TAH One week post hysterectomy: Abdominal binder and steri strip question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week post hysterectomy: Abdominal binder and steri strip question One week post hysterectomy: Abdominal binder and steri strip question

Unread 10-02-2014, 09:01 PM
One week post hysterectomy: Abdominal binder and steri strip question

As far as the abdominal binder who uses it and who doesn't ? My nurse told me at the hospital to use it for a couple weeks. I used it for like 4 days then couldn't anymore. With the swell belly and how my body is naturally extremely curvy it made me more uncomfortable with it than without. I have an outting tomorrow and think I might wear it then to keep things well held but other than that I can't stand it.

And the steri strips...I was told I can take them off at 2 weeks. When did you take yours off and did you let them fall off on their own or just take them off? I still have a week left till I can take them off but the thought of doing so makes me nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Re: Abdominal binder and steri strip question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavisiaKatu View Post
As far as the abdominal binder who uses it and who doesn't ? My nurse told me at the hospital to use it for a couple weeks. I used it for like 4 days then couldn't anymore. With the swell belly and how my body is naturally extremely curvy it made me more uncomfortable with it than without. I have an outting tomorrow and think I might wear it then to keep things well held but other than that I can't stand it.

And the steri strips...I was told I can take them off at 2 weeks. When did you take yours off and did you let them fall off on their own or just take them off? I still have a week left till I can take them off but the thought of doing so makes me nervous.
I found ice and abdominal binder comfortable first 2-3 weeks then not...don't know why? hey you can always put steri strips back on..i mean clean ones if you think you aren't hangin' together..buy them at rehab or pharmacy..
I took mine off ..well I left them on two weeks as thought I needed it..*(I'm a nurse)
Unread 10-02-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky1 View Post
I found ice and abdominal binder comfortable first 2-3 weeks then not...don't know why? hey you can always put steri strips back on..i mean clean ones if you think you aren't hangin' together..buy them at rehab or pharmacy..
I took mine off ..well I left them on two weeks as thought I needed it..*(I'm a nurse)
Thanks for the info!! I will probably "try" to take mine off at 2 weeks. If I get to freaked out Ill wait a little longer hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2014, 11:44 PM

If the binder is too much but you want some support, try support panty hose, a larger panty girdle, some find yoga pants give nice support but room to expand when swelly belly hits.

I did not use one, never heard of them until after when I came here. But then I did not have abdominal. But I do have a belly that jiggled when I walked so I would hold it with my hand. Kind of looked like you see pregnant women who walk around holding their belly!
Unread 10-03-2014, 05:59 AM

I woke up from surgery in an abdominal binder and I was told by my doctor that I have to wear it nonstop for six weeks (except in the shower). I find that it's a lot easier for me to stand up straight and do things with the binder on than it is with it off. Showering is a nightmare still (I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post-op). All that being said, I should add that I also had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. The plastic surgeon took tissue and a little muscle from my abdomen to reconstruct my breasts. So I have a huge incision and the binder is a wonderful thing.
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
If the binder is too much but you want some support, try support panty hose, a larger panty girdle, some find yoga pants give nice support but room to expand when swelly belly hits.

I did not use one, never heard of them until after when I came here. But then I did not have abdominal. But I do have a belly that jiggled when I walked so I would hold it with my hand. Kind of looked like you see pregnant women who walk around holding their belly!
hee..I do the same thing..find I place my hand on my belly as I walk...sometimes I notice another stranger doing this and I think..hmm..you must have had this stuff done
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca32385 View Post
I woke up from surgery in an abdominal binder and I was told by my doctor that I have to wear it nonstop for six weeks (except in the shower). I find that it's a lot easier for me to stand up straight and do things with the binder on than it is with it off. Showering is a nightmare still (I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post-op). All that being said, I should add that I also had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. The plastic surgeon took tissue and a little muscle from my abdomen to reconstruct my breasts. So I have a huge incision and the binder is a wonderful thing.
oh my...you've been through a lot...my girlfriend had this done...she found it all rather painful...sounds like you're doing well...emailing at 21/2 weeks and trying to shower..you take care...my girlfriend is happy with everything...but she's like post op a year now
Unread 10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Re: One week post hysterectomy: Abdominal binder and steri strip question

I found after I got home the binder was getting in the way of gas moving and was more comfortable without it. As for the steri strips, I had staples that were removed before I left the hospital. The steri strips really weren't holding anything. They were stinky and I took them off at 10 days.
Unread 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavisiaKatu View Post
Thanks for the info!! I will probably "try" to take mine off at 2 weeks. If I get to freaked out Ill wait a little longer hehe
your body will tell you...it may be different for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register