Telling others about hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Telling others about hysterectomy Telling others about hysterectomy

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Telling others about hysterectomy

I am newly diagnosed, and have only told a few select people about my inveitable surgery. I don't know if I think that people will be unsupportive, or not understanding. Maybe I don't know how to tell people, or I feel embarassed about it.
How did you tell friends and family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Re: Telling others about hysterectomy

To each his own really sister. Depends on you. Personally I am a very upfront matter of act person. When people asked I said I had a hysterectomy straight faced and looking them in the eye. Most just said "oh". But that's me and some may not be comfortable that straight forward. Whatever you want to do will be perfect.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM

We waited until we received our biopsy results before we told too many. I am not ashamed but haven't exactly shouted from the rooftops either. We mostly told those closest to us. And I would suggest that for you because you will need help after surgery..meals...etc (and if people offer to help..let them!). We only told those who were truly concerned and needed to know and not those who just want to know because something is going on and they feel left out of the loop. Praying for you and your road ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie. View Post
I am newly diagnosed, and have only told a few select people about my inveitable surgery. I don't know if I think that people will be unsupportive, or not understanding. Maybe I don't know how to tell people, or I feel embarassed about it.
How did you tell friends and family?
Hi, Jackie. I don't know your personal story, but it has been easy for me to tell people who matter to me and I have found that people have responded in a caring and supportive way. I am not embarrassed that I have fibroids resulting in this surgery. I am not embarrassed by the need for surgery. As unfortunate as my medical condition is, I have been very positive about everything and I am looking forward to a strong and healthy future. People will feed off your energy and they mirror back some of what they think they are picking up from you. So be strong and thimk positively.

Many blessings!

biggums
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM

What would you say to those people if it were your gallbladder or appendix?
Biggums is correct- this is a medical decision, a big one, certainly, but nothing to be embarrassed about.

I just told those who needed to know that I had developed fibroids and that a hysterectomy was my best option for ending the cycle of problems the tumors were causing.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:09 PM

I understand the feeling of embarrassment and wanting to keep the surgery private. I only told two people at work and my family. I asked DH to not tell his friends or his family. My surgery was a difficult, emotional and private decision and I did not want to share.

Share what you want to share. Tell who you're comfortable telling. We are all different and we need to do what's right for us.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM

Share with those who need to know...I let a select few know as soon as it was scheduled...Today I let the world know...just as many people who were the first to know offered to help....
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM

I'm pretty open an upfront too. I just told people. I also took pleasure I'm telling the people who made a point of telling me...u'll change ur mind and have kids someday....yeah um...not likely! Lol
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM

I think it's a personal decision and there's no right / wrong answer. it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but for me it was private and I didn't want to discuss it.

I told a few close friends who would figure out something was up when my boyfriend and I were suddenly unavailable to do things. But I have a very large circle of friends and most have no idea.

Very few people at work know why I was out of the office. My manager doesn't even know why I was out. She's nice and supportive and said it was none of her business.

Come to think of it, a lot of my family members don't even know. It's funny, I just didn't feel like broadcasting it.

Again, no right or wrong answer. I wouldn't have told people if I was having other surgery, dental work, or you name it either.
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM

I told only the people that I felt needed to know. Many people at work know I'm going to be off but they don't know why. It's a personal choice on who you tell but it's nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed of. It's a medical need, and if you choose to tell people and they judge you for your decision, it is telling you who you really need in your life. I told a friend who chose to immediately respond by telling me I needed to go on this herbal supplement that worked for her. She didn't even listen to my story about how I ended up making the decision I did and chose to judge me for making a decision she never would have. I haven't spoken with her since.
If people choose to judge you, that's their issue. Only you alone know what's best for you, and you will likely find yourself surrounded by supportive friends you never even knew cared about you that much.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register