Fibroids - I do not want a hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - I do not want a hysterectomy Fibroids - I do not want a hysterectomy

Unread 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Re: Fibroids - I do not want a hysterectomy

Again thank you all so much, I am making a list to talk to my doctor for alternatives. One other question would a D&C help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2015, 09:44 PM

Probably not if any of your fibroids are in the muscle. A hysteroscopic procedure would allow the doctor to see inside and get a better take of what is happening in there. Possibly they can remove any fibroids in the uterus during the procedure too. Had my doctor not retired as quickly as he did I would have had this procedure combined with UFE.
Unread 03-24-2015, 05:40 AM

How old are you? Sometimes age can also make a difference in treatment. If you do have adenomyosis, as well, hyst is a cure. Sometimes fibroids and adeno go hand in hand. Adeno is when the endometrial pockets get into the muscle wall of the uterus, fill w blood and cause pain. My adeno began to fill in every day oft calender w pain. My adeno was my admitting diagnosis. Buts confirmed also by pathology. I was told I had 1 fibroid and it ended up there were many in my uterus. I'm pain free now. Ask lotsa questions.
Unread 03-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Fibroids - I do not want a hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila2008 View Post
Again thank you all so much, I am making a list to talk to my doctor for alternatives. One other question would a D&C help?
Don't be surprised if you don't get a warm and fuzzy response from your doctor.
Hysterectomies are easy money for doctors and many will try to tell you "need" one.
I had to do most of the work myself and it took a few awful doctors before I found my awesome GYN.
She introduced me to my equally awesome surgeon who introduced me to the wonderful Interventional Radiologist.
Don't be discouraged if your doctor isn't a great help.
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:10 AM

I would like to add that age is irrevelant if you don't want major surgery. Our organs are not in our bodies simply for baby making and just because we are older does not mean they should automatically be removed. This is a ridiculous consensus. UAE has proven very effective for adeno if GYN's would give it a chance. I wish there was not this conflict between specialities.
Unread 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM

I'm 41, and this doctor is new for me. I've been to others that have dismissed my pain. I'm not going to judge her to quickly she at least is listening. Like I said she told me she would do whatever I wanted but right now I have a whole bunch of questions It just depends on how she answers them.
Unread 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Age is often taken into consideration. Age as well as history, pain level, closeness of menopausal age, etc. Because for some women, things can get better after menopause. Many factors are taken into consideration and should be.

And if you have adenomyosis which causes alot of pain, a D & C wouldn't help, because the endometrium is embedded into the muscle itself. So scraping the inside won't help the adenomyosis. Also fibroids can also be in places that are difficult to get at. Some are easily accessible and some are not. There are different types of fibroids, look them up and ask what kind you have. Be your own best advocate. That way your mind will be at ease, no matter what you decide and incidently most women don't choose to lose their uterus, many hysterectomy decisions are based on a patient and Dr. working together. Also if all alternatives have been exhausted, a hysterectomy might be the best way to go. I'm not saying it is for you, just saying many women do beautifully after having a hysterectomy and are very happy with their decision.

Always ask what the options are. Whatever you choose, there is alot of support on these boards. Keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register