TVH and scared of post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH and scared of post-op TVH and scared of post-op

Unread 04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
TVH and scared of post-op

Hello,

I am new to this site but I have found it to be very informational and helpful so far. My TVH is scheduled for June 2 - yes a ways but May was tooo busy for me - and I am more afraid of right after the surgery. I am not sure what to expect and I am deathly afraid of getting sick. I was very ill back in 2003 - lost over 70 lbs in 3 months because I couldn't eat and keep anything down so I developed a phobia of getting sick. Anyone have any words or advice that could possible set my mind at ease? I know every person is different but if anyone has had a TVH (there are no other issues other that will be added to the TVH) I would love to hear from you.

I hope everyone who is waiting can stay calm and be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel as they say

Thanks a whole bunch!
Ourpunkin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 01:11 PM

I'm the same way! I am deathly afraid of being sick post-op. I've had several surgeries and every time, I have voiced my concerns with the anesthesiologist and they have always mixed a good anti-nausea cocktail for me (involves anti-nausea before, during, and after surgery).

My mother has always asked for the scopalamine (sp?) patches that she wears behind her ear for surgery and that has helped her as well.

Good luck! I feel your fears as they are my fears too and literally gives me the jitters just thinking about it.
Unread 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Even though I feel for you as well it is good to know I am not alone. Most people think I am crazy for being scared of that. They are like "it is no big deal" well we think it is huh? When I was sick back in 2003 I had my gallbladder out I woke up in recovery throwing up and threw up every time I moved for 48 hours. I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy and told the anesthesiologist about it and he assured me that he would make sure I wasn't sick and I wasn't. I did suffer anesthesia awareness during that surgery though which leads to a whole other scare.

Thanks again for your post and since I am new here I don't know all the terms and what not yet but it looks like you will be having yours very soon so I wish you the best of luck and please let me/us know how it goes and more importantly how you are doing!! Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM

No, I totally understand you. Most people think I am CRAZY for worrying about it so much!

Sadly, I think I would probably prefer the anesthesia awareness over being nauseous and vomiting after surgery. That's pretty bad, huh?

Ask your anesthesiologist about the scopalamine patch. I've heard it really helps.

Yeah, my surgery is on Monday, so I'm a little ahead of you and will for sure have you in my thoughts as a fellow-sister with the same fears!
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM

Whats anesthesia awareness?
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Anesthesia awareness, or "unintended intra-operative awareness" occurs during general anesthesia, when a patient has not had enough general anesthetic or analgesic to prevent consciousness.
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM

That sound horrible!!! Did your anesthsiologist (sp) give you more to put you back to sleep? That just gives me one more thing to think about and be terified of!!! You poor thing, I hope that your surgery goes well this time.
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Oh my gosh!! do they know if that's going on? will you be able to feel what there doing? Something else to worry about.
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM

To all my hystersisters posting on this page,
Please don't get freaked out over anesthisia awareness. It is very, very uncommon and under controlled surgeries (such as the ones you are all having, it would be extremely rare). Remember that the vast, vast majority of surgeries do not encounter this, so don't put this on you "worry" list. It's just not worth your worry. The anesthiologists know what they are doing, and will see to it that you are well taken care of. If it will ease your mind, speak to the anesthiologist before surgery (they usually come in right before) and voice your concerns. I'm sure that will help you feel better about it. Also, after my LAVH/BSO two weeks ago, I had absolutely no nausea or vomiting and I know of many women who don't either. Talk to your doctor and again the anesthesiologist about these concerns too. They should be able to answer your questions. You'll all be fine...and remember that afterward, you'll be on your recovery to a new and better you!!
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:51 PM

I agree. It is a very, very rare thing to happen (the anesthesia awareness). I'm a worry wart, and it's not on my list of worries!

Thanks for the reassurance on the post-op nausea. The more people that tell me they had no problems, the better it makes me feel. Like my chances are improving. Yah, I know I'm cheesy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register