Lupron Depot - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Lupron Depot

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge. It's a tough decision and I just want to be informed. So thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Lupron Depot

Sick & Tired,
I have been on lupron since October 3 - second shot October 31. For me it has been nothing. The first month, I had one day of acne and two hot flashes. So far this second month, 1 hot flast (I think!!). I had done so much reading on this and was terrified because there were so many bad stories but then I researched further and found a ton of GOOD stories. Remember, no news is good news. I had a chat with a nurse at Script Assist with TAP and she told me many, many women do well on this. I did a ton of research!
We're all so different.
Good luck,
Monica
Unread 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Lupron Depot

Hi Sick&Tired84

Like you, I was concerned about the possible side effects of the drug. When doing my own research, I noticed that many of the opinions offered about Lupron were actually from women who had no personal experience with it themselves - so, I just focused on those who did.

Of the women who had used it, it seemed to me that I found more positive, or at least acceptable, experiences than negative ones; but since there are some women don’t do well on it (& we don’t know ahead of time who will or won’t) it’s very important to weigh the risks of potential side effects with the potential benefits. Remember that many medications have long lists of possible side effects- it doesn’t mean they are going to happen. Some (ie hot flashes) are expected, some occur occasionally and many are very rare. Obviously, side effects typical of menopause are the most likely. The hot flashes weren't fun but they were certainly tolerable and well worth the trade-off for not having bloating, PMS, anemia, humiliating flooding, incapacitating cramps, and knife-like ovarian pains. My pain came back after it wore off, but it was a nice break from all that while it lasted.

I thought I knew what to expect with surgical menopause since I had been on Lupron, but my chemically induced menopause was easier than the real thing.

The health care professionals who know you personally are the only folks qualified to advise you on what’s best for you and your situation, but even then, it’s a personal decision. Good luck to you either way.

Best wishes & gentle s
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Lupron Depot

Hello Ladies,

Wow, some very powerful and emotional information already posted on this subject.

Right before my 30th birthday, my endo symptoms seemed to go off the charts. I was in pain 24/7 and bleeding very heavily for 25 out of every 30 days. I had to run out of business meetings with blood pooling in my shoes......run to the car to get a change of clothes and return to the meeting like nothing ever happened. How humiliating. My whole life was trying to get through each day and my greatest ambition was to come home and put my sweats on with my heating pad and painkillers until I was able to sleep - but never through the whole night, the pain and heavy bleeding prevented that. I was engaged to be married and my honeymoon was already over, if you know what I mean!! I was depressed and physically ill in some ways too.

After laparscopic surgery to affirmitively diagnose the endo, and then remove the adhesions and existing endo, which was severe, especially in the area of my bladder/rectum/colon. I did 10 months of the Lupron shots. I did a 1-month shot and then 3 (3) month shots. I wasn't prepared for the chemical menopause.......had no idea the hot flashes would be so extreme and my moods were off the charts.

I went back to my doctor and broke down. She listen to my concerns, keeping in mind the ultimate goal for me was to improve my quality of life - and end the pain the best we could. So she prescribed add-back therapy and an anti-depressant. After a few weeks, I actually felt pretty good. I still had night sweats, but my moods were more even and I didn't experience anymore hot flashes the entire time. In addtion -- no periods for 10 months and no pain! What a wonderful gift! I also took the maximum dosage of calcium +D every single day while on the Lupron, and then continued to take it even after I'd stopped the Lupron shots.

Unfortunately for me, the gift of Lupron only lasted four more months after I stopped taking it. The symptoms began to return - not in full force, but I could see where it was heading. So, my doctor put me on continous birth control pills, which seemed to do the trick. Yes I was nauseaus for a good 6 weeks or so, but I figured I owed it to myself and the people who love me to give it a try, before trying something much more drastic and permanent.

I was on the continuous birth control pills for approximately 5 years with great success. Then, at the beginning of this year, it just seemed to stop working for me. We tried a few other "band-aid" approaches, and then finally I decided I didn't want to do this anymore, I was done, I wanted the hysterectomy, and my ovaries out too. I was starting to have trouble with painful BM's and urinating, the familiar endo pain, suffocating my organs.

So, in my mind, Lupron was very helpful for me. Instead of having a hysterectomy at 30, I had a hysterectomy at 36. And the years in between were, for the very most part pain-free.

There are risks with everything we eat, everything we do. I know the biggest concern with Lupron is the premature bone loss. Which is why I started to take calcium and have continued ever since. There is a TON of information out their on Lupron.

Keep in mind that a lot of people who are doing well and have gotten on with their lives are not taking the time out of their happy lives to post here. It's those of us who are still going through something, hence you will hear many more bad stories (most likely) in these types of groups than good. But the good stories do exist.

You have right to make up your own mind about this. And what you and your doctor might feel is best for you. But please get the unbiased facts from your doctor, pharmacist, library or research on the internet, not necessarily word of mouth accounts -- those are not unbiased, not even mine and you can't make a good decision for YOU based on MY biased experiences.

One other thought - when I decided to start the Lupron, I started with the 1 month dose for a reason. This way, if I was immediately so uncomfortable and felt I couldn't bear it, I could just not do it again, rather than getting the 3 month and having to wait 12 weeks to get it out of my system and deal with it during all that time.

I really hope you find an answer that is good for you in your situation.

Take Care,
Christine
Unread 11-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Lightbulb - Lupron Depot New here - my personal exper.

Hello - this is my first post, but something I felt qualified to say. I was given a 9 month therapy of Lupron in 2001-2002. I had already had 2 laps for endo, and was having Lupron to keep the endo at bay before beginning fertility treatments. I had all of the "common" side effects - hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness, headaches and weight gain (that I was never able to get off!!). However, for me, I would do it again in a second. After the therapy and some fertility for a few months, I became pregnant with my DD. What a blessing! It is really a decision of whether the bad side effects will result in a positive. For me, at that time, it did. Best wishes and good luck making a tough decision!
Unread 11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Lupron Depot

Hi, I started Lupron on 6 November (I know it's early yet) but was also placed on Add-back right away and take an antidepressant for MS (which I have). I think that both if these things will help guard against some of the tough side-effects.

It's crazy, a person could scare themselves to death will all of the horror stories you read about from people (even on this board). It is best to talk with your doctor and know that any medication has an up and downside. The real question is will any potential side-effects be outeweighed by potential benefits.

For me, the answer was a resounding yes. Like Paininthe, I started with the 1 month shot and will do the 3 month shot if all goes as planned.

Take care and best wishes!

Diana
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Lupron Depot

Hi,
I am in week 6 (almost) of my therapy. For me it has been nothing, two hot flashes the first month and this past week have been getting more. The only thing I can say has been irritating is the vaginal burning but compared to everything else it is nothing. So many women do well on this and most do not post - that is one of the things that did not make me as scared to go on it!
Good luck
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Lupron Depot

You can pick any drug almost and go on the Net and find horror stories on it. I am on a drug called Lyrica for neuropathic pain of MS. This drug has been godsend for me -- but from the stories I had read in the midst of my research -- I was nervous!

Same with Lupron. I am almost a week under my belt and so far so good.
Unread 11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Unhappy - Lupron Depot Gonna go crazy soon....

I have been on Lupron Depot for about 3 months now...about 2 yrs ago I started to having a "sick" feeling, so I went to a gastronenterologist and had numerous test done, have been on all kinds of acid relux drugs, none have helped. I started to get cramps about 6 months ago that would not go away..had ultrasound done and have cysts and fibroid on back of my uterus...so my Dr said to try Lupron..the only benefit that i see is no period. I get a lot hot flashes and I am very tired all the time, and I cant' seem to get rid of the nausea. I dont know if it is the Lupron or something else...I feel like its in my head and I am going to go insane if Idont get an answer. I am probably going to have a hyst. Most of the women in my family have had one...I wonder if it will help my symptoms? Good thing I still have my sense of humor
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Ive been therem, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick&tired84
Does anyone know of the potential severe long term side effects of using the lupron depot? I've been searching the net and all I have been able to find are the most common side effects like hot flashes and moodiness. My doc wants me to seriously consider this treatment but I am having reservations.

I am almost finished with my 6th month of the lupron shot now. Its a series of 2 shots now, you get one, then 3 months later you get the second. I get horrible migranes so I was very hesitant about doing this treatment, but I decided it was worth it if it helped with my pain. Wouldn't you know it, it didn't affect my migranes at all! In fact it helped them a little because the lack of estrogen in my body supressed them a bit. GREAT NEWS! lol I would definatly reccomend getting the shots if you have endo, depending on what stage you're in and your amount of pain. Menopause suck, hot flashes and night sweats suck, but they don't last the whole time. I would do it again in a heart beat. Any questions feel free to ask me!!! As for the long term side effects, its pretty rare to have any. You find lots of negative about it online, but think about it this way, when you watch the news, how much of it is actually good, positive news that you love to hear about? Not much right? So just remember that there are many success stories out there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register