Pmdd and hysterectomy - Anyone have any experience with this? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pmdd and hysterectomy - Anyone have any experience with this? Pmdd and hysterectomy - Anyone have any experience with this?

Unread 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Re: Pmdd and hysterectomy - Anyone have any experience with this?

I've been diagnosed with PMDD. I tried Prozac briefly, but that made me worse. I got some improvement through diet, exercise, meditation, prayer, and vitamin supplements.

I finally had everything except the cervix removed. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I have read that there is a connection between PMDD and hypothyroidism. When the thyroid is happy, the woman is happy. Vitamin D seems to be particularly helpful. I now take 2000iu of Vitamin D per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDMAKEITGOAWAY View Post
The Spironolactone was primarily for the irritability. The Progesterone was also for irritability but the fluctuating moods. Seems contradictory to add hormones for hormone problems. I had to play around with the doses because too little made me irritable and too much makes me irritable. It did make me feel better and my friends can tell a difference but I'm ready to be done with it all. I haven't seriously dated in years because this doesn't exact make you date worthy. It's good that you have a husband that's helping you get through this.
Hubby and I have been thru hell and back with the pmdd. I wasn't actually diagnosed with it until last year after hubby was researching reasons he felt I was going crazy on him. I didn't even believe him at first.. but once I read all the symptoms.. there really was no doubt. The one symptom that really convinced me.. was always feeling highly criticized... when apparently that wasn't the case.. and attacking him for criticizing me.

I feel very fortunate that I have such a strong and loyal man. Despite the pmdd.. I have been able to support my hubby thru many horrible issues and relationships he has.. so maybe thats why we survived.. albeit barely sometimes as he has ptsd from women attacking him mentally, verbally and physically in the past. Its always hard when one persons mental problems pushes the buttons of the other persons mental issues. lol.

We were on the verge of ending it when he found the info on pmdd.. and I was at the point that I just wanted the fighting to end..one way or another.. and was willing to look at myself as the cause for the first time. Before this.. I was convinced that he was attacking me and I was defending myself.

Things have gotten much better since being medicated.. tho I still feel those feelings at times.. but at least I know whats going on now. That helps too.

So ya.. I def can see how it would make dating pretty much a nightmare. Hopefully the meds and/or the surgery will help your pmdd and you can get out there and start dating again!!
Unread 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola_e View Post
I've been diagnosed with PMDD. I tried Prozac briefly, but that made me worse. I got some improvement through diet, exercise, meditation, prayer, and vitamin supplements.

I finally had everything except the cervix removed. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I have read that there is a connection between PMDD and hypothyroidism. When the thyroid is happy, the woman is happy. Vitamin D seems to be particularly helpful. I now take 2000iu of Vitamin D per day.
That's interesting.. my previous dr had me tested for hypothyroid but the test came back normal. I may have my new dr. look into again and see if there is any variance at all.

Having fibro.. I am affected negatively with very little variance in balances or input of stimuli. For example.. when I worked on the line at fords.. they started piling on the work and what would take a few months to injure other people would take a matter of hours for me. Maybe that's the case for the hypothyroidism. Its worth looking into anyways.

My Dr. did tell me he wants me on Vit D everyday. I was taking it before the surgery.. but with all the pills I am taking now for pain and my other conditions.. I haven't been taking that one. I have also been able to get out into the sun alot more lately too so I wasnt so worried about taking that one right now.

Thanks for sharing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new&improved View Post
That's interesting.. my previous dr had me tested for hypothyroid but the test came back normal. I may have my new dr. look into again and see if there is any variance at all.

Having fibro.. I am affected negatively with very little variance in balances or input of stimuli. For example.. when I worked on the line at fords.. they started piling on the work and what would take a few months to injure other people would take a matter of hours for me. Maybe that's the case for the hypothyroidism. Its worth looking into anyways.

My Dr. did tell me he wants me on Vit D everyday. I was taking it before the surgery.. but with all the pills I am taking now for pain and my other conditions.. I haven't been taking that one. I have also been able to get out into the sun alot more lately too so I wasnt so worried about taking that one right now.

Thanks for sharing!!
Your welcome. I am so thankful for this site and the ability to give and receive support. I feel like a new woman!! The PMDD is an ancient memory, I have more energy and life than I've had in years.

I had a little setback with sinusitis and stress a few days ago, but I didn't over react. I just wrote in my journal, reached out on this site, and got input from my doctor. I feel that I am back on track. I recommend the book "Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy; The Naturally Balanced Solution to Hormone Replacement" by Rudy Dragone, R.PH. He is a compounding pharmacist, and he explains hormones in easy to understand language.
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola_e View Post
Your welcome. I am so thankful for this site and the ability to give and receive support. I feel like a new woman!! The PMDD is an ancient memory, I have more energy and life than I've had in years.

I had a little setback with sinusitis and stress a few days ago, but I didn't over react. I just wrote in my journal, reached out on this site, and got input from my doctor. I feel that I am back on track. I recommend the book "Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy; The Naturally Balanced Solution to Hormone Replacement" by Rudy Dragone, R.PH. He is a compounding pharmacist, and he explains hormones in easy to understand language.
I have heard that pmdd gets better when you have your ovaries removed. My gyn refused to take them as she figured the benefits of keeping them outweigh the risks of taking them.. including early menopause.

I just reached the 4 wk mark which also marks my last period. I have had all the symptoms of pms/pmdd except cramps and bleeding. Mood swings and headaches have been the worst of it.. tho I also did get alot of muscle tension in my shoulders/neck and lower back. The nice thing is so far I feel not too bad today and the pmdd would normally be going on for another 2-3 days. so yayee for that but not so yayee for the increase in pmdd symptoms despite the meds.
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM

In 2008 I had both my ovaries and my uterus removed for migraines/PMDD/heavy bleeding. My PMDD stopped immediately and I have never looked back. I have suffered from depression since and am on Wellbutrin and Effexor now. The combination seems to be a miracle for me. Lexapro reduced my libido so much it was impossible for me to reach orgasm. I can not have hormone replacements as they immediately bring back my migraines (suffered from one long migraine for 5 years. I've had enough. I still get them with weather and stress but that's better than constant.) I was 33 when I had my hysterectomy but I had an amazing obgyn who listened to me. So far she's been the only doctor who has, before or since.
Unread 06-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Pmdd and hysterectomy - Anyone have any experience with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new&improved View Post
I have heard that pmdd gets better when you have your ovaries removed. My gyn refused to take them as she figured the benefits of keeping them outweigh the risks of taking them.. including early menopause.

I just reached the 4 wk mark which also marks my last period. I have had all the symptoms of pms/pmdd except cramps and bleeding. Mood swings and headaches have been the worst of it.. tho I also did get alot of muscle tension in my shoulders/neck and lower back. The nice thing is so far I feel not too bad today and the pmdd would normally be going on for another 2-3 days. so yayee for that but not so yayee for the increase in pmdd symptoms despite the meds.
My Dr told me to keep the ovaries because of my age even though the week before my period starts I am darn near suicidal. What helps me is the vitamin 5htp... Over the counter. Google it and see if it might help you. I am 7 days post op and this is "hell week" for me. So far so good.
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM

I had PMDD and I felt that it nearly destroyed me. When I told my doc all of my symptoms combined with my heavy bleeding he said let's take it all out and start from scratch. I am almost three weeks post op and haven't started any hrt yet but because I am only 37 I am pretty sure that I am going to need it to prevent things like vaginal atrophy and for my skin and such. I can tell you that I woke up feeling like a gray cloud had been removed from over my head and the sun was shining bright. I felt better instantly. I still have some time to go before I can tell how much it is going to help me but I don't feel like I am in that raging fog anymore called PMDD. I would have maybe 8 good days a month and the rest I lived in a haze of emotions of extreme high and low and very suicidal. And I am not a suicidal person. I am a Pollyanna. The PMDD hit me about 2.5 years ago. Before that I felt fine.
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:15 PM

I also meant to say that that is probably not what you wanted to hear but that there are support groups for women with PMDD and on Facebook there is a page that has lots of good advice and support. I could never find a good way to control my PMDD. I would love to hear how things work out for you. Keep us updated.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:22 AM

I was also diagnosed with PMDD about a year after the birth of my second child in 2008. I was prescribed Zoloft 125mg and it helped tremendously. My DaVinci LAVH was on June 9, but my ovaries were not removed so I have no intention of stopping the Zoloft. I am able to reach orgasm on this drug as well. Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register