Scheduled LAVH HELP!? Catheter Standard ops!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!?  Catheter Standard ops!? HELP!? Catheter Standard ops!?

Unread 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
HELP!? Catheter Standard ops!?

I have NO clue about this whole catheter bizness for hysterectomy. (heck, my last surgery was July of 1975 and I was four...don't remember much except that I had better eyes two weeks after that!).

What's the word on catheters? Will it depend on the TYPE of hysterectomy!???

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Re: HELP!? Catheter Standard ops!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretschGal View Post
I have NO clue about this whole catheter bizness for hysterectomy. (heck, my last surgery was July of 1975 and I was four...don't remember much except that I had better eyes two weeks after that!).

What's the word on catheters? Will it depend on the TYPE of hysterectomy!???

T
I think that everyone gets one for surgery. Mine was put in while I was under the anesthesia and stayed in until the next morning. I never felt it and it was actually nice not to have to get up to urinate. Don't worry about it.
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM

No, pretty much all cases have a cath inserted during sorgery and removed next day, sometimes same day. For some, longer. I dreaded it but it was no problem after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Yes, it is standard. Like stated above it is put in when you are under. I was happy to have it in so I did not have to get up to go potty. They took it out the next morning and was no problem, just a strange sensation coming out and it literally took a few seconds. Best wishes.
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM

I was concerned about the cath as well and I asked about it at my pre-op. A catheter is a tube with a balloon at the end and is inserted just an inch or two and the balloon is filled with saline so it stays in. When the time comes to have it taken out the balloon is emptied and the tube slips out.

I woke up from surgery and honestly didn't realize I had the catheter in until I noticed the nurse emptying the bag (which was down on the side of the bed) into a jug. I never felt it at all and boy, it was sure nice not to have to get up the first day or so. You aren't even aware that your bladder is emptying.
Also remember you're going to be on pain meds, and nothing is really going to bother you too much :-)

When the time came to take it out it was super quick and I really felt very little sensation. It did take some time to get regular bladder function back though because it doesn't have the uterus to press up against like it used to. I called it 'gravity-fed' peeing. It wasn't difficult or anything, I was just patient and relaxed when I sat down and let things happen.

I fretted about this before surgery but it turned out to be nothing that needed fretting over and I hope your experience is as smooth as mine was!
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm having a TLH/BSO and when I asked my doctor about the catheter, he said that I would have one during the surgery, but that it would be put in after I was knocked out and taken out before I woke up. To ease your mind, just ask your doctor and I'm sure you can find out what will be happening in your specific situation. And try not to stress out about it too much in the meantime.
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:35 PM

Everyone having any type of hysterectomy will get a catheter put in for the surgery. They do this to empty the bladder thus moving it out of their way and less chance of them injuring it. When it comes out is purely doctor preference. It seems most doctors leave it in till the next morning. Like others have said it is nicce to not have to get up to pee that first day. It isnt painful to have it removed just a weird sensation. Don't worry about it.
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:56 PM

thanks, you guys. Nice to know they will do that during the surgery. was not real sure if it was a seperate process, or whatever.
Unread 10-29-2010, 11:13 PM

I think it helps to exhale as it comes out. To me, it is no worse than pulling out a tampon. Over very quickly.
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:27 AM

One advantage to having it the first day & night is that you don't have to worry about being fully awake to go to the bathroom. They have so many ways to take care of everyone that surgery wasn't that bad for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register