problems urinating after LAVH and sling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

problems urinating after LAVH and sling problems urinating after LAVH and sling

Unread 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM
problems urinating after LAVH and sling

Hello,
I'm trying not to worry yet - just had surg Oct 26th. Except for the peeing prob. feel pretty good. Had to rush to ER day after release to relieve 900 cc of urine I retained. Went back on Foley cath. Saw doc Monday, but no progress and came back home with cath. Went back today, some success, came home with self-cath tubes to use in case of retaining problems (and to avoid rush to ER again!). I feel like there is improvement but don't feel the urge as often and can only go maybe 4-5 oz. at a time. I guess tonight will be the test. Doc says if I have to resort to self-cath, to call uro-gyn on Fri. I just want to stay home and rest! Doc is 30 min away in good traffic and I have been back and forth since my release, walking, waiting, sitting, watching pregnant women go in and out of my OB/GYN's office, gone for hours each time. Have everything at home prepared for my pampered, peaceful, restful recovery, but not able to enjoy so far! I see many stories worse than mine but no one here wants to hear about pee, so I needed to vent! I hope everyone feels better soon, and I really appreciate this site.
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2007, 04:29 PM

I am in exactly the same boat. I had TVH, A&P, Sacrospinal on the 26th. They took the catheter out on Sat. I ended up in so much pain that I was crying hysterically. They put the catheter back in and got 1200 cc's! The nurse was astounded. Tried to go again on Sunday but could not do it. So I came home with the catheter. Went to the urlogist today and I still can't go. So I am at the self-catheter stage. Doctor said the repairs look good I am just very swollen up.
Unread 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM

Wow - 1200cc (!) They acted so surprised at the hosp at my 900cc, so it had me worried, like it was so unusual. I guess that's why we need this support site. It's great to be able to at least know others are going through these frustrating, sometimes embarrassing situations. I've been sloshing around back and forth at the doc's office (you think everyone can tell you're wearing the pee bag >) and it seems like there's no one else there but all the happy pregnant women. I do hope you have success soon.
Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM

I am also in the same boat!I had a TLH with bso and a bladder sling.I had surgery on momday.and finnally came home this afternoon.I am self-cathing also.dose anybody else find it difficult to self cath?I can't really tell where the uretha is It takes for ever to get it right.I hope that we all start going really soon.
Unread 10-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm here to say there's hope!!

Hi gals, I too had probs peeing after TAVH, AP repair and Monarc (sling) on Oct 12. When they took the foley out on day 2, I couldn't pee, so they put it back in for the night. Same thing happened the next day, and so I had to start self-cathing. The good news is that I only had to self cath about 4 times before leaving hospital and my body kicked in. I must say that peeing still doesn't feel quite right yet, and I do have a UTI (will finish anti-biotics on Fri). I have feelings of fullness like I'm not fully emptying and also have still going frequently. Everything that I have read and been told by nurses and docs is that this is all normal. I think part of the problem is relaxing. What I would do in hospital is take really long showers and use a handheld shower head on my tummy/peri area, which seemed to really help me relax and then I would pee in the shower. (I know it's not ideal, but hey it worked for me!) I also found the self cathing hard at times (couldn't get it in the right place!!) For me it just took a few times peeing in the shower with the warm water, and it was like my body "remembered" what to do and after that things got better. I still do the same at home as like I said..things aren't exactly back to normal. I guess we just have to be patient...after all we are still healing. I keep trying to tell myself this, but I know it's really hard especially when things aren't working right. I remember self cathing, and being really worried that I was never going to be normal. Anyhow, I have seen alot of improvement since my surgery. I hope that helps. Sometimes it's just nice to know others have walked in your shoes. Hang in there gals!
Unread 11-01-2007, 12:03 AM

well i am happy to report that I can pee! well I can pee a little.I am not emptying out my bladder yet so i still have to self cath but at this point I will take a little over nothing! Hang in there sisters we can do this!
hugs to all,
Unread 11-01-2007, 04:49 AM

Hey, I made it through a night - no cath, no ridiculously full bladder! Like ya'll have said, it doesn't feel right yet, but it's better each time I go. It was also nice to get some sleep. The Foley was really uncomfortable, made me crampy and I couldn't prop my knees up like I was used to. If you are using one, ask about self-cathing, so you can can a break from the tube between "pees". I don't know what problems you are having, littlebratt, but I had my doc hold up a mirror so I could see the little hole. I had no idea what was down there ! Good luck.
Unread 11-01-2007, 06:52 AM

Hi gollyg59
I had the monarch sling, plus some other repairs and had to do the self cathing too. I was upset at the thought at first, but then I was upset at most everything. I used a mirror until I got the feel of where everything was. Were you given one of those little hat measuring things to put in the toilet? I used that to rest the mirror on and it worked great.

I think for most of us it's the swelling that makes it so hard at first. The bladder is also traumatized by being moved and handled so much. It took quite a while to get back to what I would call normal. I would sit and wait and think and finally be able to make myself go. I learned there was no being quick for a while, but that was alright as long as I accomplished the task in the end.

I hope this continues to get better for you. I really believe it will. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Hi Ladies:
First off, this website had been a godsend...I have gained more info from here than my Dr. sad to say. I too have our sling, had Lap, still have ovaries, cervix and one tube. Three weeks today, the cath was my difficulty. They kept it in me for almost a week, it was my first time with a cath in my life. Got a UTI after they took it out, and the biggest key was talking to a nurse that told me it was KEY to relax as much as you could to urinate. I love the suggestion to use the warm water in the shower to help relax. I have to also self cath, but I am down to some fairly normal levels, (170 - 180 cc left over). I am glad to know the frequency is normal, and also am looking at the self cath as great relief if I cannot go. So far, going, just frequently. I am trying to be patient.
Again, the website is fantastic, and I am so glad for this little forum too (problems urinating...). Feeling good at three weeks, still pampering myself and enjoying my time to myself.
Thanks ladies for all your knowledge and support!

Dar
Unread 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM

hello ladies, I think i am on the road to recovery.I was discharged yesterday afternoon and once i got home I started to pee a little more normally.I think i just needed to be home to relax a little more.I still have to self cath but i am able to go a little more now and I only have 200-250 cc's left in my bladder (i was having allmost 500cc's)so i hope by the end of next week i will be back to normal in the bladder area.good luck to all,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register