Not Scheduled third biopsy attempt before hysterectomy -freaked out. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

third biopsy attempt before hysterectomy -freaked out. third biopsy attempt before hysterectomy -freaked out.

Unread 08-04-2016, 01:05 AM
third biopsy attempt before hysterectomy -freaked out.

Hello

Last week my gynae confirmed I needed a hysterectomy but that as I am on the cancer pathway I must have a biopsy. I am scheduled for the third attempt at biopsy next Wednesday.

So much info to give so I'll bullet point as my brain is all over the place:
  • A history of fibroid, polyps and adenomyosis
    Horrible periods since 2004 when had first of Nancy surgeries
    Had UAE in 2013
    Late May post coital bleeding that didn't stop
    Cancer pathway referral
    Gynae poo pooed it as peri menopausal bleed and tried to do I. Office no pain relief biopsy
    Abandoned as pain horrific - left quite traumatised
    Gynae referred for general anaesthetic Hysteroscopy
    Told need Myrena coil despite my protest and reference to history
    Referred for ultrasound
    Ultrasound Saturday /hysteroscopy Wed
    Internal ultrasound so painful
    Registrar on morning had to be prompted to look at scan.
    Scan stated I have severely retroverted uterus (long term issue)
    Told registrar I did not want coil (retroverted uterus)
    Awoke in recovery in agony and told procedure failed due to creation of false passage through cervix.
    Given fentanyl and codeine and told I was being kept in overnight for monitoring and intravenous antibiotics.
    Post coital bleed stopped abruptly
    Visited my GP who is wonderful and worked in gynae. She was horrified at what had happened as my retroverted status was on my records. She wrote a strong letter to gynae stating that and how scared I was.
    GP told me I needed a biopsy as scan showed return of adenomyosis but also issues with wall of uterus.
    I got a call from Day Procedure Unit booking me in for 10/8 biopsy
    Then got call from gynae pa, had to see her.
    Gynae went through my history and said i had run out of options so definitely needed a hysterectomy. States must do biopsy first.
    So on waiting list
    Apparently next biopsy attempt will be just that, no need for camera to reduce risk of further damage.

I am terrified. I am terrified of it going wrong again.
I am terrified of it being cancer

I am so confused about what hysterectomy to have as gynae said I needed to think about if I wanted to keep cervix and ovaries. I thought keeping cervix wasn't an option with adenomyosis.

I am quite emotional but also under a lot of stress at work due to member of my team being far from supportive. My probation was extended due to her antics so my future may involve having a job, possibly a cancer diagnosis and a definite hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Re: third biopsy attempt before hysterectomy -freaked out.

I'm not familiar with the system for referrals in the UK, but with an experience like you've had with your GYN, I'd be seeking the services of a different doctor. Is that possible?

Adenomyosis was an incidental finding of my pathology report, in addition to uterine fibroids. The medical community is divided on whether it provides pelvic support or whether retaining it is better for our sex lives. My doctor is an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doctor, and with no abnormal pap smears in 20 years, no history of cervical cancer in my family, and no sign of endo or adeno initially, he didn't see the need to take it and I agreed. If you have a history of adeno, there's always that chance that the cervix might be affected as well since the uterine lining extends into the cervix.

I can't speak to the cancer issue you might be facing, but I know there are a lot of Sisters here who are cancer survivors and had a hysterectomy as part of their treatment. I'm hoping some of them will share their insight and wisdom.
Try not to think of worst case scenarios, and take one day at a time, dear lady!
Unread 08-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Thank you so much. Your message brought tears to my eyes. Thankfully my team are understanding of my fears re the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2016, 08:56 AM

My gyn attempted to do an endometrial biopsy as an office procedure. This failed due to my stiff, narrow cervix. (I was post-menopausal and had never had children.) We booked an OR slot for a D&C/hysteroscopy instead.

My gyn prescribed four tablets of misoprostol, two for me to place up my vagina the evening before the procedure and the other two to go up there the morning of. The purpose of the misoprostol was to help dilate the cervix.

In my case, the D&C/hysteroscopy went very smoothly. (That's how I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer.)

I can't help but think that in your case misoprostol won't hurt and might help.
Unread 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM

(((Bandita))) I'm so very sorry you've had to go through all of this. Hopefully, things moving forward will be much smoother for you. As far as the cancer possibility, it sounds like they're wanting to rule out any type of uterine cancer. I had a different type of cancer but do know that the cervix is usually removed in the case of a uterine malignancy. And, the ovaries are as well, due to uterine cancers often being hormonally driven. Ovaries can usually be retained with a cervical cancer diagnosis, however. Even if this would be cancer related, uterine cancers most often are slower growers, so there's every chance that you'd be catching things at a stage when they'd be most treatable. In other words, don't panic!

We'll keep our fingers crossed and send positive thoughts for a successful procedure with a totally boring biopsy result. But, we do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out as well, if the need arises. There's a lot of great information and ladies who'll be glad to share their experiences. You CAN do this!
Unread 08-05-2016, 01:17 AM

The relief receiving your messages brings is huge. I can talk to my friends and sister but they don't really understand what I'm saying or how I feel. Thank you
Unread 08-05-2016, 07:41 AM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register