vacation 6 wks post-op, what can I do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vacation 6 wks post-op, what can I do vacation 6 wks post-op, what can I do

Unread 04-10-2005, 12:52 PM
vacation 6 wks post-op, what can I do

I will be going to Florida exactly 6 weeks after surgery. Will I be able to do the fun water sports, like wave runners, rafting etc...
I am in good physical shape and eat healthy. I run 3.25 miles every other day so I am hoping that it will help with a speedy recovery.
I am also worried about this whole swelly belly deal. Am I going to look pregnant after this? I have worked hard for this flat belly and at 38 years old I can't have any set backs.
Please help, I plan on just doing only what I have to do after surgery so I can heal faster.
Please give me some positive replies that my vacation will not be ruined. If I have to, I guess I can sit at the Tiki Bar and drink the frozen drinks to pass the time.

Thanks for all the info in advance.

Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 01:22 PM

positive reply PM-ed to you!

Unread 04-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Hi, M -

I am six weeks post -op (TAH) and while I am not in quite as good shape as you, I am having an excellent recovery. Your recovery should go very well since you are in such great shape!

I feel great! I could definitley swim. I would not try waterskiing, etc. I don't think you'll be at the Tiki Bar the whole time but you will want to have it close by... I think things like snorkeling, sailing, walks on the beach with some light climbing might be ok if you are feeling good.

I am not in pain (actually, never really was) - but after sitting up for a long time or doing activities that require me to bend over a lot or get up from a sitting a lot, I feel achy in the abdomen. When I feel that way, I try to stop what I am doing and get in a more comfortable position. If I heed my body's warning signs, I get better faster!

My abdomen is still tender with pressure so, for me, the idea of doing poetentially high-impact sports or anything that make me use abdominal muscles under stress does not seem preferable.

It is wise to still take it easy and have a follow-up with your doctor before you leave town. At five weeks post-op, my doc. "cleared" me saying that I could do light exercise and resume a normal life (with hubby) - just remember to take it easy.

A vacation would be perfect right now! Have fun!
Best Wishes - inagony(nomore)

PS - as far as the bathing suit - swelly belly abated after about week 3 but flares uop a bit when I overdo it. I still wear the tummy binder because it feels better so you might want to think about that... but I saw some nice bathing suits (PM if you want to know where) with super lycra that act like a tummy binder. I am going to try this so I can start swimming for exercise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 02:11 PM

inagony (no more)

hi, i was reading your last post and you mentioned an abdominal binder. what is this and where did you purchase it? is it something that you wear just around the abdomen or like a panty girdle.

thanks for the info
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Hi - I was given a tummy binder at the hospital. I used it so much I had to get a new one because the stitiching was coming undone - I bought the replacement at a pharmacy that sells hospital equipment. I first read about the tummy binder on this site, actually, and made a point to ask my doc. about it. It is a large elastic wrap that acts like a girdle. It must be put on when lying down - so when you stand up, it helps keep the abdominal contents in place instead of dreaded gravity doing its work on delicate internal stitches. I credit the binder for my speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register