Foley Catheter post op? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Foley Catheter post op? Foley Catheter post op?

Unread 01-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Re: Foley Catheter post op?

My surgeon was very clear that the catheter would go in once I was under general anesthesia - and be removed the next morning. Removal was simple - count to 1-2-3 and it was done, breathe out as it is removed. No big deal.

what he said was exactly right. I think those are his standard orders for all of his da vinci patients. It worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM

uihc: As it was explained to me (and perhaps this was particular to my surgery, a radical) one of the nerves to the bladder is actually cut and it takes the other bladder nerves a little time (longer in some people than others) to compensate for the work of the cut one. You're right in that the removal of the actual catheter is "no big deal." It's the time it takes for the return of normal bladder function that can vary with the surgery and the individual.
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM

I freaked out about the foley too before my surgery. My surgery was last tuesday and Thursday morning mine was taken out, I urinated within 20 mins, I was so happy I walked down the hall to tell the nuses.....I peed, I peed!!!! lol. It wasn't too bad but a little uncomfortable for me. Most of my pain during my hospital stay was from the foley. I do think I have a UTI from it and will be seeing my doc Wed morning.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Isn't it amazing how excited we get over being able to pee and poo?I know I was! I even text my friend who had hers 3 weeks before mine.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM

I had same surgery on the 14th of Jan and went home with catheter for 10 days. I was able to remove it myself and within 4 hours I urinated. However I don't have the urge to urinate, just go every few hours. However I have been having lots of pain in the bladder area ???? It started before i removed the catheter. Time for some research.

Don't sweat the catheter...it's a great way to gross out your kids.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register