What can cause enlarged ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can cause enlarged ovaries? What can cause enlarged ovaries?

Unread 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
What can cause enlarged ovaries?

A my doctors appointment last week I was informed my left ovary is double it's size and my right one is the size of a grapefruit. He didn't say anything that could be the reason and was not concerned about it. I do have PCOS but don't remember in all the reading I've done about it that it can cause your ovaries to do that.

Anyone ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Re: What can cause enlarged ovaries?

Hi doulaamber

I can understand your concern. There are several conditions that can cause ovarian enlargement and PCOS *is* one of them. A quick web search shows PCOS, Ovarian cysts, Endometriosis related cysts, Tubo-ovarian abscess, cancer, and congenital enlargement to be among others.

I had an U/S tech scare me about my ovaries. My GYN was out of town and she felt I should not wait for him to get back to discuss the findings. Turns out, the physician did not find it as worrisome. I was scheduled to have that ovary removed anyway, but the wait was long.

It might be somewhat comforting to know that your GYN wasn't concerned by the appearance, but it would have been helpful if he would have given you some possible reasons for it --- or reasons why he wasn't too concerned --- maybe certain characteristics are what lead him to feel that way, etc . In any respect, your surgery is a ways away. Perhaps you could call him back and talk to him again about your concerns now that you've had time to soak things in after your visit. Second opinions are recommended for any major medical issues anyway, & using a GYN oncologist for such opinions can be helpful when it's the possibility of "big C" that they're most worried about. Don't be afraid to call your GYN back with questions or concerns. He works *for* you, and it's your body.

I hope you find the support you are looking for and wish you the best with your surgery & recovery.

:
Beth
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Re: What can cause enlarged ovaries?

I would ask him for some answers on what he thinks is going on and what can be done. good luck
hugs
Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register