still walking hunched over. When I walk it feels like I am carrying a brick in my pelvic area. I used to work out and be in pretty good shape. I was exhausted today carrying an empty cereal bowl and coffee cup a few feet! Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
new at this

Hi Marlene....I think what you are feeling is pretty normal IMO. I'm only 3 days behind you and I still feel pretty exhausted. I still have yet to drive my car or even walk more than a few steps beyond my house.
I am just now walking completely vertical and still taking slow baby steps.

I do however think that if I napped more throughout the day I wouldn't feel as easily tired, but I just can't nap no matter hard I try!
I am obeying all restrictions and my bf and kids have been absolutely SUPER! I went to drain the pasta tonight and had to stop and remind myself that I couldn't so my DD did it for me. It is the little things that we take for granted that are the hardest NOT to do.
If you are anything like me, then this not being able to do anything is driving you crazy and the exhaustion is something that I have never experienced as I'm a go go go type of gal. I'm trying my best to just give up and embrace this 'leisure lady' lifestyle. LoL
Are you napping at all throughout the day?
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
new at this

Did you have your staples or stitches removed yet. That really makes you feel like you don't want to stand up straight. It has this little pulling sensastion. As soon as the staples were out (OUCH) It felt so much better and even better was when the steri strips came off. I am going on 7 months out and I am just starting to come around. It takes a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
new at this

Hi Marlene,

I don't know what kind of hysterectomy you had and if you had any extra procedures or not but I know it is hard because some who had surgery around the same time as us are doing SO much better and are so much more active.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I did have extra back trouble also and came home on 2 crutches, then moved to one and today I tried to last all day without them as my back has calmed down. I too feel like I am carrying a brick! I walk like you. My tummy feels very tender and lifting a bottle of milk from the fridge HURTS!

Please don't worry. There is nothing wrong with you. We are just slow coaches for whatever reason and we need to take it easier. I have yet to go outside or drive or anything.. if I do anything for too long I start to break out in a sweat and feel dizzy and sick.. that is my cue to lay down.

Unread 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
new at this

shantra they did all that work on you thru a TVH? Your dr is good.
Unread 05-09-2007, 06:27 AM
new at this

I think that regardless of what procedure we had, we all heal at a different rate, Listen to your body and don't push yourself, it's been only 12 days. It's been almost 5 weeks since my surgery and it's taking me a long while to recover.
Unread 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM
new at this

Just quickly ilv2,

I was so lucky with my surgeon. My GP referred me to him because he is his own wifes Gynaecologist and delivered their son. I checked around and he has an awesome reputation of long standing and has been doing these surgeries for a very long time, he told me he has performed so many he has lost count over the years. He was very straight and honest about all of the complications and about his own success rate which he says is on par with the national averages.

When he visited me in hospital post op, which he did every day, he told me that he actually did an extensive reconnstruction of my pelvic floor. I also had his colleague who is an AUG certified Urogyn operating too, he did the transobdurator and assisted with the rest.

Basically he told me that he really did not want to do abdominal unless he really had to as he felt the amount of work they were going to do was enough trauma to cope with without having an abdominal wound to cope with as well.
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
new at this

I am so glad that you had some one with that much experience that is what we need when we have such problems. I sure hope the rest of your healing process goes quickly and smoothly.
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:57 AM
new at this

Hi,

You are doing fine at 12 days. It does get better but it takes time. Major surgery takes a lot out of you. Only recently I noticed when i get up from sitting I no longer feel any pain and I no longer stay hunched. The more you feel like moving the quicker the body will adjust.

Please use this time to rest as much as you can, I think that is why I recovered so well, I rested and did not rush into anything.
Please get plenty of rest and do walk when you are able.

take care,
Peggy
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
new at this

Trust in your body's abilities, the human body is an amazing machine. It wants to heal itself. Don't get cavalier about things, like everyone says listen to your body. If your body says sleep, then sleep. If your body says walk, then walk.
My body is saying "I want to go backpacking this weekend. Can we go, huh, can we?"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register