Vaginal Cuff Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Cuff Question Vaginal Cuff Question

Unread 01-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

Hi. I had my cervix removed along with uterus and tubes. Kept ovaries.

The nurse called me 4 days after surgery to check on me. By that time I had read about vaginal cuffs. She stated that my doctor doesn't do a vaginal cuff because it's just another way for cancer to developed in the cuff. So why put it there. So I was just sown up.

Does anyone not have a cuff?

I am going to inquire about this at my 6 week appt with my doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Vaginal Cuff Question

I'm almost 8 weeks post op and was not told I'd have a cuff . My surgeon told me the top of my vagina would be open due to having the cervix taken. I had TAH and overies remain also. I'm going to ask my surgeon .
Unread 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Re: Vaginal Cuff Question

Vaginal cuff is the term used when the end of the vagina is sewn shut. The end of the vagina is closed, otherwise the vagina is open to the pelvic cavity and the intestines could fall out. Everyone who has had their cervix removed has a vaginal cuff.

Vaginal Cuff: What Is It?

I hope the article above helps! Perhaps the nurse you spoke to was confused about the term.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2016, 08:28 PM

My understanding is that the "vaginal cuff" is just the stiching at the top of the vagina. So you do have a vaginal cuff, it just sounds like your nurse didn't know that this is what it is called.
Unread 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM

The cuff is the name for the stitching that closes off your vagina. If you had your cervix removed, you must have a cuff, because if you didn't your insides would be open to the outside world and there would be nothing stopping your intestines falling out!
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:24 AM
Vaginal Cuff Question

So that means if someone was to have a bladder prolapse it would sit on the cuff? I thought it would be left open but the sides stitched down . My surgeon really didn't explain that at all.
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:53 AM

If you had your cervix removed, you have a vaginal cuff.

When they cut out and remove your cervix, that leaves an open hole on the top of your vagina.

They stitch the two sides of the vagina together, so that your insides don't fall out (when they remove the cervix that hole leads directly to your internal body cavity.)

The two sides of the vagina that they sew together at the top is what is called the "Vaginal Cuff".
Unread 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM

The other important thing the cuff does is it stops things from getting in. That part of your body is not designed to be open to the outside world in any way, so infections would probably occur very easily if all the bugs in the outside world could get in.

I'm just letting my mind run with this... imagine having a bath, all the water would get in to your insides! You'd have bath water getting to all your internal organs; not good!
Unread 01-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Vaginal Cuff Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi111 View Post
The other important thing the cuff does is it stops things from getting in. That part of your body is not designed to be open to the outside world in any way, so infections would probably occur very easily if all the bugs in the outside world could get in.

I'm just letting my mind run with this... imagine having a bath, all the water would get in to your insides! You'd have bath water getting to all your internal organs; not good!
LoL. The imagery there.

You are Definitely correct on keeping things out. I was immediately started on antibiotics when my cuff stitches ripped.
Unread 01-30-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi75 View Post
So that means if someone was to have a bladder prolapse it would sit on the cuff? I thought it would be left open but the sides stitched down . My surgeon really didn't explain that at all.
Most surgeons do not explain this. My doctor never used the term "vaginal cuff" with me. When I asked him what would happen to the end of my vagina, he simply said "I'll sew it shut". The vast majority of us seem to learn this term here.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register