Am I overdoing it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I overdoing it? Am I overdoing it?

Unread 11-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Am I overdoing it?

I had my LSH on 10 October. Everything went well, and I've been feeling great since week 2. I went to see my gynaecologist 2 weeks after the op, and he said that with LSH there are fewer restrictions as to what you can do and suggested I get back into my normal routine, take baths, cycle, etc. However, I preferred to stick to Hystersisters' recommendations as much as possible, because I didn't feel ready to do too much. I'm now a month post-op, and I still haven't taken a bath (don't worry, I'm showering instead!)and am not cycling (can't ride a bike!), nor have I had sex for a month. However, as the doctor recommended getting excercise every day, I'm going out to do light shopping or errands every day, but I get tired very quickly. Last weekend the weather was beautiful, so my husband and I went out. On Saturday we walked around town all day with frequent stops for coffee, etc. On Sunday we went to the country for some gentle walking, again with frequent stops. We were out all day again, and I felt great. However, this week I'm getting tired really quickly again, and my tummy is pulling. It's true that even when at home I do spend quite a lot of time on my feet, whether it's cooking or planting spring bulbs in pots (on the table so I don't have to bend too much), and maybe I'm not resting enough.

We had hoped to go away this weekend, but have decided to cancel it now, as even the thought of a long journey is too much.

I'm supposed to be back in work on Monday 14 November, but really don't feel up to it. My visit to the surgeon is on Wednesday 16 November, so I'll see if he can prolong my sick leave.

Do you think I'm doing too much and not resting enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Am I overdoing it?

Yes, Snooba, I do.
I am 5 weeks post-op and at some points along the way I have felt quite well. But at the moment I feel awful. I started doing too much (but nowhere near as much as you)and I feel physically ill - exhausted, weak and even nauseous at times.

I had SAH and other procedures, but even though you had a 'less invasive' procedure, you still have alot of internal healing to do, and it's still a big shock to the body.

You definitely need to rest more, and pamper yourself!

Miz x
Unread 11-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Am I overdoing it?

I'm not an expert and I didn't have the same surgery as you, but I agree with advice I've read before and that's listen to your own body. Take it slow. It sounds to me as if your body is telling you to slow down and rest more. Take care and heal. s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Am I overdoing it?

Dear Snooba,

My hysterectomy with removal of ovaries was on October 5th. I too felt pretty good in an amazingly short time after surgery. Apart from a large hematoma under the incision which only stopped bleeding a week and a half ago, I have been able to resume long distance walking. I thought I was very strong until we headed out of town for a few days. After numerous hours on my feet, a change in regular diet and generally straying from my routine at home, I felt awful. On the third day I was vomiting and extremely weak. I think that we are probably best to stick to a fairly regular routine for the next little while. I was shocked at how quickly this feeling of unwellness came on and I now realize that I am probably not as strong as I'd like to think.

Hope this note now finds you well and that you are enjoying the walking and healing process. From my experience, pushing or testing my limits proved to be a mistake.

Good luck and take care of yourself,
Pinkypal.
Unread 11-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Am I overdoing it?

Thanks so much for your replies. Maybe I was overdoing it. My husband always gets home late and too tired to cook, and I usually cook for us both. However, this evening I asked him to pick up a Thai take away dinner. I feel much better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register