Four months post-op from TAH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Four months post-op from TAH Four months post-op from TAH

Unread 05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Four months post-op from TAH

I didn't have a choice either, but I don't regret it one bit. I was told back in 1999 that I should have it done then, and knowing what I know now, I was a fool for not doing it.

Hindsight is 20/20 right?

I'm 5 months post op and my iron levels are finally normal (I have a secondary health issue that affects that too, so it took a long time). I have energy again. I got up from dinner last night after getting home from a week long conference for work, and I started cleaning house. I can't even remember the last time I had that kind of energy.

I had my last period a week before surgery and it was horrid. I won't ever miss that monthly mess. My sex drive is as high as it ever was too, and it's much easier to, um, get there, if you know what I mean. (trying to keep this PG rated). The pain is gone, that has a lot to do with that.

The only after effects that I have are a little more trouble sleeping, and I wouldn't call it constipation, I just don't have the lead time that I used to feel before I needed to get to the bathroom anymore. When I have to go, I have to go soon. Holding it is much more uncomfortable than it used to be. I guess thats not such a bad thing though.

I'm not glad I had cancer, that was a head trip, but I'm thankful that I don't have to deal with the monthly mess anymore, and menopause hasn't been too hard on me either.

No regrets here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 04:28 PM

That would be a big ole YES from me. My only problem is that I still can't fathom never ever ever having a period again. It's like a dream. No more mess, no more going through 2 boxes of super tampons in one week. No more planning life around cramps.

Freedom!
Unread 05-10-2008, 04:32 PM

My LSH was 3 years ago. It took me 10 years to decide to have a LSH. I tried everything else first. Without a doubt, it was the best decision for me. My quality of life completely changed. I no longer travel with one suitcase full of feminine supplies (still having to buy more while on vacation). In the one year before surgery, I had a total of 6 weeks of no bleeding (if you hooked all the single days together). I had no idea how much pain I was in until it was gone. The worst part of my recovery hurt less than the pain I was in every month. Regrets...only one, I wish I had done it sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Hi Sisters!

I too, would do it again in a heartbeat! No pain and no more daily bleeding all the time, oh yes indeed I'd do it again!
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Sammy, I hope that you feel positive soon. Not knowing your story, I have no clue why you would be feeling negative a month post-op.

Having LSH was one of the BEST things I have done, health-wise. I did not have horrid problems, for years, as many have. I did have horridly heavy periods, all my life. I did get pregnant very easily (first time we tried, it happened). But could not again. Well, my Dr. told me that I probably did conceive, but never made it past the first period. Looking back, it had to be the fibroid causing that.

Fast-forward 10 years and I ended up with the same horrid periods (4-5 super tampons an hour for two days) and a 10 day cycle, to becoming a 25 day cycle.

I went to my Dr. who sent me for an ultra sound....it didn't show much, so she referred me to a GYN, who did an "in house" ultra sounds and found at least one fibroid. That was the end of July and I set my surgery date the next week for September of that year. I was almost giddy! No more periods! YEA!!! It has now been a year and a half (a bit more) and I am very pleased!
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Well, I am only 10 days post op but I can already tell that YES, I would do it again. My periods were horrid and I already feel better!!

I am very sorry for anyone who had no choice in the matter though.
Unread 05-11-2008, 03:54 PM

Hello ladies i am only a week and a half post op but honestly this was the best decision i have ever made. i am finally pain free and i feel so good. i am so glad i didnt let my age (28) scare me out of the operation. Thank you to all the ladies on this site for the love and support
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Thank you so much, reading the posts do help.
I guess the suddeness of the surgery, didn't give me time to prepare mentally, luckily I was physically very fit and well.
Sammy
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:51 PM

[quote=GizmoCat]Sammy, I hope that you feel positive soon. Not knowing your story, I have no clue why you would be feeling negative a month post-op.

QUOTE]

I'm hoping so too.
I hope this is not TMI,
On 27th MArch I had difficulty passing urine, pain and pressure, later that night/early hours I had severe pain and an unexpected bleed, saw GP/Dr the next day and arranged an ultrasound as my unterus was 12-14 weeks in size. More unexplained bleeding and pain, difficulty peeing. Feeling generally unwell. Became very unwell Monday 7th April, pain, USS showed grossly abnormal fibrous uterus and 14 week size. I'm an RN and ended up being admitted to the surgical unit at the hospital I work at, for pain control and antibiotics. The pressure of the firbroids meant I had more difficulty peeing. On the Thursday 10th Gynaecologist said the only solution was a TAH and I would be first on the theatre list the next day. I didn't really have time to think and felt so ill, so had the surgery the next day. I guess I'm still a bit in shock and my recovery hasn't been great.

I know there are so many positives..... no periods. I think I'll feel better once I get it sorted in my own head.

Thank you for your concern, I have found some wonderful information on this forum.
Sammy
Unread 05-11-2008, 09:53 PM

I would not do it again, i feel like i should have done more before i just went & had a total Hysterectomy. i feel worse than before the surgery. Although i am dealing with a few other diseases(Fibro, Cfs, MVP) My Fault tho, i didnt do my homework very good before i had my surgery. also had a couple friends that had cancer, so that made me jump the Gun too i keep praying that in a few months i'll be tooting my horn like most of you here!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register