What do I need to know before I go? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I need to know before I go? What do I need to know before I go?

Unread 01-08-2001, 03:24 AM
What do I need to know before I go?

Dear sisters,

I go in tomorrow for my surgery. Last week when I met with my new family doc. He was very actually human and very caring. Due to an insurance glitch I am now with him. He told me I would have a catheter in for a few days. That's the first I heard of that. I knew I would have one but with other surgeries they took it out before I was awake.

I am just wondering what else I may not have assumed or thought of. I am anxious. My 7 year old is worried. Unfortuanately I am not the type that could keep it quiet until the day before. So many people are involved in my care as well as the girls. Also she does not like surprises. I don't know what would have been better. Anyway I have good plans in place.\

My mother and many of my aunts are nurses. So they are planning to be around one of them use to be an assistant dean at a large university here in town. So my mom wants her to be there so that the hosptial staff know I am her neice. I guess you could say I am hoping to get the royal treatment instead of struggleing with getting my needs met whcih has happened so many times before with this medical stuff.

This is my 9th surgery. My grandmother who has been dead for 10 years birthday is 1/9 she also was a nurse. I belive in these connections and find great comfort in them.

I need to get my shower fo my massage at 9:30 then off to my favorite bookstore and cafe' I guess i will just have tea. Clear liquids you know.

Thanks for listening so to speak any reply especially today would be great. I will take a peak before I go to bed tonight which will probably late.

Peace and Grace,
balancinglisa
tah bso 1/9/01 2:30PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2001, 04:29 AM

Sending good vibes your way. The wait is really the hardest part, and you are almost past the wait. You will be in the thoughts and prayers of many.

Sounds like you are very prepared and that is an important step.

Unread 01-08-2001, 09:03 AM

I agree with Lisa, you sound like all your plans are in good order. My kids were also worried, and I needed to do a lot of reassuring, especially for my oldest, who has OCD. He also is not able to deal with surprise situations. So I did my very best preparing them, and Him for all that I thought would take place. My DH also was great, answering their questions. I know for a fact that he spoke to them when I wasn't around(I evasdropped)sp? The main key is too be honest and if she asks if your scared, tell her if you are. She may surprise you and start taking care of you! They really love being in charge, as we all know. Best Wishes, and keep us posted. We'll all be praying for you! Roz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2001, 09:22 AM

I brought some fruit with me to the hospital. The first two days, I didn't touch them, but once my bowels were going and I was able to have the liquid meal, the nurses let me eat some fruit with the terrible hospital liquid meal. It made it more fun.

Best of luck.

See you soon on the post-op site.

Emily
Unread 01-08-2001, 09:38 AM

My kids, 6 and 9 were worried too. We told them the weekend before surgery and told them where they would be staying while I was in the hospital (we had them stay with friends for 3 days which was very helpful to my husband and actually good for the kids).

I had my kids help a lot when I was home. I taught my son how to do laundry (he is the 6 year old) and my daughter has been very helpful in the kitchen.

I had some friends lined up to bring meals a few times and I also had cooked and frozen some meals. While you may not be eating much for a while after surgery, the rest of the family needs to eat (and you do not need to be dealing with food preparation !)

Waiting was truly the worst part for me. I am now almost 5 weeks post op. I drove the kids to school today and they dealt with their backpacks (I cannot lift them yet). I came home and took down the Christmas tree, had breakfast and now I am ready for a rest.

I would recommend bringing a couple of pillows to the hospital-- they made me more comfortable. Also bring pads and underwear (the pads at the hospital do not stick to anything !) The only other things I used at the hospital were chapstick and a few toiletries.

Good luck tomorrow. Post and let us know how you are doing when you get home.

Any other questions today, we will be here !

Unread 01-08-2001, 07:05 PM
Off you go!

Now, unless you are a medical doctor all you need to do is show up in the morning. I promise, you will do just fine. Make a few notes for in the morning. Get into bed and dream of white panties and clean sheets. Life on this side of Hyster Land is wonderful and great. When you get in to your room, drink everything that you can get your lips on. Take your slippers and get ready to take a walk when they let you up. Liquid and walking are great for a speedy recovery. Also know, that we all are saying a prayer of healing for you. LOL

Menae
Unread 01-08-2001, 08:15 PM

Don't forget to bring with you our thoughts and good wishes.

God bless you.

Unread 01-08-2001, 08:44 PM

Just wanted to join in and send good vibes your way. And don't worry so much: the hardest IS the waiting. I know, hard to believe now, but you will say that too, once you're back from the castle.

As far as the catheter goes, they keep it in for about 24 hours because the bladder is often affected by the surgery, being so close to the uterus. They also want to make that it drains properly, because bladder pain is awful after a hyster. I know: mine was hard to trigger back to work and it was very painful.

Will be thinking of you and your twins tomorrow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register