Staples? Stitches? Depends on doctor? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staples?  Stitches?  Depends on doctor? Staples? Stitches? Depends on doctor?

Unread 12-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Staples? Stitches? Depends on doctor?

I talked to my doctor's nurse last week and asked her about how he closes. If he uses staples or stitches. She said that he would be using stitches and then that would be covered up.

I've seen some women talk about staples. Does this depend on the doctor?

Are you gals sick of my questions yet?

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 11:16 AM
both

Actually, they close everything up underneath the skin with disolvable stitches and then generally staple the final skin layer. I have heard of some ladies getting "glued" but I think they prefer the staples because that part of the stomach gets a bit of use (pulling and tugging). I had gall bladder surgery years ago..like 30 eeek.. and they taped it up. Weird scar for that one...flat and wide. The staples are no big deal..
Unread 12-05-2003, 11:24 AM

Thank you. Do they fall out or do the doctors take them out like at a certain time?

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 11:30 AM
removal

The doctor will tell you when you are discharged from the hospital when to come in to get them removed. My cousin was staying with me after the surgery and she was getting all the info when we were leaving the hospital and she's had some experience with all of this.. she told them she would take them out. They said "cool"... so, we were told that they could come out on Tuesday (surgery on Thurs.) You need a sort of scissors kind of thing to do it with. Well.. she started to take them out and an area about an inch long started to open up. We quickly put some more tape on that area and left the staples alone for another day. She then took every other one out and some were actually almost falling out. It was just another day before the rest came out. It wasn't bad. If you have someone who isn't too squeemish I'd say do that. It would have done me in to have to get in the car and go wait at the doc's, then get up on the table and down for just that.
Unread 12-05-2003, 12:54 PM

The nurse said someting about seeing the doctor a week afterward. I wonder now if that's what she meant.

Thank you for the advice.

Linda
Unread 12-05-2003, 01:16 PM

I just had my pre-op yesterday and I was told that I would have dissolvable stiches. I was expecting staples, since I am having a TAH, but like many other issues, what I expected isn't what's going to happen!!! Hope this helps...
Rachel
Unread 12-05-2003, 01:19 PM

Thank you Rachel. It does help.

Linda
Unread 12-05-2003, 01:33 PM

Hey girlies...
I had a TAH on 11-11 ... and much to my surprise... ( I thought I was stapled for 3 days) my seven inch incision was glued externally ( of course stitched internally). My friend had a TAH a month before me with the same dr. and she was stapled. I am not sure how they determine what closure method. AND I had to see my dr. a week afer surgery, he just checked incision. Just wanted to say though, I haven't had one problem with the super-glue job and I think it may just help the healing process. No bacteria or anything can get it and it looks really pretty good (for an incision) I asked the dr. about putting anything on it to speed the healing like you see on TV, but he told me no.. just soap and water and pat dry.

Good luck to all and isn't this site wonderful... I didn't find the site til post-op but it has been a Godsend. Don't forget to get those last minute Christmas things out of the way... you will need to rest and rest when you come home from the Castle.
Unread 12-05-2003, 04:57 PM

Hi SnowieBird

Maybe it depends on the person. The healing site, etc.

That glue sounds awesome. I'd love to be able to do that instead of stitches.

Linda
Unread 12-05-2003, 05:05 PM

They used the glue on my when they removed my gallbladder. Some women do great with it, others have difficulty. I ended up having to have my incision reopened and allowed to heal without stitches or the glue, but not everyone will have the adverse reaction to the glue that I did (sort of a mild allergic reaction, swelled up around the site and oh lord! did it itch!)

So, my suggestion would be ask the doctor again! Be specific and ask exactly how they plan on closing the incision.

Hugs to you and hope your castle stay goes well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register