Question about lifting post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about lifting post op Question about lifting post op

Unread 01-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Question about lifting post op

One thing I don't get is if you're not supposed to lift anything post op, then how are you able to help yourself up out of a chair or out of bed without having the same problems? Do you use different muscles to support yourself or something?
Fro-yo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 06:21 AM

I think it is using the different muscles. When you lift anything you definitely use your belly muscles. When you are trying to get yourselp up you will know what you are doing/how to do it.

shelly
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:17 AM

Hi, my dr put me on a 5# lifting limit for the first week after my hyst - then a 10# limit for a few more weeks. He explained that lifting puts a tremendous strain on the abdomin and after a hyst the abdomin ( especially with an abdominal cut ) needs time to heal. There are lots and lots of internal stitches as well as any external.

I learned to get up and down from bed or sitting using my elbows and arms to avoid any strain on my poor sore tummy

BTW, the Hystersisters store here sells a thing called the Abnostrain that is very useful in helping to get out of bed without hurting yourself.

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 09:22 AM

I think the lifting muscles are different from the muscles you use to get in and out of a chair. The first week or so you have to be very careful getting in and out of a chair or bed. I was sitting in a recliner and had to have my husband or daughter put the recliner up and down for me.

The lifting thing is very important to pay attention to. When I went to my post-op appointment my doctor told me that 3-4 weeks was critical in the healing process. You start feeling better at that point but that's when most of the healing internally takes place. The tissue takes over from the stitches and you need to be very careful to let this healing happen.

I am 3 weeks post-up tomorrow from my TAH. I'm healing very well but I'm being very careful. I'm not pushing myself at all and I'm letting my body have the time it needs to heal.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register